U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:57 AM

12,165 posts, read 5,245,417 times

Advertisements

This was never a problem when there was one phone in the house and it was mounted on the kitchen wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:59 AM

5,090 posts, read 1,942,456 times
I understand people have pet peeves, but I would just be grateful my kids were taking any time out of their days to connect with me - the noise is another thing - not sure what could be done about that.

Old Today, 12:02 PM

6,967 posts, read 1,471,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Im definitely a car talker. I have a couple of friends that I will catch up with while driving; I can not stand sitting at home talking on the phone. Hate it. If Im sitting at home, Im either on the computer or watching TV. I dont want to talk on the phone while doing either. Much easier for me to catch up while Im driving. No one seems to have a problem with it, and they will call me the same way. The only way I can imagine sitting at home talking on the phone is if Ive lost electric and theres nothing to do but wait.
Sorry, but I really do dislike it when I am driving and see someone yakking on the phone. I see so many people swerving in their lane (and sometimes into the other lane) or going too slow for the flow of traffic or not noticing when the light turns green. Maybe you are one of the "exceptions", but along with texting while driving, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I really do wish that there was some kind of cellphone jammer installed in cars in which cellphones would not work unless the engine was turned off.

Last edited by katharsis; Today at 12:28 PM..

Old Today, 12:19 PM

823 posts, read 282,950 times
My pet peeve are distracted drivers. Like those who are on the phone while driving. Its actually terrifying what many people consider “normal” driver behavior. No wonder traffic is such a disaster in this country.

Old Today, 12:19 PM

6,708 posts, read 4,185,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I love this post.

There was a thread in Psychology recently about an article that states that no one can really actually multi-task, that you're actually interrupting one task and attending to another, and any human brain is only able to actually focus on one thing at a time.

BALDERDASH I say. I got so fussy seeing that, I couldn't even respond on the thread.

You and I, we understand. When I was in school, I got in a lot of trouble for drawing in class. The teachers were just so damn sure that I was not paying attention to them. In fact, I was absorbing every word, IF they let me be engaged in drawing. I believe this is related to learning styles...I've heard something about visual, auditory, and kinetic learners. I am not an auditory learner. If I was to sit there staring at the teacher, my brain would start to shut down and I'd fall asleep. Check right out. I couldn't do it. But let me occupy my hands and eyes with some kind of busy work (knitting would have worked, too) and it keeps the mind firing on all cylinders, able to take in and remember the lecture just fine! As proven by my perfect test scores.

It drives me crazy how other people want to tell me they know better how my brain works than I do, and for every supposedly scientific article saying this, I can find one that says THAT, so we can all cite sources 'till the cows come home. Ugh.

For those saying that talking on the phone while driving is "distracted" driving, OK how about music? Do you drive in complete silence? How about holding a conversation with a passenger? Do you demand everyone ride in your car in complete silence? I sure don't. And frankly if my brain is not stimulated...and sometimes driving is very boring...then I do find it wandering, or getting drowsy. Sometimes re-engaging it via a phone conversation is just the thing to keep me alert.
YES. I relate 100% to the mind wandering when the eyes and hands are not busy. I was an inveterate draw-er and doodler in school because it enabled me to listen and absorb so much better. In elementary school, every one of my worksheets had a picture on the back and bless those teachers, none of them cared. I was a straight-A student, by the way. But in junior high, a teacher held up one of my back-of-the-worksheet drawings and ridiculed me in front of the class. So I switched to self-teaching Japanese and writing characters on the backs of my papers.

On the other hand, the thing about driving while listening to music or an audio book is that you don't have to respond to it and you can turn it off or down any time. If you're talking to passengers in the car, they are actually seeing what you see and tend to stop talking in critical driving moments and even call your attention to things going on in the road. If you're on the phone, though, you don't have any of that. The other person just yaks away without regard to the conditions you're driving in, and you can't easily shut them up, and you're also expected to reply without pausing. That's why phones are statistically more distracting/dangerous than listening to music or talking to a passenger.

ETA: I'm referring to non-handheld phones. Handheld phones add another level of distraction.

Last edited by saibot; Today at 12:55 PM..

Old Today, 12:21 PM

6,708 posts, read 4,185,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This was never a problem when there was one phone in the house and it was mounted on the kitchen wall.
Oh, my, yes, the good old days when we were tethered to a six-foot cord. And couldn't have a conversation in private, or let someone know we'd be late after we'd left the house, or find our partner after we'd gotten separated at a mall or theme park, or easily call an emergency number.

Old Today, 12:22 PM

5,090 posts, read 1,942,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I love this post.

There was a thread in Psychology recently about an article that states that no one can really actually multi-task, that you're actually interrupting one task and attending to another, and any human brain is only able to actually focus on one thing at a time.

BALDERDASH I say. I got so fussy seeing that, I couldn't even respond on the thread.

You and I, we understand. When I was in school, I got in a lot of trouble for drawing in class. The teachers were just so damn sure that I was not paying attention to them. In fact, I was absorbing every word, IF they let me be engaged in drawing. I believe this is related to learning styles...I've heard something about visual, auditory, and kinetic learners. I am not an auditory learner. If I was to sit there staring at the teacher, my brain would start to shut down and I'd fall asleep. Check right out. I couldn't do it. But let me occupy my hands and eyes with some kind of busy work (knitting would have worked, too) and it keeps the mind firing on all cylinders, able to take in and remember the lecture just fine! As proven by my perfect test scores.

It drives me crazy how other people want to tell me they know better how my brain works than I do, and for every supposedly scientific article saying this, I can find one that says THAT, so we can all cite sources 'till the cows come home. Ugh.

For those saying that talking on the phone while driving is "distracted" driving, OK how about music? Do you drive in complete silence? How about holding a conversation with a passenger? Do you demand everyone ride in your car in complete silence? I sure don't. And frankly if my brain is not stimulated...and sometimes driving is very boring...then I do find it wandering, or getting drowsy. Sometimes re-engaging it via a phone conversation is just the thing to keep me alert.
In Waldorf education, a teacher can be presenting a math lesson, and the students will be drawing. It is a way to engage both sides of the brain simultaneously. I don't see that as "multi-tasking," though.

Old Today, 12:50 PM

13,715 posts, read 6,516,267 times
We were almost ran over from a guy who wanted to turn left(to us)with a cell phone in his hand. Luckily my husband was on the passenger’s side and shouted out at him, swearing at him. You think they know better. White American male in his 40s.

Old Today, 01:03 PM

530 posts, read 143,481 times
Mine never call when driving.

Old Today, 01:08 PM

11,698 posts, read 8,527,938 times
We have an appointed time to talk with one daughter. It started when she was away at school.

The other, we text to find a good time to call. She has kids, works and takes care of her in laws. Does their meals, sees that they eat, etc.

Son calls from the car when he is on the highway or from the airport. You can plug a phone into the radio on a car these days . No need to hold it and it cuts down on the noise. Siri calls dad, so need need to even punch in a number.

My daughter got me a headset for the phone. So i am free to move around the house, pour another glass of wine or go pee. Flushing is a problem due to noise on my end.

No troubles here. Glad to hear from them anytime they call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or