U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 07:13 PM

3,118 posts, read 841,900 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I both prefer text - often to say good morning and good night or if something interesting happens thru out the day. She's of the no-call generation while I've always detested speaking on the phone. Along with the texting, we'll trade in-the-minute photos back and forth. Don't hear her voice but see her face. Or what she's eating!

DD's still in college and often at home. But if separated by distance in the future, a short call to say goodnight or something might be nice. As much as I love her, I don't want to strain to make conversation or have her do the same. It's nice to be connected but I don't need to be entertained.

In my world, phones are for (1) catching up with someone you haven't spoken to in some time, (2) helping someone work through some issue, or (3) precise conveyance of information. If someone is just lonely, I'll try but it can be agonizing if there's nothing really to say. Unlike some here, I'm not good at multi-tasking.

Last edited by EveryLady; 08-11-2019 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 07:47 PM

38,704 posts, read 15,165,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I think for many adult kids, especially sons, talking to the parents is just another obligation they need to cross off their to-do list. So multi tasking while driving is the perfect solution. Hubby and I both hate talking on the phone so the kids are very welcome to stick to texting.
Same here.

One of our kids only calls when while driving. Our conversations are punctuated with swearing, brakes screeching, the occasional horn honking.

I fear that one day I will be on the line during a wreck.

Wish they'd all stick to texting.

Old Yesterday, 04:20 AM

2,491 posts, read 3,702,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josmyth View Post
....... They obviously want to talk to you or they wouldn't call at all.
No, they are just trying to avoid the guilt of not calling. If they truly wanted to talk at you they would do so from an environment which removed distractions.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM

6,353 posts, read 2,952,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Same here.

One of our kids only calls when while driving. Our conversations are punctuated with swearing, brakes screeching, the occasional horn honking.

I fear that one day I will be on the line during a wreck.

Wish they'd all stick to texting.
Pardon, you mean you wish they would text and drive ?

My friends have hands free phones for their cars, and sorry to say, none of them are swearing. ANd IF they are Tootin , its usually from the baked beans

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

225 posts, read 137,042 times
Well, it looks like this hit a chord. Multitaskers vs. The easily distracted and seeking a little respect & those concerned about distracted driving.

Update: My daughter thinks she has found a regular day/time to call, while not driving.

For me calls originally intended to be, “We will be there in 30 minutes.” Has evolved into, “Tell me about what’s going on in your life”. Not a convo for the car, imo.

While being put on speaker is distracting for the person on the other end, generally. The noise and signal going in and out of talking to someone on mobile speaker while driving is NOT the same as doing dishes or other things around the house unless there is a bunch of background noise going on like the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
And please don’t put me on speakerphone. I like to know who is listening to me.
My nephew once called me from the car, on speaker. He started talking about my mom (abt. 80 y/o at the time). Halfway through the convo he says not only was my mom in the car but also my sister and a niece were also listening in. Fortunately, my mom was the worst person for talking behind family member’s backs but it was embarrassing and rude/thoughtless on my nephew’s part, imo.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

225 posts, read 137,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
My daughter and I both prefer text - often to say good morning and good night or if something interesting happens thru out the day. She's of the no-call generation while I've always detested speaking on the phone. Along with the texting, we'll trade in-the-minute photos back and forth. Don't hear her voice but see her face. Or what she's eating!

DD's still in college and often at home. But if separated by distance in the future, a short call to say goodnight or something might be nice. As much as I love her, I don't want to strain to make conversation or have her do the same. It's nice to be connected but I don't need to be entertained.

In my world, phones are for (1) catching up with someone you haven't spoken to in some time, (2) helping someone work through some issue, or (3) precise conveyance of information. If someone is just lonely, I'll try but it can be agonizing if there's nothing really to say. Unlike some here, I'm not good at multi-tasking.
Texting surely has it’s place. It is good for the kinds of things you mention but I don’t feel the connection I do with a voice call. FaceTime is best but we live in the sticks with satellite Internet and high speed Internet isn’t a priority for our government as rural electrification & telephones was a century ago.

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

4,055 posts, read 3,267,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
See post #35.
Not even close. People in the car are way more distraction than a phone call. Distraction to the point of being dangerous. I will do everything I can do to not drive with people in my car. Driving while talking on a Bluetooth is nothing compared to people yacking in the car, reading their phones, reacting to texts...nope, not for me.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

61 posts, read 21,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
What really bugs me are the "special" people who use the phone while driving.

I guess those laws were not meant for them.
Some of us are capable of talking and driving without a problem, and it's not illegal where I live.

If someone can't talk + drive, they probably should drive at all.

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

26,670 posts, read 42,577,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
Does your kid only call you when they are driving somewhere because they are so “busy”?

Does it irritate you? (I have ADD and the noise is very distracting.)

Does it matter to your kid that it bothers you? (It apparently doesn’t bother mine.)

Is it so hard to take a half hour out of their week to talk?
(We live across the country from each other.)

</rant>
Sorry but I remember how busy it was when you work full time, have a home that needs maintaining and kids that have a lot of activities and schoolwork. Time is precious. Fortunately my father remembered that too so he took calls when I could fit them in without question or comment. I made it a point to visit him at least every two weeks with the family. There were weeks where I would call the day before to confirm it. Those calls were usually from one of my kids games. If I called during the week, he would yell at me saying to go do something more important like spend time with my kids or get some much needed relaxation.

One of the great things about my father was his ability to remember how things really were in his own past. He did not see the past with the same rose color glasses and faded memories that most people do. He remembered that the “wonderful” ethnic neighborhood my mother grew up in was really a slum with apartments that had no heat or hot water, multiple families sharing one bathroom and tired old houses needing lots of repairs. He remembered how hard it was to save money or make ends meet back in the 50’s when food and clothing ate up a high percentage of your income or the high inflation of the 60’s and 70’s. He remembered how hard women worked back then before there were ready made foods, wash and wear clothing or easy cleaning products or equipment. Always said that things are better today then they were in the past.

In his later years when we had cell phones and Bluetooth, he marveled at us having this ability and welcomed the chance to talk with whoever was there. Most times it was the entire family and he loved it. Be grateful for the time you have to talk to your family, no matter where they are. I hope to have the same attitude when my kids grow up Jay

Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM

32,150 posts, read 20,267,149 times
My husband and I pretty much only call OUR parents when we are in the car. It's a thing between my mom, sister and myself, we call each other when we are stuck in traffic or bored. It's pretty common.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or