Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 2,659 times

Advertisements

If your child has children, it is likely the only time they can talk uninterrupted (speaking from experience here). I swear the minute I get on the phone, the children appear from no where and want/need me right then. It's beyond annoying as I would love to talk uninterrupted. So, I do tend to call my mom or sis when I am in the car alone so I can have an actual conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 05:18 PM

6 posts, read 2,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It comes down to priorities. Didn't almost all of us juggle a career, raise a child and have a social life in our younger days without making calls while driving? These things you mentioned aren't new, not one bit new.
Uhhh because cell phones did not exist back then

Old 08-09-2019, 05:23 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEyedSusan1976 View Post
Uhhh because cell phones did not exist back then
Yes, exactly. People talked to each on the phone, while at home and not driving around. It wasn't all that hard. People made the time to do so and many were able to have actual conversations. You'd probably be shocked at the things some people were able to do without cell phones.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:33 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes, exactly. People talked to each on the phone, while at home and not driving around. It wasn't all that hard. People made the time to do so and many were able to have actual conversations. You'd probably be shocked at the things some people were able to do without cell phones.
And, believe it or not, people had face-to-face conversations. That’s right, even required eye contact and appropriate tone. Imagine that.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:53 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,965,859 times
Is it possible that is the time they can have privacy? At work, unless they have their own office, someone is always listening. At home, unless they live alone or have a time when they are there alone, someone is always listening (or wanting their attention).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
You and I, we understand. When I was in school, I got in a lot of trouble for drawing in class. The teachers were just so damn sure that I was not paying attention to them. In fact, I was absorbing every word, IF they let me be engaged in drawing. I believe this is related to learning styles...I've heard something about visual, auditory, and kinetic learners. I am not an auditory learner. If I was to sit there staring at the teacher, my brain would start to shut down and I'd fall asleep. Check right out. I couldn't do it. But let me occupy my hands and eyes with some kind of busy work (knitting would have worked, too) and it keeps the mind firing on all cylinders, able to take in and remember the lecture just fine! As proven by my perfect test scores.
I do this, too. I need to be doing something with my hands... something mindless, which actually helps me focus my brain (because it gets it on something else just enough to not want to have wandering thoughts). I was into adult coloring before it was "trendy" because I'd do it in college-- most profs quickly figured out that I could still pay attention, I think. If I wasn't coloring, doodling, etc. I'd be picking at my nails or something, so I chose something a little more productive and less offensive to other people.

If I'm just talking on the phone and not doing something else, I tend to pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
And please don’t put me on speakerphone. I like to know who is listening to me.
That's why phone etiquette dictates that you immediately tell someone they're on speakerphone and who else is in the room. "Hey Bob, thanks for calling. I'm putting you on speaker and Sheila and Sarah are here too."

Quote:
And, believe it or not, people had face-to-face conversations. That’s right, even required eye contact and appropriate tone. Imagine that.
I'm sure that was great when they were in the same place. Doesn't help much when you live hours or continents apart, does it? Or when you have 15 minute to talk but not two hours to visit.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:54 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,433,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEyedSusan1976 View Post
If your child has children, it is likely the only time they can talk uninterrupted (speaking from experience here). I swear the minute I get on the phone, the children appear from no where and want/need me right then. It's beyond annoying as I would love to talk uninterrupted. So, I do tend to call my mom or sis when I am in the car alone so I can have an actual conversation.
You let your children control when you can talk on the phone?

That is truly bizarre to me.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:11 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
The rose-colored nostalgia glasses again. "Before there were cell phones, people sat down all the time and had long, uninterrupted heart-to-hearts gazing into each other's eyes." Yeah, sometimes, especially if it was their boyfriend/girlfriend. Otherwise, maybe not so much. I didn't have a cell phone until I was 45 and my first child was in high school. I never liked just sitting still and talking, either in person or on the phone; always had to be doing something. Modern technology didn't make me this way. In fact, I still use my phone much less than anyone else i know, including people much older than me.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:25 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,232,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
you don't have to really pay attention to the music playing on your radio or even to a person talking to you in the car.

With a cell phone conversation, you do. And then those that text while driving -
So what is the difference between talking to someone on the phone or talking to someone (or several someones) that are sitting in your car?

Old 08-09-2019, 07:51 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
So what is the difference between talking to someone on the phone or talking to someone (or several someones) that are sitting in your car?
See post #35.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:04 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,422 times
OMG...…...I thought my kid was the only one to do that. I'm always glad she calls but lately it's always when she is in the car with her husband. Sometimes I would like to talk with just her. Even when she is at home she has to put it on speakerphone so she can do something else, and again anyone can listen in. And she doesn't even have kids yet. Expecting first one in November. We are 6 hours away so it's not as though we can visit once a month. I am hoping to set up a Google video call time after the baby comes, but I'm not holding my breath.

As far as calling her, it seems as though every time I try she either doesn't answer or has somewhere else she has to be or some kind of phone meeting she has to attend. I leave a message but I don't hear back for several days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement