U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:28 AM

223 posts, read 134,315 times

Advertisements

Does your kid only call you when they are driving somewhere because they are so “busy”?

Does it irritate you? (I have ADD and the noise is very distracting.)

Does it matter to your kid that it bothers you? (It apparently doesn’t bother mine.)

Is it so hard to take a half hour out of their week to talk?
(We live across the country from each other.)

</rant>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:44 AM

963 posts, read 214,964 times
Talking to you for 30 minutes is below their list of priorities which include Instagram, SnapChat, the Kardashians, and The Bachelor.

Old Today, 08:02 AM

113 posts, read 44,168 times
Do you initiate calls with your kid when you think they might not be driving such as outside of normal commuting hours?

Old Today, 08:03 AM

13,698 posts, read 6,516,267 times
Mine call when they’re walking. I’m ok with that. But my husband and I set up our alarm to call them every two weeks. We also have group chat. One complained that we didn’t call enough, so that’s why we set up our alarm to call often. The other one, I see more often, like every 3-4 weeks. They come back to use our pool.

Old Today, 08:05 AM

90 posts, read 73,257 times
I’m on the other side of that. Not yet retired with elderly folks. Travel for work. Calling while driving allows me to talk to them with no interruptions. I wear earphones while talking to help with background noise. It’s the best I can do for now. And at this point, it’s not really conversation but listening to a rehashing of every story or complaint that I’ve already heard ad nauseum.

Old Today, 08:06 AM

3,682 posts, read 724,125 times
That happened to me with a "friend." The only time I heard from her was when she was stuck in traffic somewhere and needed to pass the time. She interrupted the conversation abruptly, even if I were in the middle of a sentence, to announce, "well....got to hang up now....I'm pulling into the driveway."

She might have just as well said, "I've got no more use for you now." After a few of her "car calls," I told her it was dangerous to speak when she's driving on the highway, but that I'd call her in half-hour when she got home. She said, no.....that she'd be busy. And she never called again after that,

Old Today, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
Do you initiate calls with your kid when you think they might not be driving such as outside of normal commuting hours?
I always text first to arrange a good time to call. Yesterday, she did the same but was in the car when she called 2 hours after her text arranging to talk.

She says she is always so busy the only time she has to talk is when she is in the car. Yesterday, on her way to her massage on her day off.

Old Today, 08:15 AM

13,698 posts, read 6,516,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That happened to me with a "friend." The only time I heard from her was when she was stuck in traffic somewhere and needed to pass the time. She interrupted the conversation abruptly, even if I were in the middle of a sentence, to announce, "well....got to hang up now....I'm pulling into the driveway."

She might have just as well said, "I've got no more use for you now." After a few of her "car calls," I told her it was dangerous to speak when she's driving on the highway, but that I'd call her in half-hour when she got home. She said, no.....that she'd be busy. And she never called again after that,
I had a friend like that, always called me on Sunday, why, it’s free then. Not only that she had the gall to ask me how many times my husband and I had sex every week, it turned out her husband and her were not engaged in that area, they were in their early 40s. I’ve lost her number since.

Old Today, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Talking to you for 30 minutes is below their list of priorities which include Instagram, SnapChat, the Kardashians, and The Bachelor.
My daughter’s version of “chopper talk”.

Old Today, 08:19 AM

370 posts, read 232,515 times
My son lives 1000 miles away and he often calls while in the car. I understand it completely and it doesn't bother me in the least. I look forward to hearing from him no matter the circumstances. I often call people when I'm on the road. I consider it an efficient use of time.

Last edited by Preston3124; Today at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or