U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 12:26 PM

1,807 posts, read 636,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Apparently I was born with what scientists call the “god gene” ...

Actually that theory was propounded by one scientist (a geneticist named Dean Hamer) who published a book on the subject in 2004. He had previously published a book theorizing that homosexuality is also a result of genetic predisposition.

Critics of Hamer's book point out that much of it was "lifted" (to be polite) from an earlier book by Mathew Alper in order to support his own rather shaky conclusions.

Full disclosure: I used to work for a major genetics research laboratory, most of whose scientists do not give a lot of credence to Hamer's publications. I was in their publishing division and so have a lot of experience in how scientific publications are supposed to be written. Both of Hamer's books fail that test pretty miserably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 12:42 PM

6,407 posts, read 4,820,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Apparently I was born with what scientists call the “god gene” ...
Here is my take on the god gene:

We are born with a desire to join into groups. It was a basic part of our survival and similar to the pack instinct in dogs. Groups are held together based on common beliefs/culture and early on religion played a big part.

As intelligent beings we want to understand where we came from, but even more important we do not want to die. We are born with the desire to live forever and religion promises that.

Many of us are born followers and if not we still have those tendencies. Again, I think this is part of the pack behavior where following is necessary and independent actions and thoughts can be disruptive.

Our instincts are so strong that group behavior and group think can lead us a long way from sensible behavior. It can lead a whole nation to kill or accept the murder of millions of the Jews or other real or imagined enemies.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:31 PM

6,558 posts, read 3,410,424 times
RE: The God gene — I wrote that a bit tongue-in-cheek.

I remember reading decades ago that certain researchers had found a genetic link with people who had strong early inclinations toward sensing there was a higher power or a God. That fit my experience especially coming from an atheist family with no religious background at all. So I was intrigued by it, but never heard any follow up research on it, so I’m not that invested in it if it’s been proven false, just seemed to fit for me.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:38 PM

55,901 posts, read 74,931,537 times
More moderate now up to a point I think thumbing your nose at the theology that got you here ( comfortable retirement) is a big mistake
Looking back
I think religion puts a big emphasis on marriage and family much to the disservice of its young men-
45 million divorced financially ruined men out there that learned it the hard way

Old 08-11-2019, 05:40 PM

714 posts, read 607,907 times
I’ve never been religious, but as I get older I do find that I respect it more, am more curious about it, and envy the kind of peace people find in it. I am also much more apt to be interested in the basic human truths encapsulated in religion, a bit of a Joseph Campbell approach.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:32 PM

1,300 posts, read 268,032 times
The older I got the more I read about my religion the less I believed in its doctrine and teachings (Catholic).
I left organized religion, which was established by men, and have my own faith and beliefs which I keep to myself.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:33 PM

1,807 posts, read 636,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
More moderate now up to a point I think thumbing your nose at the theology that got you here ( comfortable retirement) is a big mistake

I'm puzzled as to how theology would impact someone's retirement-finances decisions...?

Old 08-11-2019, 07:15 PM

3,239 posts, read 103,703 times
As a peace-loving atheist I am comfortable in my retirement. I am content in my belief that after I’m gone I will live on thru the values and the love that I have passed on to my (now adult) kids.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:37 PM

1,573 posts, read 790,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I'm puzzled as to how theology would impact someone's retirement-finances decisions...?
Me too.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:42 PM

6,407 posts, read 4,820,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Looking back
I think religion puts a big emphasis on marriage and family much to the disservice of its young men-
45 million divorced financially ruined men out there that learned it the hard way
I have no idea what theology had to do with my retirement.

A great many religions support polygamy, communal living and other sorts of male-female interactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or