U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 11:33 PM

5,511 posts, read 2,814,475 times

Advertisements

My feeling was always that the people who had religion were the ones who needed it the most. I just can't help thinking how ridiculous it is that out the 4000+ religions in the world, every one of them thinks they're the one and true religion. And everyone in "their" religion thinks it's the one and only true religion. What a coincidence they happened to have been born into that religion!

I haven't been anywhere near being religious since I was about 10 and I don't find myself drifting towards it today. What I'm really thinking is that living is the test and dying is the illusion. Whatever you expect to have happen when you die is what you'll get. If nothing else, it lets everyone tell everyone else, "I told you so."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 06:27 AM

10,486 posts, read 4,981,974 times
The older I get, the less I believe in God which is weird because I believe in Jesus. I see him as a wonderful, loving, forgiving man and God as a vengeful diety.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 08-12-2019 at 06:35 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 06:42 AM

6,407 posts, read 4,820,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The older I get, the less I believe in God which is weird because I believe in Jesus. I see him as a wonderful, loving, forgiving man and God as a vengeful diety.
Religion has little to do with belief in "God". It is more about joining a group and adopting shared and often complex set of rites, rituals and beliefs.

Jesus is only one of many gods and even the current major religions often have confusing views. In the myths and lore he is often either a god or the son of the main god who remains a shadowy figure in the background.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:41 AM

1,807 posts, read 636,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I just can't help thinking how ridiculous it is that out the 4000+ religions in the world, every one of them thinks they're the one and true religion. And everyone in "their" religion thinks it's the one and only true religion.

That's exactly what came into my mind at about age 11 when I first became interested in the history of other times and cultures. It's simple logic: It's impossible for every different theology to be (or have been) the "true" one, therefore at least one of them must be "wrong." And if even one can be "wrong", then that opens the possibility that they all can be wrong -- a probability, actually, given the lack of any factual evidence for any of them. It just makes far more sense to me that gods and religion as a whole have always been a convenient invention, refined and perpetuated by generational indoctrination and supported by cultural and political institutions (and often for their own ends.)

In the fifty-plus years since then, I've seen nothing that would convince me to change that evaluation. If anything, I've become even more cynical (for example, the various scandals within the Catholic Church.)

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 08-12-2019 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 10:17 AM

9,079 posts, read 5,224,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Does your sense of mortality push you to be more religious? Do you believe more now that you are older?

I can honestly say I have stayed the same my entire life.

No, I do not believe "religion" is anything but man made and holds no answers. Aging (and growing nearer to my eventual death) does not change this.

ETA: When I was young, I believed the things I was taught. As an adult, I examined those things and realized they simply did not hold up. I have been an agnostic atheist for decades now.

Last edited by Petunia 100; 08-12-2019 at 10:29 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Exactly.

I don't understand the analogy, either.

She's saying she must speak up because we are going to hell. It's her duty to warn us.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
I am just a little religious. I find that the older I get, the more I respect one's choice to be religious or not be religious. Although I considered myself agnostic for years, I have always despised militant atheists and other cult type religious sects. These extremists have learned to accept people's rights of freedom. If you are an atheist, why would you give a crap if someone chooses to believe in God? That makes me think that these atheists aren't really atheists as they believe that there is a "God" out there to not believe in. Confused people. Live and let live if it doesn't infringe on your life negatively.
We mostly don't "give a crap" what others choose to believe, but object to those beliefs being legislated and forced on to everyone. For some strange reason, some people consider that "extreme".

Old 08-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I grew up in a very religious family, but as early as I can remember I was not a believer, and I'm still not a believer. I'm not Atheist, that requires a belief that there is no god, I'm not religious, that requires a belief that there is a god. I see no concrete evidence either way. I'm solidly agnostic.
No, it doesn't. While some atheists believe there is no god, plenty have no such belief.

Agnostic is based on knowledge. "I don't know if there is a god".

Atheist is based on belief. "I lack belief in a god".

Lots of people are BOTH agnostic and atheist.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:06 AM

8,059 posts, read 5,122,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
...I just can't help thinking how ridiculous it is that out the 4000+ religions in the world, every one of them thinks they're the one and true religion. ...
Most people in most contexts are inclined to regard themselves as being correct, while the opposing opinions are somewhere between incomplete and outright fallacious. This holds in politics, investing, driving-style, whether to use active or passive voice when writing, and of course, religion.

But the modern "ecumenical" view (or was that syncretic?) is that religion of whatever stripe equips one to externalize experience and to grasp at something transcendent and absolute. Lacking such grasp, goes the thinking, one is liable to feeling lost, rootless, unguided. It is, in this view, better to be misguided than unguided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Religion has little to do with belief in "God". It is more about joining a group and adopting shared and often complex set of rites, rituals and beliefs.
That's a large part of religion, but if it were the only part, then fraternities, HOAs or political parties would be religions too. And maybe some are. But what makes a religion "religious" is belief in something beyond measurement, calculation, observation or human conceptualization. Our task, I think, is to ask ourselves whether such a "something" has compelling case to even exist in the first place, let alone to ponder what specifically it might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
...While some atheists believe there is no god, plenty have no such belief.
There is, to my knowledge, no atheist catechism. Perhaps for reasons of tax-exemption, there should be. An "atheist church" (mosque? ashram?), beyond the whimsy of the concept, has much practical benefit.

But I think that the unifying essence of atheism is a wariness of basing practical decisions, such as what to do in the bedroom, how to interact with neighbors or strangers, how to live and what to expect from life,... on appeal to some mysterious higher-intelligence, of which we have purported evidence (say, a book) but no direct personal experience. Atheism is a rejection of the leap from theory to practice...the antithesis of "taking a leap of faith".

Old 08-12-2019, 12:32 PM

24,433 posts, read 8,545,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyinOhio View Post
As a peace-loving atheist I am comfortable in my retirement. I am content in my belief that after Iím gone I will live on thru the values and the love that I have passed on to my (now adult) kids.
Ah, I knew there was something that drew me to playing trivia games with you. We think a lot alike. j
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or