U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 03:23 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,963,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Does your sense of mortality push you to be more religious? Do you believe more now that you are older?

I can honestly say I have stayed the same my entire life.
Actually way less because of the GOP and their duplicitous ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 03:47 PM

1,547 posts, read 987,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I grew up in a very religious family, but as early as I can remember I was not a believer, and I'm still not a believer. I'm not Atheist, that requires a belief that there is no god, I'm not religious, that requires a belief that there is a god. I see no concrete evidence either way. I'm solidly agnostic.
That is literally not true.

An atheist lacks belief in a god or gods.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:50 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,828,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Actually way less because of the GOP and their duplicitous ways.
The association between the Republican party and strong evangelistic Christians always seems to be a poor match. Instead I would expect the more right wing conservatives to be for individual freedoms not religious conformity.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:32 PM

18,738 posts, read 23,437,985 times
I think I am more spiritual but less religious.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think I am more spiritual but less religious.
I am not sure what that means, but if you can contact spirits perhaps you can help. I have a dead relative who should be able to help me retrieve something that was lost.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:34 PM

18,738 posts, read 23,437,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am not sure what that means, but if you can contact spirits perhaps you can help. I have a dead relative who should be able to help me retrieve something that was lost.

Spiritual. Not Spiritualist.

If you want a medium, call the Lily Dale Assembly in upstate NY. They talk to those who have passed on there. https://lilydaleassembly.org/

Old 08-12-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Spiritual. Not Spiritualist.
So you sing gospel music?

Old 08-13-2019, 01:57 AM

16,498 posts, read 5,410,644 times
I've never been religious, and the more I learn about the nature of the universe, the less I am inclined to believe in mythical concepts such as gods, devils, angels, heaven and hell. But I do think it is astounding that life on earth even exists considering the long odds our planet had to overcome to evolve from a spinning molton rock into what it has become. As far as we know, there's nothing else like us in the universe. So I can understand why people believe that there must have been a creator.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:22 AM

3,016 posts, read 1,633,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I've never been religious, and the more I learn about the nature of the universe, the less I am inclined to believe in mythical concepts such as gods, devils, angels, heaven and hell. But I do think it is astounding that life on earth even exists considering the long odds our planet had to overcome to evolve from a spinning molton rock into what it has become. As far as we know, there's nothing else like us in the universe. So I can understand why people believe that there must have been a creator.
There are definitely mysteries to ponder about that, about our purpose and about suffering, injustice & death. But when I was involved with religious communities they weren't too open to pondering or questioning mysteries, in the end they insisted on adherence to their explanation & beliefs only. Doubt was explicitly the enemy.

That's when I began to appreciate that for me "religious faith" was more about being a part of a tribe that became the main part of one's identity rather than a true consideration of life's mysteries. If that works for them I really can't fault them, but I'm unable to just get in line.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:55 PM

6,541 posts, read 3,648,835 times
Less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or