Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 07:47 PM

413 posts, read 701,528 times

Advertisements

Less. I was raised Catholic, but had many disagreements with their dogma. And too much one issue preaching - anti-abortion propaganda. I tend to agnosticism or perhaps Humanism. In the years shortly before I retired my level of stress and anxiety led me to seek out a congregation for the social support and companionship. I found a very compatible Unitarian group in my neighborhood where I felt very happy and supported. I tried out the Unitarian church in Wilmington after I retired and moved to NC, but found it much too large and impersonal and too long a drive away. Since my stress level went way down at retirement I haven't felt the need to seek further to find a comfortable community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:15 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
........ Since my stress level went way down at retirement I haven't felt the need to seek further to find a comfortable community.
We all have social needs. There are plenty of other opportunities and I hope you have found some that don't involve religion, cults, or any other sort of group think and conformity. I am not much of a joiner, but I do belong to several groups involving hobbies including photography and other arts. They can be a lot of fun and have helped me make several new friends.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:29 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I knew someone who believed there were "spirits" in everything, each tree, rock, lake, etc. We had a conversation about this but I left at a total loss. I could sort of understand that a rock could be said to have a spirit. Then I wondered if the spirit was still there is the rock broke in half. Were there then two spirits? Does each grain of sand have a spirit? And the parts of that grain also? And big things like the billions and billions of galaxies with billions of stars also have spirits, I suppose. When you are out in nature which ones of those "spirits" does one feel "connected" to? Beats me.

I love being in nature. I love interacting with the world and all of it's special places. Somehow I never felt I was dealing with spirits. The physical world is spectacular enough. I am a photographer and love taking pictures of flowers and also the big scenic areas of our national parks. I never imagined some non-physical being within any of those things or places.

Mostly when I'm out in Nature I am just enjoying Her ever changing beauty in each season. How things come out of Her dark womb, break through the soil, grow, and die back. Its like a Wheel ever turning. For me its the spirit of Nature that flows throughout. But thats just me. Agree the physical world is spectacular enough so enjoy that Spirits or no spirits.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:53 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
I am not sure what that means, but if you can contact spirits perhaps you can help. I have a dead relative who should be able to help me retrieve something that was lost.
Im also psychic, and i contacted your dead relative.

I already collected the lost item of which you speak, and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

Thank you very much.

Galaxy...

Old 08-16-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Im also psychic, and i contacted your dead relative.

I already collected the lost item of which you speak, and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

Thank you very much.

Galaxy...

Good for you. So you have hemorrhoids and it helped? Watch out, if you are not careful it might get stuck.

Last edited by jrkliny; 08-16-2019 at 09:03 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 09:09 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
I knew someone who believed there were "spirits" in everything, each tree, rock, lake, etc. We had a conversation about this but I left at a total loss. I could sort of understand that a rock could be said to have a spirit. Then I wondered if the spirit was still there is the rock broke in half. Were there then two spirits? Does each grain of sand have a spirit? And the parts of that grain also? And big things like the billions and billions of galaxies with billions of stars also have spirits, I suppose. When you are out in nature which ones of those "spirits" does one feel "connected" to? Beats me.

I love being in nature. I love interacting with the world and all of it's special places. Somehow I never felt I was dealing with spirits. The physical world is spectacular enough. I am a photographer and love taking pictures of flowers and also the big scenic areas of our national parks. I never imagined some non-physical being within any of those things or places.

I totally get what you're saying. :-) Although when I was a child (and, ironically, still brainwashed by the religion thing) my default setting was to ascribe feelings/senses to everything: trees, plants, animals, rocks, toys, whatever. Maybe that is what most kids do at some point but eventually grow out of? Anyway I suppose that if someone held a gun to my head nowadays and told me that I had to subscribe to a religious dogma or else they'd pull the trigger, it would probably be either the Native American belief that all parts of nature have a spirit, or choose one of the many Greek deities. At least they had a big smorgasbord from which to select your favorite(s)!

Even at my age I find myself apologizing to one of my plants, bulbs or shrubs for an errant cut or misplaced shovel or trowel: "Sorry! My bad!" Or addressing a fussy perennial with "For crying out loud, just what is your problem, anyway? Yeeesh!" It just comes out automatically, LOL. But that might just be the normal Crazy Plant Lady characteristic.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:58 AM

Speaking of all things having a "spirit", that is true in nature.

No two mighty oak trees are alike. Each has its own growth pattern, each reaches to the sky and gives shade differently.

Anong flowers, no two kinds are the same. For instance the peach hibiscus on my front porch only blooms for one full day, just 24 hours before that bloom is spent. Other flowers will bloom for a whole season.

A hydrangea's color can be manipulated by whether the fertilizer and soil is base or acid, so it to has a "spirit".

All living things has a spirit all its own. The big problem is we dont take time to appreciate nature and the 'spiritual being' of nature.

And the Bible does say " lift a rock...."

Old 08-17-2019, 02:54 AM

**all living things are creations and deserve our respect.

That includes flowers, trees, grasses, water, and even rocks have their beauteous side.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
**all living things are creations and deserve our respect.

That includes flowers, trees, grasses, water, and even rocks have their beauteous side.

???? This is the definition of respect I got with a google search:

"1. a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
2. due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others."

Clearly #2. does not pertain to inanimate objects.

I guess #1 could apply but not based on abilities or achievements. So we are left with "deep admiration" for something's qualities.

When I look up admiration I get synonyms of respect, approval and pleasurable contemplation. So I guess the best fit of these definitions is that we should enjoy contemplating the "qualities" of inanimate objects. Still confusing. I was still not sure what that meant to I looked up contemplate which means think about something long and hard.

So we should think long and hard about all inanimate objects in the world. I am not sure what I am supposed to think about when I look at flowers, trees, grasses, water and rocks. I gave it some serious thinking effort and fell asleep.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:46 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I don't think I can get 'less' since I realized I was an atheist in my teens.
But I have gotten more sure of it as the years have rolled by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement