U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 08:43 AM

3,036 posts, read 1,645,115 times

Advertisements

What's interesting here is that the active CD members of the Retirement forum are obviously not at all representative of the general over-55 population of the U.S., who are among the foremost primary pew fillers in America. What one takes away from this sample probably should influence how one generally views the imparted wisdom dispensed in the forum threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 09:43 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,614,126 times
I have hears 1/3 of Americans go to a church each weekend. Of coarse that includes all religions.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:05 AM

6,447 posts, read 4,853,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I have hears 1/3 of Americans go to a church each weekend. Of coarse that includes all religions.
The highest at about 50% is for Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas. I wonder if there is a connection with the fact that these States are at the bottom for education.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:14 AM

3,480 posts, read 3,233,781 times
Never was and still am not.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:14 AM

1,852 posts, read 659,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
What's interesting here is that the active CD members of the Retirement forum are obviously not at all representative of the general over-55 population of the U.S., who are among the foremost primary pew fillers in America.

I'm not all that surprised, though. The members of this forum also tend to be wealthier than the general retired population. The responses to my recent poll question about retirement income were really eye-opening in that regard! So, the active members of this particular forum are probably not representative of the "average" retiree in respect to religion either.

One might speculate that the two characteristics (higher-income/financial security level/whatever, and less connection to religion and/or belief) might be related, but that would take way more statistical support than what's here, LOL.

One might also wonder if it's geographically correlated too. Are most of the non-religious CD Retirement members in (or originally from) coastal states and/or more urban areas of the country? Again, too complex a theory to do more than casually wonder about.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:35 PM

16,531 posts, read 5,423,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
What one takes away from this sample probably should influence how one generally views the imparted wisdom dispensed in the forum threads.
Are you implying that the C-D posts of religious seniors should be taken more or less seriously than those of nonbelievers? I guess you could interpret this sentence either way depending on what camp you are in.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 08-17-2019 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-17-2019, 04:24 PM

6,600 posts, read 3,665,735 times
Less over the years but I can probably blame Catholic school for that, and my own parents who weren't terribly religious themselves.

I raised my children in religion but it was purely for show and what I was "expected" to do. My younger daughter considers herself "spiritual" and doesn't believe in organized religion. My older daughter still considers herself Christian. Ironic fact with her is that she is a married lesbian which most religions are against.

I would put myself in the same Spiritual category as my younger daughter.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 PM

6,447 posts, read 4,853,476 times
Please someone explain what "spiritual" means. I still do not have a clue. It seems to be a synonym for religious.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:03 PM

16,531 posts, read 5,423,900 times
I think it means to be able to experience the non-physical aspects of life such as morality, spirit, the existence of a higher power or other phenomena that we cannot explain through science or logic..

Old 08-17-2019, 10:36 PM

12,507 posts, read 12,695,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I knew someone who believed there were "spirits" in everything, each tree, rock, lake, etc. We had a conversation about this but I left at a total loss. I could sort of understand that a rock could be said to have a spirit. Then I wondered if the spirit was still there is the rock broke in half. Were there then two spirits? Does each grain of sand have a spirit? And the parts of that grain also? And big things like the billions and billions of galaxies with billions of stars also have spirits, I suppose. When you are out in nature which ones of those "spirits" does one feel "connected" to? Beats me.

I love being in nature. I love interacting with the world and all of it's special places. Somehow I never felt I was dealing with spirits. The physical world is spectacular enough. I am a photographer and love taking pictures of flowers and also the big scenic areas of our national parks. I never imagined some non-physical being within any of those things or places.
Animism is still a popular religion, and one of humanity's oldest. I would be hard put to think of a religion that does not have animist roots. For instance, Christianity thinks there is a "soul" inhabiting the body. And yes, when a woman has a kid, that's a brand new spirit, not part of the old one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or