U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 10:45 PM

12,507 posts, read 12,695,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Does your sense of mortality push you to be more religious? Do you believe more now that you are older?

I can honestly say I have stayed the same my entire life.
I have never met a god and don't know anything about them, but I have studied human anatomy and physiology. Human consciousness requires a functioning human brain. There is no life after death. No religion is going to change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 02:48 AM

193 posts, read 191,594 times
I used to consider God, but then at 22 I saw my first Draco, so no, there is no white guy with a beard sitting on a golden throne on the clouds.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:50 AM

193 posts, read 191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I have never met a god and don't know anything about them, but I have studied human anatomy and physiology. Human consciousness requires a functioning human brain. There is no life after death. No religion is going to change that.
You state that as a fact, and it is not. You have no idea.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:20 AM

2,569 posts, read 1,136,084 times
I consider religion to be a man-made thing. I also say I am spiritual but not religious. I believe there may be a higher power (I certainly hope so). But I am not interested in joining a religion.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:06 PM

12,507 posts, read 12,695,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
You state that as a fact, and it is not. You have no idea.
Pretty sure.

When ancient religions were made up they had no idea that the brain was the seat of consciousness. The words for soul and spirit both meant the breath. Air was invisible and powerful, so that is what they latched onto. A baby that never took its first breath had no soul, and the death rattle was the spooky sound of the soul leaving the body.

Modern believers have been dancing around the facts for years. The brain is where your memories are stored, where your personality resides, and where you do your thinking. When you die it doesn't float off into the air, it rots. When the old squash rots, that is the end of the line. That has been experimentally verified billions of times.

I understand that it's tremendously attractive to think that being dead will be mostly like being alive, but it won't.

Old Today, 06:20 PM

62 posts, read 9,643 times
I was raised catholic. A distinct minority in my semi rural community. I was told to leave a friends home when his mother asked where I went to church and I told her. There were several incidents like that. Walked away from the Catholic church as a young teenager. We were pushed into church every morning in grade school as the bus arrived. Again on sunday to the point we were sick of it by the time we left in 6th grade. The really old nuns back in those days telling us non catholics went to purgatory and I could get them out if I prayed for them The sermons became more and more about tithing and how there was not enough being donated. By the time your 13 you start seeing things for yourself.

I was looking for something though. I tried the southern baptist church a friend went to but it was equally extreme, all fire, damnation, fornication, ( I had to look that last word up when I got home) and sometimes anti catholic, anti jewish rants would come out.

The only one that actually worried me was a tent revival. I had been to one other that was very nice , a positive sermon, total immersion baptisms in the creek type of thing. A positive vibe that I liked for the most part except for my neighbor elbowing me to go up and get saved. That's not something you do to make someone else happy.

I'm not sure what branch of the baptist church it was but the 2nd one had speaking in tongues, people shaking, falling down, the laying of hands and people acting like a lighting bolt hit them. I remember the sweaty guy doing this in a fancy suit with a lot of gold rings. He made a real impression. A couple of his staff though looked like goons. They collected a lot of money and suggested those who don't have cash can donate jewelry. There was a tone and feel to it I did not like as all these people were just giving them selves over to this one man. I felt if he had pointed out a woman and cried witch, burn her, some in the crowd would have done it.

I walked away from all attempts to embrace religion when I was 17 other than to date a ministers daughter once.

I used to pass a cathedral on my walk in from the train. Beautiful old gothic style building built before the turn of the century in the 1800's. They had a sign out for a 7:30 mass every day. After years of walking by I just went in. A lot came rushing back. Only a handful of bent , stooped over, white haired people were there. I found I still remembered a lot, when to kneel, when to cross my self and even some of the more unique prayers. I was not hit by a lightening bolt so I guess I'm forgiven.

I doubt at this stage I will join a church.

I like what he says and agree especially with the last 35 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvJFoOEOYpE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or