Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:06 AM

5,237 posts, read 3,580,396 times

Advertisements

I used to be a committed evangelical Christian & was brought up as a traditional observant Catholic. Now I'm agnostic bordering on atheist, time has shown the corruption & hypocrisy of both the institutions &, unfortunately, the followers who become more self-identified with their churches, mosques, etc... than with the original principles of the faith. This is my own opinion of course & not an article of faith that I would want others to blindly accept without sincerely questioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:09 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,622,630 times
Less.

I grew up attending a private Mennonite school along with Church, Sunday school, bible school, then instruction in the Catholic Church and baptized; I was quite the believer.

For the past 40-50 years though I would be called an atheist because I believe in nothing supernatural.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:11 AM

1,303 posts, read 847,043 times
I would have to say yes, sort of. I was never religious and was once pretty much an atheist/agnostic. Since my granddaughter (who lives with me) started listening to Christian Rock (not sure that is the correct term) on the car radio a few years back, I've sort of gotten more familiar with Christianity in its more positive form...at least in my opinion. After years of listening to rap lyrics, I much prefer this! Not sure if any of this means I've become more religious, but I appreciate that Christianity can be a source of strength and support in life.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,785,960 times
Zero for decades; unchanged. I am less afraid to say it in conversation now.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:36 AM

13,589 posts, read 9,622,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
While the intent of the thread is probably meaningful (?), "being religious" has been so widely and ambiguously used, that it means nothing. ... I think people seriously need to ask themselves what they mean when they think of themselves as "religious." ...
It’s an amorphous topic, but for discussion’s sake, let’s say that “religiosity†means affinity for the idea, that the material universe – the universe of atoms and forces and chemistry and so forth – is NOT the totality of all that there is. Does one have affinity for such an idea? Then, regardless of one’s practices, inclination to worship, formal religious activity, acceptance of doctrine,… one is “religiousâ€.

By this measure, I am actually growing less religious. I am becoming more and more of a “radical materialistâ€. I find the notion of there being transcendent, ineffable essences or sources of meaning, to be more and more suspect... less and less "real".

Old 08-09-2019, 10:37 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,448,292 times
Mine has changed drastically.

But not due to "facing my mortality ", but because I ALREADY faced my mortality head on and looked into the eyes of death, death did not ultimately triumph in my case.

For those who dont know my story, i was clinically dead fir 7 mins 40secs, and had the 4th shock to my heart not worked, and had I not died AT work, I would not be here at all. I had anaphylactic shock resulting in my heart failure due to a sulfa antibiotic given to me by my dr for walking pneumonia.

My experience ( which only 3 people know) is one that changed my look at Organized Religion.
I have also vowed that I will not go around divulging my experience, because I dont want to enhance, alter or shatter someone else's beliefs.
That is not to say I don't have faith, but Organized Religion has it ....shall we say....'not correct '???
It is not the first time Organized religion has been challenged and I as a loner wont attack it with the vengeance of say Martin Luther, but now I can't stand organized religion.

After all the Bible says Gid said " lift a rock and I am there. Pick up a piece of wood and i am there "...and " wherever 2 or more of you are gathered in my name "...basically signifying that God is everywhere, NOT just in a church or synagog or other "made for religion "

And you need not be religious to have some faith.

DO stop me now, for I shall not want to rail against organized religion. At least NOT to hard.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:38 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,807,579 times
More or less the same mostly. I don't feel I need to sit in a building every week and have a guy yell at me about being a sinner.

I see God in the mountains, lakes, trees I'm surrounded by, and we have regular conversations.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:43 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,002,625 times
Middaged here - much less religious. Had a tough time explaining to myself how any God would allow these mass murders from occurring (Sandy Hook, Orlando, etc). Just senseless. Stopped attending church activities the week of Pulse massacre, Orlando. I follow the Golden Rule - treat others as they'd like to be treated, courteous, do for others - but can't submerge myself in religion as some family members do.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:51 AM

3,259 posts, read 4,973,906 times
I've never been religious, but I belong to a synagogue and I support it and other Jewish causes. I go to services once or twice a month, not because of the religious aspect of it, but because of the community aspect of it. In addition, I like the ritual aspect, because it reminds me of my late father and my other now-deceased relatives.

I don't believe in God, but I do believe in the Jewish people and in Jewish ideals about living a good life and helping others.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:00 AM

11,030 posts, read 9,661,925 times
I've been an atheist since age 14. Still one, and always will be. Others can believe and I don't mind, until they try to impose their beliefs upon those who don't share them. I don't care if they believe in angels or aliens, just don't expect others to live by their rules, or expect that their religion exempts them from their responsibilities to society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement