U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 11:01 AM

14,534 posts, read 8,009,467 times

Advertisements

I was raised in a house absent of religious ideology. I went through a religious phase in my younger years and that passed. I'm an atheist now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 11:03 AM

1,834 posts, read 1,150,815 times
Baptist born and raised. 35 years of being way to involved with Satan. Catholic now, wish there were a more traditional catholic church near me. Too much sin and temptation in this old world.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:04 AM

4,018 posts, read 2,935,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I've been an atheist since age 14. Still one, and always will be. Others can believe and I don't mind, until they try to impose their beliefs upon those who don't share them. I don't care if they believe in angels or aliens, just don't expect others to live by their rules, or expect that their religion exempts them from their responsibilities to society.
One reason i have been less reluctant to talk about my disbelief is that it does seem to be more accepted and less people try to push theirs on others. When people press, it's hard to defend atheism without ridiculing belief.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:13 AM

6,821 posts, read 3,775,202 times
I've reached the point where religion and faith are two different things. I'm fairly traditional in my religion and belong to the protestant church (denomination) I grew up in and figures prominently in my family going back 4-5 generations. I consider some of their dogma positions as chock-full of human errors and intolerance...so I ignore them. I attend church about once a month (a 45 minute drive). Faith is something you believe and live. Like someone who is a carrier for hepatitis or chickenpox, I try to be a carrier for my faith. Other people do a better job of it but I try.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:16 AM

24,432 posts, read 8,545,787 times
To be moral and good to others and yourself doesn't need religion in the mix. LESS.....

I've run into more hypocrites in my life and starting with the catholic church.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:27 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,470,013 times
Never was religious. Now becoming more outspokenly nonreligious every day.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:27 AM

23,992 posts, read 17,860,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
One reason i have been less reluctant to talk about my disbelief is that it does seem to be more accepted and less people try to push theirs on others. When people press, it's hard to defend atheism without ridiculing belief.
I always couch things with, "I don't know."

I suspect there was some sort of "creator force" that spun it up and left the universe to its own devices beyond that. I have a hard time believing in the whole "we are so bad by default that we must go to hell unless we accept a savior" thing. Some Buddhist and Hindu concepts resonate.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:27 PM

6,952 posts, read 2,498,121 times
I think, I'm less religious as in I don't go to church anymore, let alone go 2 times on Sunday, and also Wednesday night.

But I'm still a believer, and I would say I'm more spiritual, and more sure of my faith than I used to be. Maybe it just comes with age. I don't know.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:41 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,935,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I always couch things with, "I don't know."

I suspect there was some sort of "creator force" that spun it up and left the universe to its own devices beyond that. I have a hard time believing in the whole "we are so bad by default that we must go to hell unless we accept a savior" thing. Some Buddhist and Hindu concepts resonate.
Sometimes people you are talking to think they do know and see that as an opening.

I subscribe to the eternal universe theory. It's an offshoot of quantum theory. The matter that makes up the universe has always been here and always will be. There was not a point where something came from nothing. That doesn't necessarily negate big bang - but what blew up and where did it come from? Why do we feel like there has to have been a beginning?

Old 08-09-2019, 12:45 PM

23,992 posts, read 17,860,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Sometimes people you are talking to think they do know and see that as an opening.

I subscribe to the eternal universe theory. It's an offshoot of quantum theory. The matter that makes up the universe has always been here and always will be. There was not a point where something came from nothing. That doesn't necessarily negate big bang - but what blew up and where did it come from? Why do we feel like there has to have been a beginning?
Other than what I was little and being raised in the church, I think I've mellowed out a lot on religion over the years.

In high school and college, I was pretty much a militant atheist. Unless someone really presses the religion issue (and I know a few people who do), I rarely bring it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or