U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:38 PM

1,807 posts, read 636,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When younger, I claimed I was Agnostic. Was a polite reply. Now that I am older, I have no problem saying I am an Atheist but I do not say so unless pushed.

Same here. It always made me slightly uncomfortable that I was not being truthful about what I really thought, but I rationalized it by telling myself that it was to "not rock the boat in family or friend relationships."

If I could go back and do it over again I'd be honest about it and say Atheist though.

Last year I deliberately revealed my atheism to two friends that I've known for more than 25 years. Both are Catholic. I was just tired of them assuming by default that I'm a Christian/believer and wanted them to know otherwise, and let the chips fall where they may.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:42 PM

7,024 posts, read 1,495,219 times
I have been an agnostic for about the past 40 years after being an atheist for about five years before that. Being older now hasn't changed that in the slightest.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:43 PM

6,534 posts, read 3,510,127 times
Same as I have been my entire life (59 years), an agnostic.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:59 PM

4,556 posts, read 2,923,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
To be moral and good to others and yourself doesn't need religion in the mix. LESS.....

I've run into more hypocrites in my life and starting with the catholic church.
I've had someone tried to recruit me in college. He told me there will be 2 others like me joining us. That day, it was just me. Dunno if the other 2 were no-show, or simply didn't exist. I suspect the latter, as it seems he said that just to try to make it seem less uncomfortable since it would've been a group setting, instead of just one-on-one. When I told him I wasn't interested, he brings up that question of how would I know right from wrong without the bible? I've been doing pretty well thus far. Parents raised me right, I know a few of the laws around our areas, and I've had plenty of case studies of ethics, as well as dealing with a few of them on my own. In hindsight, I guess I could've been snarky and said that prior to meeting him, I was running people over while driving, kicking puppies, and mocking elderly people

These days, Star Wars or a series of demotivational posters would work better. I've gotten far better life lessons out of those than actual religions.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:17 PM

7,376 posts, read 15,450,802 times
I wasn't religious then and I am not religious now, although I am MUCH more likely to say, if asked, that I am an atheist rather than "agnostic" or "not much of a believer" or whatever semi-polite phrase I would have used then. Also much more vocal about keeping religion out of public schools and politics as a result of various experiences on school boards.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM

4,708 posts, read 4,790,269 times
I'm the same as always. I've always believed in a teleological universe that was/is designed. By who, or how, don't have a clue. I can't prove this belief, just like no one can disprove it.

When I was young I was immersed in this question...I read all the arguments by Hume & Kant & countless other theologians & philosophers...these days not so much. I'm comfortable with what I think, and no other opinions threaten or disturb me.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:43 PM

13,390 posts, read 25,706,316 times
Always atheist and no change.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:02 PM

6,992 posts, read 3,947,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
While the intent of the thread is probably meaningful (?), "being religious" has been so widely and ambiguously used, that it means nothing. One can wear a green-feathered hat while baying at the moon - and declare it "religious." Likewise, spending time in a 'bakery' (church) does not make one a jelly roll.

I am a born-again believer in Jesus Christ who lives in a personal daily relationship with God. Yes, I attend church and study, teach and preach the Bible and pray - while seeking a deeper relationship with God. However, these days, when someone asks, "Are you religious?" or "Do you attend church?" - I can't help, but, wonder what they are really asking and what significance they attach to it. (I rarely think of myself as "religious").

-- I don't mean to offend anyone here or sound legalistic, but, I think people seriously need to ask themselves what they mean when they think of themselves as "religious." Do we, for example, truly imagine that Almighty God is only seeking "religious people?" .... and if so, what do we think that means?

There is no "We believe". Each person believes what they believe and it varies even among those who attend the same church and pray the same prayers.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:05 PM

17 posts, read 4,965 times
Have been religious for most of my adult life and still am today. No change for me.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:16 PM

17,849 posts, read 4,190,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Does your sense of mortality push you to be more religious? Do you believe more now that you are older?

I can honestly say I have stayed the same my entire life.
I have always been a very religious church of Christ member since i was a a kid but I have become more devout with age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or