U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 09:46 PM

758 posts, read 378,566 times

Advertisements

I was a nerdy atheist through college, and as a young scientist I had plenty of company. Then marriage and children happened. One day I realized the majesty of the whole is far greater than the sum of the twiddly bits. Life and consciousness are far more than chemical reactions and a patch quilt of neurons. There is a Creator and it’s obvious to anyone paying attention.

As my final days come into view I’m at peace knowing that my fate is to return to the same timeless domain from which my life emerged.

Mark Twain wrote a piece that said it better:

There is in life only one moment and in eternity only one. It is so brief that it is represented by the fleeting of a luminous mote through the thin ray of sunlight--and it is visible but a fraction of a second. The moments that preceded it have been lived, are forgotten and are without value; the moments that have not been lived have no existence and will have no value except in the moment that each shall be lived. While you are asleep you are dead; and whether you stay dead an hour or a billion years the time to you is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 PM

4,065 posts, read 2,595,175 times
Your on the retirement forum, you don't have long to go.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:36 PM

1,173 posts, read 663,257 times
Was confused growing up, a non-believer for a few years, a nothing for a while (didn't think about it) then found my faith and figured out what I believe. I wouldn't call myself religious because that denotes ritual and tradition, but for a long time my faith has been a big part of my life and it grows and is more comforting as I get older.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:58 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,975,717 times
Same as always at age 60-not at all.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:06 AM

16,474 posts, read 8,985,209 times
Christian since childhood. Age has only confirmed those beliefs.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:26 AM

13,870 posts, read 18,930,049 times
I have stayed in church and stayed in the word aka the bible and read it everyday and pray every day several times a day . so since childhood God has seen me through some mess I will tell you that and for that I am grateful .

Old 08-10-2019, 09:08 AM

5,724 posts, read 4,929,205 times
I love and depend on the Lord God more in my life than ever in my 69 years , 62 of which I had invited Jesus Christ into my life. I saw through the lives of other the consequences of leaving God out and or waiting till the last minuet in a moment of desperation finally coming to God and these had so much regret for the foolishness they wasted their life before making this decision. I made it an issue to "desperately" seek God for direction early and the infilling of the Holy Spirit Jesus provides.
There was no new testament in the beginning .the early believers were completely dependent on the Holy Spirit "Jesus design."
Men mean well but the Holy Spirit teaches much better and the guidance of God is far superior over that of the best of learned men. The good news (Gospel) is God is come to teach man , not man teaching man, God .
Men mean well, but it's not Gods design. and man's well meaning is a distraction and often a serious distraction .
I have understood this since I was a teen , and God is faithful and merciful . But he is also just and prefers those the actually love Him and obey Him on a personal level. Matthew 7; 21,22,23, The law of the Lord is that of a personal relationship .

Old 08-10-2019, 09:41 AM

1,573 posts, read 790,076 times
Am 57 and went from agnostic when I was very young to 100% atheist in my 20's. And just to clarify, I don't have a problem with religious people unless they try to force their beliefs on everyone else via laws and/or mistreat those who don't share their beliefs.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:54 AM

2,997 posts, read 1,627,758 times
I previously wrote here that I'm agnostic/atheist but thinking about this a bit more I have to say that one thing I feel could be lacking in comparison to the traditional religious believers who come together regularly to worship is the sense of believing in something bigger than the individual. Perhaps that could be defined as having a purpose that doesn't directly profit us but gives us meaning & having a likeminded group/community that shares & supports this.

Obviously this is "religious" with all the supernatural elements excised, it could be any number of social, charitable or environmental causes that give a larger meaning to us in community.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:58 AM

18,650 posts, read 20,508,993 times
Not very religious considering was brought up very catholic. I have a moral compass. I believe in god and I can truthfully say I don’t need some jumping preacher screaming about Jesus and where I need my moral compass when most of these “men of god” are charlatans.
They usually get caught with their hand in the donation jar or up the secretary’s skirt or in bed with a live boy or dead girl. These pious men love telling everyone how to live their lives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or