U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 10:48 AM

5,724 posts, read 4,929,205 times

Advertisements

It is a stormy night and you are the first one to stop just before going over a blown out bridge so you back track a few hundred yards and ponder what to do .
What do you actually do .
Drive off and let any one else find out the hard way .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 11:12 AM

1,573 posts, read 790,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
It is a stormy night and you are the first one to stop just before going over a blown out bridge so you back track a few hundred yards and ponder what to do .
What do you actually do .
Drive off and let any one else find out the hard way .

Huh? Any normal person would call the authorities and stay there until they show up, to warn off anyone else.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:26 AM

5,109 posts, read 3,274,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Does your sense of mortality push you to be more religious? Do you believe more now that you are older?

I can honestly say I have stayed the same my entire life.
When I was young, the family joined the Mormon church. Well, after 7-8 years, I started questioning it. After 18 I basically rejected it as I had dealt with a lot of hypocrisy and saw nothing was different in a lot of churches. I'll admit I was a hellion for 30+ years....

Till 2006 I found a church (That still was wrong) but met a pastor of another church we'd visit that had a very different approach and that got me to explore more for the true church and find the "Narrow Door" that is truly hard to find, but it's also a challenge as it destroys long held beliefs...

Old 08-10-2019, 11:38 AM

265 posts, read 91,114 times
I am just a little religious. I find that the older I get, the more I respect one's choice to be religious or not be religious. Although I considered myself agnostic for years, I have always despised militant atheists and other cult type religious sects. These extremists have learned to accept people's rights of freedom. If you are an atheist, why would you give a crap if someone chooses to believe in God? That makes me think that these atheists aren't really atheists as they believe that there is a "God" out there to not believe in. Confused people. Live and let live if it doesn't infringe on your life negatively.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:41 AM

7,200 posts, read 11,277,797 times
I grew up doing 12 years of Catholic schooling. My parents were active members of the church and my school community. They were practicing Catholics and heavily invested members in the Knights of Columbus till each of their deaths.

After I finished school and started working, I was tied up most Sunday mornings, so going to Church was no longer on my radar. I also married a non-practicing Protestant so she had little interest in going to the RC Church either.

She did take the kids to church when they were younger and through their Holy Communion, but then it slacked off. The kids saw church as a tradition versus a beneficial effort. It didn't help that I wasn't there either.

So in my immediate family, we all have our idea of the supreme being, but we don't feel that going to church proves our "religiousness". I try to live my life by the Golden Rule. Most of the time it works, but I am certainly not perfect. So, I keep trying and keep respecting the man upstairs!

Old 08-10-2019, 11:57 AM

39,743 posts, read 48,104,938 times
Are you more or less Religious now that you are older?

Less. I grew up with a family with various family religions, mother, father, aunts, uncles, cousins, etal. Which one do you believe. Since none hasn't been proven to be true/accurate I'm claiming to be an agnostic, prove it first, hand me down lore opinions changes all the time.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:15 PM

5,328 posts, read 8,414,140 times
I became an atheist at age 12, and have only become firmer in that conviction as I've gotten older.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:52 PM

6,407 posts, read 4,820,541 times
I have been an atheist for the vast majority of my adult life. I do find my attitudes toward religion changing.

I guess some atheists are ardent nationalists, but atheists don't get together in groups to wage war on those with different or no religious views. They do not try to enact laws that impose their religious views on others. They have not had Holy War, Inquisitions, witch hunts, or bombed abortion centers, or tried to set up religious communities and countries.

I have reach the point where I do not trust and do not want to be around those with strong religious beliefs. I would rather be around people who at least attempt to lead a rational life instead of adopting beliefs, and acting on "faith" and following group think. Religious group think seems to be able to lead to all sorts of extreme behavior.

I have also passed the point where I try to distinguish "good" religious ideas from "bad" ones. The Christian Evangelist, the Zionist, and the Muslim terrorists are all the same with one no better than the other.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:10 PM

6,404 posts, read 3,644,361 times
I was raised cradle-to-grave Lutheran and through a number of life experiences began a cautious and tentative search for something "more."

I haven't become more religious but my life has opened up to the spiritual need that is in all humans and the resources available everywhere to fulfil them. I've never been able to worship in an institutionalized setting with human words and human precepts.

It's a work in progress. My Bible is the World and my God is the Universe. (Actually not too far-flung from my religious upbringing, I think.) I like to think I practice the original religion before people started messing it up. LOL

Old 08-10-2019, 01:24 PM

5,877 posts, read 8,657,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I grew up doing 12 years of Catholic schooling. My parents were active members of the church and my school community. They were practicing Catholics and heavily invested members in the Knights of Columbus till each of their deaths.

After I finished school and started working, I was tied up most Sunday mornings, so going to Church was no longer on my radar. I also married a non-practicing Protestant so she had little interest in going to the RC Church either.

She did take the kids to church when they were younger and through their Holy Communion, but then it slacked off. The kids saw church as a tradition versus a beneficial effort. It didn't help that I wasn't there either.

So in my immediate family, we all have our idea of the supreme being, but we don't feel that going to church proves our "religiousness". I try to live my life by the Golden Rule. Most of the time it works, but I am certainly not perfect. So, I keep trying and keep respecting the man upstairs!
Like you, I had more or less 12 years of Catholic schooling growing up (with about 2 years of public school in the middle). My mother was a devout practicing Catholic, and my father a Protestant convert who practiced Catholicism with the family.

I fell away from religion around the time I was in college. I went back in my early 30s and fell away again for a time by my late 30s. But about 9 years ago I went back again, and I have stuck with it. I was going through a very difficult time and I found it brought me comfort and hope of better times ahead. I think as we get older, the things from our childhood do bring some comfort.

I know there are a lot of problems with the church. I am not a fan of this pope. I don't buy into everything they teach or say. But it is nice to have a community of people with similar values in an increasingly hostile society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or