Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 08:57 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,464 times

Advertisements

Does your sense of mortality push you to be more religious? Do you believe more now that you are older?

I can honestly say I have stayed the same my entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 09:00 AM

705 posts, read 562,006 times
I've always been religious, I'd say it has remained the same for me.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:05 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
I keep moving towards the militant atheist side.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:15 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Less.

I grew up in a religious home and had some notion of it until at least middle school. I'm pretty agnostic now. I believe in some sort of creator/intelligent design, but I don't subscribe to any particular dogma beyond that.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:20 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
If you mean be good, no change.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
While the intent of the thread is probably meaningful (?), "being religious" has been so widely and ambiguously used, that it means nothing. One can wear a green-feathered hat while baying at the moon - and declare it "religious." Likewise, spending time in a 'bakery' (church) does not make one a jelly roll.

I am a born-again believer in Jesus Christ who lives in a personal daily relationship with God. Yes, I attend church and study, teach and preach the Bible and pray - while seeking a deeper relationship with God. However, these days, when someone asks, "Are you religious?" or "Do you attend church?" - I can't help, but, wonder what they are really asking and what significance they attach to it. (I rarely think of myself as "religious").

-- I don't mean to offend anyone here or sound legalistic, but, I think people seriously need to ask themselves what they mean when they think of themselves as "religious." Do we, for example, truly imagine that Almighty God is only seeking "religious people?" .... and if so, what do we think that means?

Old 08-09-2019, 09:46 AM

36 posts, read 16,995 times
I am probably More Spiritual, less religious.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:50 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Have never been religious. You live your life with dignity and appreciation for our existence in this world in the present moment. Life is transient and ever changing and we follow the rhythms of nature. Life, death and non existence.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:54 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
I was brought up Catholic but have been an atheist since age 11 or 12 or so.

The only change in my retirement years is that I became more open about it, i.e. no longer try to keep it under wraps as I did when younger. But it depends on the circumstances. For example, when I was in my thirties I attended the christenings of my BIL/SIL's children but I no longer do that, even if it's a family member. I will go to a secular-site wedding that is officiated by a clergyperson, because I consider a wedding to be a legal ceremony that happens to sometimes have a religous component; but I would definitely not attend a nuptial Mass and am not sure whether I would attend a wedding that's held in a church because the focus in that venue is religous rather than legal.

I don't force my opinions on anyone and never did, but as I have aged I have acquired the courage to choose my own actions according to my convictions rather than to social expectations.

I'm not militant in the sense of trying to change anyone's mind about religion but I no longer am "in the closet" about what my position is on the subject.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:03 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
I was raised Catholic and still attend mass.

But do i believe in all those rituals and other things they do - nope. I enjoy the community and fellowship.

I almost have to roll my eyes when a "friend" just goes on about how you can't do this or that until you have received a certain sacrement - you will burn in hell etc. Seriously? What about all the issues we have with the church now? Do you think they are worried about that stuff?

I know it is strange that i feel this way and haven't turned my back completely on them, but it guess i have been institutionalized?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement