U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

307 posts, read 155,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
Or did they have no say in the career path you took?
No and no.
Lesson for the day: do not be born into a family of apes and wetbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

1,780 posts, read 625,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We were expected to work full-time when we were out of high school, and everyone just figured the girls would eventually get married and stay home and take care of their kids.
Exactly.

My parents would never have pushed me toward either nursing or teaching anyhow, because they knew I hated doctors (I saw enough of those during my childhood to last me three lifetimes!) and didn't like being around babies or young children. So those were no-go by default, LOL

In high school I briefly thought I'd like to be a stewardess but then learned that you had to have 20/50 vision or better without glasses. Mine was already almost 20/200 without glasses and my allergic eyes couldn't tolerate contacts so that possible career path was instantly blocked.

When I was 19 I really did want to be part of the space program and went through all of the recruiting steps for the Air Force (which is what you had to do in those days, NASA was not "privatized" yet) but got cold feet when it came to the point of actually signing the paperwork. My dad was okay with me doing it but of course he'd been in the service and as long as his little girl would never have to go into a combat zone he was fine. (He was also very proud of the fact that I outscored the 49 other people -- all male -- on the mechanical aptitude portion of the Airman's Qualifying Exam, LOL.) I could tell my mother did not like the idea of me going off to who knows where but to her credit she never actively discouraged it. But when I decided not to do it she was so relieved that she broke down and literally cried tears of relief for about 15 minutes straight!

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

10,490 posts, read 9,457,935 times
No and No.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

3,729 posts, read 1,905,222 times
My mother told me all I'd ever be was a wife and mother. She was born in 1931 and me in 1955. I guess that was what I was supposed to do.

I did both. But I also had a career, retired with 30+ years of federal service, not one blemish on my record. Decent pension.

Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

56,675 posts, read 55,040,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
To be fair, you did not need a degree to be successful in the 40ís and 50ís. My dad landed a job with the state employment service after a succession of odd jobs. Then was personnel director for 33 years at a major employer.

Mom was a stay at home mom.
I had a fairly successful career without a degree. I went to secretarial school in the late 1970s. By 1985, I was in lower-level management.

Now you need a degree just to get a clerical job, if there still are any.

Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

1,780 posts, read 625,082 times
I'm trying to think of the name of that secretarial school chain/franchise during the 1960s here in the tri-state, and am drawing a blank.... I am pretty sure it was a woman's name (first and last) but I'll be darned if I can recall it.

I know that there was a modeling school chain called Barbizon but the secretarial school was something different.

Aaagh, frustrating! LOL

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

5,096 posts, read 1,946,112 times
I was not given much information from my parents about anything.

They both seemed to think that all girls should do is get married.

So I had to educate myself and make my own goals (after I got married as they instructed).

I am not sure why I took college prep courses in high school if there was no expectation I would go to college, but I did and their stance was confusing to me for awhile).

I got myself through college and graduate school and while in a perfect world they would have given me more guidance, I am good with being a free-range kid and feel I had an innate compass, so "it's all good."

Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,158,031 times
Not at all. I was told I could be a nurse, secretary, or teacher. They didn't give a hoot which I chose because a woman's career wasn't important back then. Oh, I could also be a "housewife" if I wanted.

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 20 days ago)

1,489 posts, read 477,540 times
Nope.

They did try to get me not to join the military as the Viet Nam war was on.

I defied that and volunteered.

They survived my decision and so did I

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

7,482 posts, read 8,743,819 times
Yes I was very much encouraged to pick a career in which I could earn a good living and education/university was always part of that picture. It was talked about a lot as I entered high school. There was never a time when I wasn't planning to go to college

In college I started with a major in accounting, with my parents hoping I'd follow in my father's footsteps since that was his major, but I discovered by my junior year I didn't want Accounting to be my career, so I switched my major to something different in the college of business. Within a couple years out of university I discovered my industry passion was emerging technologies. A decade later I went back to school for my MBA, which I did part-time at night while working full-time, and continued to work in technology from the biz side. It was an exciting time and I was in the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or