U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:03 PM

13,785 posts, read 23,873,376 times

Advertisements

Yes, my parents defined from as far back as I can remember what my potential future alternative paths could be. They didn't steer me into a specific career, but they certainly set up the few where I'd be expected to end up.

Overall it wasn't a good idea for them to do that, but I understand because they came up through the Depression and struggled a bit financially. When we had kids ourselves, we were careful not to do that to our kids, letting them choose their own path but encouraging them to find something where they could be financially independent. One ended up in the entertainment business management area and the other in financial analysis for commercial real estate.

Both like their career choices, and have done well because they picked their own paths, and were responsible for their own success or failures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:32 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,027,634 times
If I just had the confidence in myself and didn't listen to them, I would have been very successful and happy.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 PM

7,997 posts, read 4,900,703 times
Did your parents encourage/recommend a career path for you?

Oh, ho ho ho ha ha ha har de har har! That's a real knee-slapper!

Old Yesterday, 04:51 AM

4,918 posts, read 5,025,797 times
My parents sent us to a Catholic elementary school. The Nuns ruled it like a prison.

My father expected me to get straight As. Anything less was unacceptable.

Fortunately, I was able to meet that expectation. I developed grit. I ended up with two engineering degrees and a wonderful career.

I didn't know it then, but I guess my dad was really a Tiger Mom!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_parenting

Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM

1,022 posts, read 625,577 times
Both my parents grew up dirt poor during the Great Depression and my mother had to quit school to work in a factory to help support her family and my father worked on farms to support himself being pretty much on his own at age 13 following the death of his mother. My father eventually joined the Navy which became his career for the next 25 years, and my mother until she became disabled in her mid 30s continue to work in a factory.

Despite not having much education themselves my parents were very pro education and sent both my sister and I to parochial school because they believed it would give us a better educational foundation than public school would. After HS our parents plan for us was some type of higher education that would lead to a profession that both my sister and I would be able to more easily get decent paying employment and be fully self supporting if need be. My sister became a teacher, I became a nurse, and our parents became very happy as a result.

Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,675,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I'm trying to think of the name of that secretarial school chain/franchise during the 1960s here in the tri-state, and am drawing a blank.... I am pretty sure it was a woman's name (first and last) but I'll be darned if I can recall it.

I know that there was a modeling school chain called Barbizon but the secretarial school was something different.

Aaagh, frustrating! LOL
Katharine Gibbs?

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,091 posts, read 54,929,169 times
No, neither ever made any kind of suggestion, only encouragement to go to college. Still, of the 9 of us kids, I was the only one to get a degree until one sister went back and got one at age 40. If they had pushed me toward a particular career I would probably have ignored it anyway, especially since I was paying for college myself.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

4,918 posts, read 5,025,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Katharine Gibbs?
Kelly Girl?

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

2,393 posts, read 611,340 times
The concept of a career path was unknown to my mom.

Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

3,639 posts, read 1,598,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Neither of them could have cared less what I ended up doing, as long as I supported myself. There was no guidance in this or any other area of life. Could have used some.
Same here. Happy childhood with everything we needed, but no interest from them about where I was headed. My homemaker mom did not teach us cooking, sewing or even laundry, LOL.

Later on though, my dad did suggest we start our own printing co. and loaned us some start-up money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or