U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

13,378 posts, read 25,690,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
No encouragement/support at all, I was on my own at an early age; weaving my way toward adulthood.
Me also. They worried when I kept quitting factory and waitress jobs, that I couldn't hold a job. I admit the low point was the onion ring room at the frozen food factory (although it WAS union!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

4,735 posts, read 3,752,395 times
I'm 72. My dad was a professional jazz musician who studied music at local colleges but never got his degree. His only advice to me back in the late 50s-early 60s was: finish your college degree, and don't go into music - it'll break your heart.

My mom was a coal-miner's daughter with a high school degree. When I told her in high school I wanted to write the Great American Novel, she asked: so, how are you going to make a living while you're doing it? I resented it at the time, but she was right on the money with her advice.

I've never understood the kind of parents who try to dictate the direction of their kids' lives.

Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

528 posts, read 317,620 times
My folks were "When you're 18 you're outta the house!" They had little to no input, well, no input, into anything I eventually did.

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,271,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I'm trying to think of the name of that secretarial school chain/franchise during the 1960s here in the tri-state, and am drawing a blank.... I am pretty sure it was a woman's name (first and last) but I'll be darned if I can recall it.

I know that there was a modeling school chain called Barbizon but the secretarial school was something different.

Aaagh, frustrating! LOL
Are you thinking of Katharine Gibbs?

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,195,824 times
No. I don't think we ever discussed this matter in any way.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a policeman or drive a tank in the army.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
mlb

3,272 posts, read 2,895,109 times
What a difference between the parents of the 1940’s and 1950’s.....and the helicopter parents of late.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

6,398 posts, read 3,638,354 times
That was a long time ago. My mother started as a country school teacher at sixteen. She wanted to be an English teacher but wound up teaching sixth grade due to how long it took her to get all the education and the need to make money in the meantime.

So I was elected to fulfil her dream. I was good in English and, other than wanting to be an archaeologist which seemed unattainable, didn't have any particular desires. She picked my major and I picked my minor and she paid for the education.

I taught English for a year and then raised children. By then I was mature enough to know what I could do and returned to college for a Master's in public health issues.

I still want to be an archaeologist.

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,750,267 times
From what I can see and determine, even those who didn't have particular guidance or encouragement still managed to do fine for the most part in life. Some earlier, some later, but it appears every journey has resulted in people having had interesting times.

Hey, if you get to this point in life and you're still alive & kicking and you aren't worrying where your next meal will come from or worrying you won't be able to pay the mortgage or rent, you're doing OK.

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

2,989 posts, read 1,622,898 times
My father hardly ever spoke to me but when he did at length he always repeated the same monologue over & over about "getting a good education" & becoming "a doctor, lawyer or accountant". I heard the same mantra so many times growing up that it was imprinted on me like brainwashing or religious dogma, I could repeat it word for word now.

Well it partially worked, I couldn't find rest until I finally got a degree, but it was in a liberal arts area & I ended in a technical field. My younger brother actually became a lawyer but I don't know if he withstood as many intensive lectures as the firstborn did.

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 11,204,520 times
My folks wanted me to be a teacher like my aunts/uncles. I ended up working in government (HR, LR) but only taught as a minor function of the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or