U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 08:56 AM

11,143 posts, read 12,577,099 times

Advertisements

Did your parents encourage/recommend a career path for you?

Gosh no, when I became a police officer almost 50 years ago and moved away neither of them spoke to me for over a year. Wanted me to have a job where I could make money.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 09:26 AM

6,624 posts, read 8,118,891 times
My mom wanted me to be the best that I could be. Father assumed I would be a secretary. Needless to say I had to work my own way through college, but I did end up with 3 degrees.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 AM
mlb

3,275 posts, read 2,900,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
My parents didn’t. My dad died unexpectedly when I was 15, and I don’t recall my mom talking careers with me. I went to college a few years, and when I left I remember my granddaddy having a talk with me about jobs. He suggested I look for jobs with the city, state or county. Jobs with payed sick leave and vacation. Jobs with good health benefits and retirement. I always remember that discussion. Thank goodness I listened
It’s really interesting the influences that your immediate community environment has on career choices. I grew up in a small capitol city with a major state university. Pretty much everyone either was a state worker or had a connection to one. It was solid work and a no brainer employer for those who chose to live there.

Fast forward, and I find myself in another city with a state capitol and a state university. The pay was substandard but the retirement promise solid. After working in nursing academia for 9 years I left and was looking for work closer to home so that I didn’t have to commute as the area was exploding in growth.

This was a state that had a much different take on government than that I grew up with. Instead of being there for the public good, most people saw government as evil. I truly walked into a job in municipal government because they had trouble filling the position..as that was not where the money was - the private sector was so much more lucrative and they could not hold onto people at that low wage...as well as who wants to work for government?

Apparently, no one.

I had the last laugh on that retiring 18 years later with a solid pension.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 AM
JRR

3,754 posts, read 2,265,429 times
No talk of a career path from my parents. They were of the opinion that you became an adult and just got whatever job was available. Without even a high school education, that is what they had done all their lives. So when I dropped out of school in 10th grade, it wasn't that big of a deal to them; as long as I had some sort of job.

40 years later, my mother informed me that a guidance counselor had told her that I could be a doctor or lawyer or whatever I wanted to be, as I had the ability. Interesting that no one ever told that to me. But what the heck, life had it's bumps, but worked out OK in the end.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 AM

72,689 posts, read 72,534,115 times
my father being a pro drummer did everything he could to discourage me . he knew the life and the unpredictability of the income as it was feast or famine .

the more he discouraged me and wouldn't help me the more i pushed to do it on my own . i was very motivated to be a drummer , not for love of music but as a teenage boy , girls loved drummers .

Old 08-11-2019, 11:57 AM

6,804 posts, read 8,156,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my father being a pro drummer did everything he could to discourage me . he knew the life and the unpredictability of the income as it was feast or famine .

the more he discouraged me and wouldn't help me the more i pushed to do it on my own . i was very motivated to be a drummer , not for love of music but as a teenage boy , girls loved drummers .
Thatís a great one..LOL...Iíll have to share it with my dummer friend

Old 08-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Itís true ,, although drumming was in my blood it was never the love of drumming or the love of music that motivated me to succeed as a pro , it was the girls that went with it .

I got back in to drumming in retirement and now I can honestly say I am obsessed with it for what it is .... I have a famous coach who pushes and works me to the bone .... I am currently doing a 50th anniversary tour with a well known recording group and I just love playing..... no more girls though. Lol .... maybe if my wife gives me a note ?

Old 08-11-2019, 01:26 PM

6,804 posts, read 8,156,174 times
Quote:
Itís true ,, although drumming was in my blood it was never the love of drumming or the love of music that motivated me to succeed as a pro , it was the girls that went with it .

I got back in to drumming in retirement and now I can honestly say I am obsessed with it for what it is .... I have a famous coach who pushes and works me to the bone .... I am currently doing a 50th anniversary tour with a well known recording group and I just love playing..... no more girls though. Lol .... maybe if my wife gives me a note ?
Sounds like my friend. Heís started playing again in a little group ever since he retired, but now his hands are going on him at age 67. He ainít happy about it either.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Sounds like my friend. Heís started playing again in a little group ever since he retired, but now his hands are going on him at age 67. He ainít happy about it either.
My hands are now the best they have ever been but I do at least two hours a day of practice with 1-1/2 hours on hand and stick control on a pad .

It is amazing how much better I am at 66 then my twenties... but back then I never put so much time in or had such a demanding coach

Old 08-11-2019, 02:06 PM
mlb

3,275 posts, read 2,900,310 times
Quote:
It’s true ,, although drumming was in my blood it was never the love of drumming or the love of music that motivated me to succeed as a pro , it was the girls that went with it .

My brother learned percussion from my grandfather - a big band drummer. He’s now a keyboard player in a band at age 69.

I love percussion, particularly the drum lines at DCI. Madison Scouts used to practice in the park behind our house when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or