U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 02:36 PM

2,999 posts, read 1,628,871 times

Advertisements

One of the things I liked about the movie "Birdman" was that the entire "soundtrack" was simply a drummer on his kit. There were actually a couple of scenes where the main character walked by the drummer while he was supplying the soundtrack live.

Having said that, & having spent time as a drummer, I have to confess the long drum solo was always the low point of most concerts unless it was Buddy Rich on the throne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 03:20 PM

1,807 posts, read 638,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Did your parents encourage/recommend a career path for you?

Gosh no, when I became a police officer almost 50 years ago and moved away neither of them spoke to me for over a year. Wanted me to have a job where I could make money.
I suspect that objection depends a lot on where one lives. ;-) In my area, police are pretty well paid. Here the police force is a 'county' one and so their salaries are public record and accessible. Here are the published county payrolls for 2018 (have to copypaste because the newspaper is only free-access to subscribers and customers of Optimum/Altice): The police make up the largest sector of the County payroll by far (about $550 million.)

The number of people making $200,000 or more a year working for Suffolk County in 2018 rose by 23.5 percent. In both counties police make up the bulk of those earning $200,000 or more a year. This database was posted on March 29, 2019.

Some examples from the 2018 salary rolls from the PD (I rounded up or down to the nearest hundred thousand)

Division Chief (on force since 1981) $680K
Department Chief (on force since 1986) $625K
Detective (on force since 1989) $503K
Sergeant (on force since 1989) $479K
Police Officer (on force since 1989) $426K
Detective Sergeant (on force since 1986) $376K

The police officer current salaries range from a high of $426K for the 1989 hire, to a low of $32K for a 2016 hire.

The SCPD's web site says on the recruitment page:

Starting [base*] salary $42,000 annually, increasing incrementally to $111,506 after twelve (12) years of service. [* not including OT]
Night shift payments. All uniforms and equipment are supplied by the Department. Yearly uniform cleaning allotment. Paid family dental, optical and medical plans.
Thirteen (13) paid holidays. Fifteen (15) paid vacation days first year of service, increasing to twenty-seven (27) days after five (5) years of service Thirteen (13) sick days first year of service, increasing to twenty-six (26) days after the first three (3) years of service; Unused sick days are cumulative.
Three (3) paid personal days first year of service, increasing to five (5) days after three (3) years of service.
Pension plan. Members are eligible for retirement after twenty (20) years of service at 50% of five (5) year final average salary. Vested retirement plan after ten (10) years.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that the police are worth every dollar they get and then some. Just posting for comparison purposes to other parts of the country.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:42 PM

498 posts, read 111,775 times
No.
Growing up in the 60's with all the crap going on was a part of it I'm sure. That said, my dad was a musician, and a quiet nonconformist. His father worked for the fed dept of agriculture, and his parents were Southern Baptists. Must have been quite a shock to my grandparents with Dad's decision to attend Catholic University - not Michigan State as expected - and his choice of career path.
A few in our family were painters in upstate Michigan. When I came out of high school in 1970 with no plans college and a high draft lottery number, it was time to look for employment.
Thinking that painting may be a hereditary thing, I called a friend's dad - a union painter - to see if he was hiring.
No was his answer...but, he continued...I know a plumber that is.
Career move accomplished!

Old 08-11-2019, 03:53 PM

72,689 posts, read 72,534,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
My brother learned percussion from my grandfather - a big band drummer. Heís now a keyboard player in a band at age 69.

I love percussion, particularly the drum lines at DCI. Madison Scouts used to practice in the park behind our house when I was a kid.
I think my wife is about ready to beat me with my sticks I am so obsessed....she said if I donít stop playing my drums in my head when she is talking to me she is going to beat me ...at least I think thatís what she said

Old 08-11-2019, 05:20 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,726,979 times
No, none. Folks were very old fashioned. They assumed I was going to get a MRS. degree.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 638,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
No, none. Folks were very old fashioned. They assumed I was going to get a MRS. degree.
LOL, good one (and very true)!

My mom wasn't "overt" about it but it was pretty clear how she felt about my surfer and band-guitarist boyfriends versus the one who was in the officer track at VFMA and the other who was a business/eco major with an eye toward becoming a stockbroker, LOL. She was practically over the moon when I started dating a guy who was in law school and even more so when we got engaged.

She had no idea that it later became the marriage from hell though (Which is probably a good thing.) I might well have been happier with the surfer dude. Someone told me a while back that he ended up in the banking industry, something I'd never have expected him to choose as a career!

Old 08-11-2019, 07:08 PM

24,001 posts, read 17,869,119 times
At a very high level. I didn't listen. I've ended up fine and about where they would have originally wanted me to be.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:16 PM

3,730 posts, read 949,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
No. The only thing my parents insisted on was that I get a high school diploma "because otherwise it will be hard to get a job." We lived in the suburbs of NYC; my dad worked for NCR and my mom worked part time as a sales clerk once I was in school full time. My mom only had the equivalent of a fifth grade education in the little coal mining town she grew up in. I'm not sure what grade level my dad got to because he and his brothers were sent to a church-run boarding school that was essentially a kind of orphanage; my grandparents had split and my grandmother had to go to work as a live-in domestic in a nearby city so she boarded the kids out. The school my dad attended still exists and goes up to grade 12 but not sure what it was like in the 1940s or if he and my uncles actually graduated before leaving. They all joined the Army at age 18.

Anyway, it was pretty much understood that the only "careers" seriously considered for or by most girls back then were teacher, nurse, or something secretarial. Even the ones who wanted to be teachers or nurses were assumed to only do that until they found a husband and then stayed home to do the white picket fence Susie Homemaker thing.

Ugh, what idiots we were, LOL
Nurses, especially union nurses, make excellent money if you've got a strong stomach.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:28 PM

4,633 posts, read 1,780,519 times
Nobody on either side of the family had ever been to college, but it was made clear from my earliest childhood that I would. But there was no coercion where I would go or what to study. There I wasted their money for two years, and since then I lived by my wits alone.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:23 PM

5,511 posts, read 2,815,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
My brother learned percussion from my grandfather - a big band drummer. Heís now a keyboard player in a band at age 69.

I love percussion, particularly the drum lines at DCI. Madison Scouts used to practice in the park behind our house when I was a kid.
That's awesome! Whenever the Drum and Bugle Corp is having a competition nearby, I always try to go to it.

-----------------------------------

My parents didn't encourage a career, college, or even finishing high school. I was going to be a wife and stay-at-home-mother for the rest of my life. My mom didn't drive and my dad refused to teach me to drive as well (no driver's ed in school). There was no talk about finances, retirement, or anything else like that because "your husband will take care of all that."

I had just turned 17 when I left home for good. Looking back, my dad was a very controlling person and I can only imagine the rage he felt when I defied him by leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or