U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 1,811 times

Advertisements

Or did they have no say in the career path you took?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:42 PM

7,012 posts, read 3,910,812 times
My mom is a surgeon and my dad is a lawyer. My brother followed in dadís footsteps and got his law degree. I went with accounting. The only thing they pushed for was getting a good education.

Old Today, 02:49 PM

3,982 posts, read 3,289,895 times
No, my parents were from Montana ranching families and didn't understand the future their children were going to face. I left home at seventeen and went to work, served an apprenticeship, became a business owner, and retired from a large company with a generous union negotiated pension.

I know good and well that I couldn't duplicate that kind of good fortune without a degree today. Any but the lowest paying jobs now require a good solid education, one that actually preps you for a specific kind of employment, I guess I'm happy to be in that age group wherein those who wanted to work could be trained on the job, join a union, spend forty five or so years grinding it out, and retire..

Old Today, 02:59 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,672,961 times
When I was about nine years old, I told my parents I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up. Neither of my parents had been to college, and they were pleased with my career plans. In those days, teaching was a "good career for a woman."

Old Today, 03:05 PM

13,717 posts, read 6,516,267 times
No saying from my parents, but I did follow what my siblings, one of them major in accounting, I did until I changed major to engineering, I have a few engineers in my family.

Old Today, 03:23 PM

7,416 posts, read 3,071,628 times
NO! They encouraged abilities they felt I had, but what I chose to do with them was left up to me.

Old Today, 03:32 PM

1,780 posts, read 621,513 times
No. The only thing my parents insisted on was that I get a high school diploma "because otherwise it will be hard to get a job." We lived in the suburbs of NYC; my dad worked for NCR and my mom worked part time as a sales clerk once I was in school full time. My mom only had the equivalent of a fifth grade education in the little coal mining town she grew up in. I'm not sure what grade level my dad got to because he and his brothers were sent to a church-run boarding school that was essentially a kind of orphanage; my grandparents had split and my grandmother had to go to work as a live-in domestic in a nearby city so she boarded the kids out. The school my dad attended still exists and goes up to grade 12 but not sure what it was like in the 1940s or if he and my uncles actually graduated before leaving. They all joined the Army at age 18.

Anyway, it was pretty much understood that the only "careers" seriously considered for or by most girls back then were teacher, nurse, or something secretarial. Even the ones who wanted to be teachers or nurses were assumed to only do that until they found a husband and then stayed home to do the white picket fence Susie Homemaker thing.

Ugh, what idiots we were, LOL

Old Today, 03:53 PM

2,755 posts, read 1,729,068 times
Neither of them could have cared less what I ended up doing, as long as I supported myself. There was no guidance in this or any other area of life. Could have used some.

Old Today, 03:57 PM

2,481 posts, read 3,695,233 times
Our parents were a factory worker and a house-wife who had been a factory worker BC (before children). They strongly encouraged education, Dad sort of hinted that I should investigate one particular school which was Engineering only, tried to discourag my older sister from changing majors to General Education Teaching rather than special ed, and my Mom had often talked about possibly becomming a Nurse so my younger sister's path down that road may have been indirectly influenced as was mine.

All three of us eventually earned Masters Degrees; Accounting, Engineering, and Nursing. So their push toward education took a firm hold in us.

Old Today, 04:01 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,842,276 times
No encouragement/support at all, I was on my own at an early age; weaving my way toward adulthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or