U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:12 PM

1,215 posts, read 387,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
doesn't feel the need to constantly re-examine ones entire life?
Probably everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:15 PM

14,079 posts, read 6,740,898 times
Not me either. I might participate, but I’m not the type. I like to look ahead and move forward. I throw things out when I’m done with it. My husband’s still holding on to his train, a gift my MIL kept for him, still within original box.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:53 PM

6,565 posts, read 5,248,337 times
Is being a fan of genealogy research make me nostolgic? If yes, i guess i am.

I don't want to go back and live in those days, but i just find it interesting looking for my ancestors.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:03 PM

4,847 posts, read 3,367,035 times
Not nostalgic.

I like living in today and thinking about future.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:12 PM

24,947 posts, read 8,802,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm another one. I really have no interest in what other people's favorite toys were or what gifts they received as children, or stories their grandmothers told them. I think about my own life sometimes but don't need to know about someone else's favorite things in childhood.
Ignore those posts. Everyone has opinions.

I happen to have fond memories of my long life and enjoyed so much of my life much more than today's crazy wild fast go go go tech world.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 PM

1,869 posts, read 681,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
I wouldn't say I am anti-nostalgia. But I am, among other things, a History major so I have a natural bias towards looking back in general. But... I do not feel the need to constantly re-examine my life. I knew exactly what I was doing at the time and why I did it. Otherwise, I would have done something else. What's to examine?
Another history major here and I agree 100% with what you said. It took me a while but I finally realized that it makes no sense to beat myself up for decisions that seemed like the best idea at the time.

I do enjoy looking back or remembering everyday life/cultural things though. That can be a lot of fun. For example, in another thread someone mentioned "car coats". Now that phrase has been in some forgotten small dusty corner of my memory for at least 50 years absolutely untouched, and it was positively delightful to have it hauled out again unexpectedly.

IMHO it's also fun to see what objects and memories people our age have experienced in common even though many of us spent our childhoods thousands of miles apart. I do think that humans have a tendency to seek commonalities, rather than differences, between ourselves and other people (or at least I believe/hope most of us do) and nostalgia threads are a way of doing that.

It's funny but I was just thinking the other day that in spite of having spent my teen years in the 1960s, the movies made during that decade are my least favorite. There are a few exceptions but I can count those on one hand. I absolutely love movies from the 1930s, 40s and 50s and quite a few from the 1970s ... but there's just something about most 1960s movies that turns me off. Can't quite figure out what it is, and the irony is that I probably saw more movies during the 1960s than in any other decade! As a child my parents didn't go to movies much, and starting in the 1980s I saw mostly kids movies because I had a young child. I even like silent movies from the 1920s more than movies from the 1960s which you'd think would be "nostalgic" for me... but nope. Go figure, LOL

Old 08-09-2019, 08:12 PM

7,434 posts, read 15,534,180 times
Not nostalgic and don't dwell on the past or past glories (or, lol, failures). There are things I could have done better (given what I know now, in particular) and there are things that I did well. I have no wish to go back and do it again and I would pay real money not to be forced to relive certain things - like, say, high school.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-09-2019, 08:16 PM

5,331 posts, read 2,047,341 times
I think a little nostalgia goes a long way.

I also think it's awesome if people have good memories.

Some people live in the past more than others.

Some people live in the future more than others.

It can be hard to be present to "what is" right now, but I think it is a worthwhile practice to cultivate (a personal, philosophical viewpoint).

Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 PM

9,657 posts, read 11,107,102 times
I grew up in America's greatest days. I'd give anything to go back.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:08 PM

6,514 posts, read 4,894,584 times
At first I thought this thread must have attracted those who are not nostalgic. Then I realized that many of those who posted about their lack of interest in nostalgia are the same people who also posted on the nostalgia threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or