U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 06:32 AM

4,017 posts, read 2,960,702 times

Advertisements

A lot of my nostalgia comes unbidden; a picture popping up in my feed, an old roadside business that looks enough like one from my past to bring the memory up. If I smell, see or have a lime green sucker I can't help but think of the place I got my hair cut a lot over 50 years ago because the barber would always give me one. I have old 8mm films of me and family in my youth that one of my relatives had put on DVD. My kids liked to watch them when they were younger and that gave the longings sometimes. I do like those because there are people from that time I want to remember well. I do fish with vintage reels that remind me of days gone by but that's also being cheap. The only reason I don't have the Mitchell reel I had most of my life is that it went for a swim and I was unable to find it. After going through a couple of cheap modern reels, I bought an old used Mitchell in great shape for $20 and it's just as solid as my previous one. It does makes me think of some of the old memories sometimes. Anyway, I don't dwell in it much on purpose, but I enjoy it when I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 07:04 AM

13,094 posts, read 14,343,132 times
My own idea of nostalgia is longing or yearning for places, situations and eras in the past; whereas simple recollections of the past are not nostalgia.

My own observation is that everything changes, everything is impermanent and to habitually wish for or prefer past times, etc. makes no sense. I can understand not wanting the pain of arthritis (or whatever), but if that means yearning to be young again, I don't get it.

As far as threads such as, "What games did you like in grade school?", "Did you go to your Junior Prom?" or "Did you like your original home town?" go I participate if they interest me, but they are not my idea of nostalgia.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:09 AM

1,101 posts, read 297,301 times
I've have never been a nostagic person -- kept no mementos from high school, college, places visited, etc. Only kept a handful of photos as I do not look back. But, I do occasionally enjoy reminders of an old song, movie, photo that triggers happy feelings of an innocent time of my youth -- something impossible to replicate as you get older. But the feeling is transient as I am more focused on the present and making plans for the future. I have enjoyed every stage of my life so far, one no more so than the other so no longing for the past.

I remember when "camera phones" first came out and i said, "who wants to take a photo with their phone?" LOL

Last edited by Maddie104; 08-10-2019 at 07:44 AM..

Old 08-10-2019, 07:35 AM

29 posts, read 9,069 times
Some things that were important to me no longer are. I have gone to the attic and fished out old concert T-Shirts and things and sold them on e bay. An old man walking around in a Bruce Springsteen shirt? No thanks. At one time when I was young I wore such things all the time, but at age 60 it is no longer "cool" - I have pictures and things that I keep in the closet. But the world is so different today, it seems like a lost and ancient time now. Record stores, phones on the wall, no answering machines, no VCR's, no cable TV, no computers, no internet, no social media. It is strange to me what happened with technology, and not all of it has been good.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:53 AM

11,192 posts, read 12,658,468 times
Sometimes I'll think about being a kid, playing baseball in the park. Other than that no.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:25 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,662,353 times
Other than wondering what became of some very tight friends mostly from my teen years, I pretty much try to stay in the present & prepare a bit for tomorrow. (At this age "tomorrow" is not a given & probably has some very rough seas to navigate I don't like to think about at all.)

But I very occasionally end up with a group of "old people", older than me (67) & sometimes there are several that won't relent on going on endlessly about "the old days" in the neighborhood or in the service or when "things were better" or etc., etc... and it is both boring & sad this yearning for a time gone forever.

I've happened to see/read some interviews/bios about a few artists this year, older artists some of whom it's surprising that they are still alive considering youthful excesses. One thing that they all seem to have in common is a relentless focus on the future & things that should be accomplished & rarely thinking about times gone. There was a film about Dylan made in 1965 & even back then his motto was "Don't Look Back", Picasso, Tolstoy & others were relentless in old age.

But I will confess that right now I'm in more than a bit of nostalgia about the 50th anniversary of Woodstock coming up this week. I was there, the two guys I was there with I lost track of a couple of years later & I figure this might be a good marker to reflect on early ideals & expectations & goals & the long road between that chapter & now... 50 years is a good round number. I might listen to some tunes or watch the movie from then. And hopefully then get back on pulling the plow forward.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:45 AM

8,753 posts, read 9,823,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Is being a fan of genealogy research make me nostolgic? If yes, i guess i am.

I don't want to go back and live in those days, but i just find it interesting looking for my ancestors.

Me too, I guess. I have ancestors that I would LOVE to talk to!

I don't consider myself a particularly nostalgic person but I do sometimes think about 'stuff' from the past. Then when I realize just how old those memories are I'm surprised that they feel so recent. Just yesterday something came up that made me think about my ex. We would have been married 35 years this year. Sure doesn't seem that long! Been divorced 20 years and that doesn't seem as long either.

When I did in home health care most of my patients were much older and most were also terminal. You can believe I heard many stories of their past. I found it interesting but often wondered why they talked about it so much. Finally decided that they had a LOT more past than future so more to talk about.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:49 AM

9,816 posts, read 2,965,764 times
I don't spend a lot of time looking backward either.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:56 AM

8,753 posts, read 9,823,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My own idea of nostalgia is longing or yearning for places, situations and eras in the past; whereas simple recollections of the past are not nostalgia.

My own observation is that everything changes, everything is impermanent and to habitually wish for or prefer past times, etc. makes no sense. I can understand not wanting the pain of arthritis (or whatever), but if that means yearning to be young again, I don't get it.

As far as threads such as, "What games did you like in grade school?", "Did you go to your Junior Prom?" or "Did you like your original home town?" go I participate if they interest me, but they are not my idea of nostalgia.

That is, pretty much, how I feel about it too. I have enough going on in my life right now I don't have the time, nor the inclination, to be thinking about the 'past'. A quick thought now and then maybe. I have no "yearnings" whatsoever, past or future. One day at a time in the 'now'.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:58 AM

32,620 posts, read 20,533,338 times
I do not have a tendency towards nostalgia. Some things have fond memories, others not so much. I generally like change and moving forward.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or