U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 11:06 AM

5,467 posts, read 705,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I know with aging comes a little looking back over ones life. However, when is enough...enough?

Every day there is a thread harkening back to "when you were a kid," or "growing up, did you," etc.

Maybe it's me, but I don't have the nostalgia gene. Anyone else who doesn't feel the need to constantly re-examine ones entire life?
While a song I hear or an old TV show I'm watching may trigger some warm feelings, I make it a point not to dwell in the past. I had a crappy childhood so there's no love lost there. The one big caveat is going to my high school reunions. They're a blast--I've formed a constellation of new friendships I never had while in high school!

I've told my kids: The Past is a nice place to visit but don't live there--it will mess up your mind and stunt your growth.....

ADDENDUM

Looking at other folks' comments made me remember that I do have a cache of mementos from my school days--mostly high school and college. I also have a box called "Fantasy Clothes" which is sort of a fashion time capsule of my life. I still have my prom dress and wedding dress (the marriage tanked but I still love my gown!) and I even have some of my mother's dresses from the 40s and 50s (including her wedding dress!) When I moved to FL I carted all that plus my kids' communion dresses and prom gowns. Kid# 1 was here last month and we dragged her prom dress out of the closet and she tried it on. It looks even better on her now than it did 10 years ago!

I keep this stuff as a sort of time capsule for my kids. When I die they can do whatever with it.

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 08-10-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 11:33 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,323,970 times
At seventy four I have more time behind me than in front of me, so naturally, I find myself reminiscing about the past often enough. Am I nostalgic? No, not really, but I do see the frequent use of nostalgia as an advertising gimmick, and I admit that I do get a kick out of seeing old cars, boats, machinery etc. The only aspect of nostalgia that really causes some hard feeling is the notion by seniors that we had the best, that we are the best, and, that the youth are always inferior to our "greatness."

Old 08-10-2019, 12:02 PM

2,427 posts, read 1,231,663 times
I can never get on the nostalgia wagon either. Old TV shows, old music? No thanks, been there done that.

I like new stuff.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:41 PM

6,525 posts, read 4,897,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
At seventy four I have more time behind me than in front of me, so naturally, I find myself reminiscing about the past often enough. .....
I don't see anything natural about this. I spend very little time on the past. I try to live in the present while also making plans for the future.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:44 PM

563 posts, read 338,524 times
I don't see anything natural about this. I spend very little time on the past.

What makes you think this is natural?

Old 08-10-2019, 02:43 PM

4,384 posts, read 6,131,351 times
Looking ahead instead of backward is a lot more productive. What was... was.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:13 PM

21,973 posts, read 14,708,859 times
Quote:
I know with aging comes a little looking back over ones life. However, when is enough...enough?

Every day there is a thread harkening back to "when you were a kid," or "growing up, did you," etc.

Maybe it's me, but I don't have the nostalgia gene. Anyone else who doesn't feel the need to constantly re-examine ones entire life?
Me neither. At my age, there's more past to remember than present, so I'm often recalling my past, and sometimes that does bring re-examination, but the need is not constant.

I always have more to look forward to than what has been left behind in the past. I may be dimming, but I'm not burnt out yet. There's still a lot left for me to do.

Nostalgia doesn't get along well with the future. It tends to make the past more pleasant than it actually was, I think.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:11 PM

12,581 posts, read 12,768,707 times
I relive the past because when I was young I had way more fun than you can have without ending up in jail.

I examine the past because my depth of experience lends itself to an understanding of the world.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:20 PM

16,873 posts, read 4,428,950 times
Quote:

I don't look back much....I do enjoy story telling (experiences) as part of a thread or debate on human nature or biz or whatever.

But I definitely don't live in the past.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:26 PM

247 posts, read 90,719 times
I'm ambivalent. I shudder at the very word "nostalgia," but I do cherish recalling days of people and pets now past. My ultimate nightmare, paradoxically, would be to find myself brought back into the past. I still have favorite movies, music etc. from long ago I still like, and I'm definitely a history person, comparing now with back then. I also have a--wait for it--weird sense of sentimental existentialism, if you will, regarding the passage of time. Not nostalgia, per se, but the philosophic passing of relentless time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or