U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 AM

24,304 posts, read 18,109,144 times

Advertisements

I think you find good and bad about any time period.

I grew up in the 1990s. I was kind of on the tail end of kids that didn't have computers (unless you were fairly nerdy/parents encouraged it) or cell phones growing up. People still got outside and played and talked face to face and on the phone. I had a computer in the Windows 3.1 days and was one of the first kids in school with broadband around 2000. I kind of had the best of both worlds.

I met a lot of cool people on message boards and in chat rooms who introduced me to a lot of music and discussed religious ideas that weren't common here back then. I met people from around the world in chat rooms like MSN and Yahoo and some IRC channels that I still talk to occasionally. The internet was much more of a free-for-all back then, and I kind of miss that.

IMO, parents today monitor their children way too much. I don't think there are any more creeps now than twenty or forty years ago, but you hear about it more due to the faster news cycle/being saturated in news. I never fit the "local mold" of Southern Baptist, marry high school sweetheart and pop out several kids. I'd have had an even tougher time growing up here without access to a very open and free internet.

I certainly don't miss some things. I don't miss being limited to the local retail scene. I ordered some specialty South African dried sausage a few months ago. None of that would have been possible a couple decades ago. Religion was much more overbearing back then. This is clearly still a Christian area, but most people are less fundamentalist/pushy about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 03:09 AM

705 posts, read 195,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I relive the past because when I was young I had way more fun than you can have without ending up in jail.
I hear you. I grew up in Fort 'Liquordale' in the Seventies and Eighties, during the height of Spring Break. So I had way more fun than you can have without ending up dead!

Just last week, (at a retirement seminar!), everyone at my table stayed afterwards to hear stories of 'old' Ft Lauderdale. They all said I should write a book!

Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 AM

6,067 posts, read 5,010,217 times
Not nostalgic at all. I think my life today is better than it's ever been. I do think back and miss the young taut figure I had back in my 20's and 30's. LOL

Old 08-30-2019, 09:18 AM

5,386 posts, read 9,960,320 times
Aren't we the sum total of all our past experiences?

I appreciate the past and enjoy visiting those memories--especially some of the beautiful places I've been fortunate enough to visit--the ski slopes I've been fortunate enough to ski, trails I've hiked...but I'm also plotting my next adventure while enjoying caring for my flowers and getting together with friends right now...

If we stop having fun and adventure, we grow old...

Past, present--and future--all good!

Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 AM

6,995 posts, read 3,862,496 times
It is human nature to tell stories and make comparisons between different individuals' experiences. We find differences in experience interesting. We find confirmation of our experiences to be reassuring. If you don't want to participate, of if relating past experiences is too painful, don't read or post to those threads.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:29 PM

2,023 posts, read 661,189 times
I donít have much recollection of my youth, just flashes, some highs and lows that stuck with me so no, not big on nostalgia.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:06 PM

219 posts, read 64,523 times
I try not to be nostalgic. Fifty years ago I took no enemy prisoners and shot them outright. They gutted and castrated any prisoners they took so I did them a favor. You didn't read that in the New York Times, did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or