U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 02:46 PM

99 posts, read 83,882 times

Advertisements

No. State of Minnesota pension. They’re good for it, and besides why fret over what one has no control over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 02:56 PM

3,813 posts, read 970,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingFan View Post
No. State of Minnesota pension. They’re good for it, and besides why fret over what one has no control over?
When speaking of pensions, they're pretty safe.

If speaking of a car skating on black ice, plenty of fretting going on.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:02 PM

2,402 posts, read 840,519 times
I'm collecting two pensions, one from a GE sub and one from a Prudential sub, each about $900/month, non-COLA. Both were cut off relatively early for reasons beyond my control; I was downsized from the Prudential sub after 10 years and the GE sub was sold off.

I'm hoping that if the PGBC ever ends up taking over either, mine will be relatively untouched because they're so small. They're below the max the PGBC will cover and hopefully any haircuts the PGBC applies if things get tough won't apply to the smaller amounts.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:56 PM

75 posts, read 16,930 times
Was I worried about my pension? Not until you brought it up.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:11 PM

260 posts, read 126,674 times
This is about the worst thing, not just money?

I am a teacher and retired at the end of May. My husband was hospitalized in June. He became housebound except for doctor visits.

I don't really understand what happened, but it is what it is. He isn't depressed,but he is more comfortable at home. It is what it is.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:29 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,435,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm hoping that if the PBGC ever ends up taking over either, mine will be relatively untouched because they're so small. They're below the max the PBGC will cover and hopefully any haircuts the PBGC applies if things get tough won't apply to the smaller amounts.
This suggests another possible fix to underfunded public worker pensions.

Although they aren't subject to the PBGC Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation, public pensions could be managed with a similar "cap."

A maximum annual rate, perhaps set as a percentage of the local median wage, would reduce the excessive pensions and provide relief to the state and local governments that can no longer pay for past pension negotiations. Some of those agreements were made decades before the current taxpayers were even alive.

Everyone knows that reductions will have to be done in certain places (Illinois comes to mind). The optimal solution is how best to share the pain among all of the stakeholders.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:14 PM

164 posts, read 72,595 times
I cannot control if the pension goes bankrupt so i am not going to worry about it. I tried to get a buyout but they said no, so I will get it every month until they are broke or I am dead.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:20 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,439,528 times
Another No. after the Enron fiasco our union made that it's number one goal, to make sure our pension fund was over funded. now what also helps is that they ended our pension back in 2012 so basically they are just waiting for us old grandfathered folks to die. lol

Old 08-21-2019, 10:53 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,750,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Another No. after the Enron fiasco our union made that it's number one goal, to make sure our pension fund was over funded. now what also helps is that they ended our pension back in 2012 so basically they are just waiting for us old grandfathered folks to die. lol

Hopefully, they won't be "actively plotting" your demise!

Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,103,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
If whoever administers your pension check sends you a fruitcake for Christmas, do NOT eat it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or