Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 09:27 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
The BIG Elephant in the Room A little off topic but necessary to put out there is all those youngsters out there waiting for those employed geezers to retire. Get out of the way. Take a hike.

Geezers hanging on in a job because they can get their wrinkled old a**e* out of bed and out the door is not reason for them to block everyone "below" them from advancement.

"From a geezer."
I'm not quite at retirement age, but it's not far off. Then I'll get out of the way when I'm good and ready.
At least I show up to work every day, can pass a drug test and don't spend all day playing with my phone.

Of course, a large pile of cash could always get me out the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 09:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
The only thing wrong with hating the elderly is sooner than you think you will wear his shoes and a young envious man or woman will be saying hurry it up grandpa

Old 08-11-2019, 09:49 AM

1,142 posts, read 578,798 times
There is something to be said for playing fair regarding good jobs wanted and needed by the younger generation. Especially Gov't, State & County jobs.
If you are financially set but still desire to work, quit your good job and go part time in a needed field. Care-giving, Security Guard, Restaurant worker, Uber driver, Motel/Hotel Worker, Demo person (handing out samples at the grocery) Truck Driver, Custodian, or work the various seasonal jobs which usually have plenty of openings.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:04 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Actually a lady in my bridge club who is 73 and still working. She works for her son, counseling drug rehabs, I think of it as she does so much good to society. Nice thing she can work for relatives, she can take time off if she likes.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The only thing wrong with hating the elderly is sooner than you think you will wear his shoes and a young envious man or woman will be saying hurry it up grandpa
hating the elderly? Where did that come from?

Old 08-11-2019, 12:00 PM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
There is something to be said for playing fair regarding good jobs wanted and needed by the younger generation. Especially Gov't, State & County jobs.
If you are financially set but still desire to work, quit your good job and go part time in a needed field. Care-giving, Security Guard, Restaurant worker, Uber driver, Motel/Hotel Worker, Demo person (handing out samples at the grocery) Truck Driver, Custodian, or work the various seasonal jobs which usually have plenty of openings.
Why would I take a job for a quarter of what I make if I keep working?

I am far more productive in my job than the new hires. I can resolve issues in minutes that take them days, because experience counts. I am also willing to keep myself up to date on technology on my own time, rather than begging for a training class.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:08 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Where is the C-D heavy laughter emoji?

The young should not need the geezers to get out of their way. They should have created something new and hopefully brilliant and be carving their own paths. We call that innovation.
Bada Bing. Millions of young folks are replacing geezers by showing drive and initiative on top of creativity at a lower cost,

Old 08-11-2019, 01:11 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
As others have pointed out, depends upon the field you're in and your particular circumstances.

In Education, I agree 100%. Not only blocking younger, usually more energetic and productive workers but also kids simply don't relate as well to older people, regardless of how competent/skilled they are.

We had a husband/wife team in our school that fit the bill. Late 70's, wife a full time Spec Ed teacher and husband a retired administrator who became a regular substitute. Not only aged but also very poor at what they did and in no need of the extra cash whatsoever. Thankfully they finally gave it up one year before I did, at age 60.
So why did the school hire him to sub if he was that bad? Does this district have a good supply of quality subs or is it like most in need of warm bodies ?

Old 08-11-2019, 01:31 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
LMAO!

Some have worked 20-30 years for their plum job and are staying so they can finally "be paid back" for the first two decades in a more stressful role.

Why on EARTH would you EVER voluntarily retire if you've made it to, say, director at a company like AT&T?

That's the kind of role that you go into a long, deep depression when you leave.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Why would I take a job for a quarter of what I make if I keep working?
Scooting over so the younger generation can have a chance at these jobs esp. State, Federal & County jobs, considering you are financially set yet still have a desire to work?

Quote:
I am far more productive in my job than the new hires. I can resolve issues in minutes that take them days, because experience counts. I am also willing to keep myself up to date on technology on my own time, rather than begging for a training class.
Sounds like you are a valuable employee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement