U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 04:53 PM

6,010 posts, read 5,368,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Wasn't it ever so?
Yep. That is why they had 30 and out pensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 07:19 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,368,289 times
Default From a traitor geezer.

Actually since I am retired and had nine jobs in my working life, I am not sure I am the one to give an opinion on seniors in the workforce sticking in one job and blocking anyone; but I just thought someone should raise the issue.

Maybe I see that its the usual politics of creating controversy where there isn't one, you know, pitting young vs. old, whites vs. everybody else.

I am surprised that no one pointed out that Trump is 73 and his probable opponent is 77. Hello! Trump is a geezer and he is running the country.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:32 PM

4,019 posts, read 2,931,219 times
I am in software development. A lot of my job is supporting stuff that is not all that current; newer tech is used for current projects and pushed at conferences. You can't even find training on half of what I do. Almost no one wants to do it. But support still means adding newer features to work with newer systems and whatnot. There are still hard problems to solve, which is what I enjoy most. A somewhat limited tool means the solution has to be a little more clever sometimes. My company started to let me go (they actually did for a day, but back dated my new contract so that it shows as continuous employment) because of a billing dispute with the client. That brought the client back to the bargaining table because they didn't know where to turn. Anyway, the younger developers cringe at the thought of doing my job.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:00 PM

1,063 posts, read 417,828 times
Two ...no, three responses. Pick one.
1. My boss wants six monthsí notice when Iím ready to retire. Heíll have a tough time replacing me.

2. Make me

3. Give me an incentive to retire.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:34 PM

686 posts, read 204,592 times
During my last few "Geezer" years, I worked in the maintenance department for a fortune 500 corporation's very large, "headquarters" building. Being on-call, I kept a company phone with me, so Security would have someone to contact if an emergency arose (I responded to literally "dozens" of those midnight calls over the years).

About a year after I retired, a large water pipe burst in the building. Had this happened while I was still working there, Security would have called me, I would have told them how to shut off the water, and would have been there within 20 minutes in case they couldn't get it stopped. The young guy who replaced me? He didn't have his phone with him at the time, it took Security almost a half-hour to get hold of someone else who could tell them how to turn off the water. Damage is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, not counting business disruption.

Think they miss this particular Geezer? If I remember correctly, I think I offered to keep my company phone and respond to emergency calls, and the only thing they had to do was pay my cell phone bill, but I think they turned me down, LOL. Probably an issue with Workman's Comp. or something. I don't have a streak mean or wide enough to go back and remind them of that at this point. Bottom line, getting rid of the "Geezers" isn't necessarily in a company's best interest, many young people today don't have the same sense of duty as the old-timers.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 PM

26,246 posts, read 33,232,193 times
Elephant? Nah. You are seeings things.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM

12,937 posts, read 14,212,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
The BIG Elephant in the Room A little off topic but necessary to put out there is all those youngsters out there waiting for those employed geezers to retire. Get out of the way. Take a hike....
It would have been a major help to the discussion if your OP had given the age parameters for "geezer." As it stands it is worded like every other provocative troll posting.

Old Yesterday, 05:07 AM

4,919 posts, read 5,028,782 times
I'm one of those "Geezers."

My company begged me to come out of retirement to train the next generation. The problem was they could not find young people with sufficient skills. Therefore, I'm now giving a crash course in applied electrical engineering to a new grad so that he can do my old job. We're both enjoying this experience. For me, it's an easy part time gig, just 20 hours per week. I get a consulting wage and the company gets a project done with no risk.

If you have an opportunity to do something like that, go for it.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,368,289 times
Default That remnds me of a story

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I am in software development. A lot of my job is supporting stuff that is not all that current; newer tech is used for current projects and pushed at conferences. You can't even find training on half of what I do. Almost no one wants to do it. But support still means adding newer features to work with newer systems and whatnot. There are still hard problems to solve, which is what I enjoy most. A somewhat limited tool means the solution has to be a little more clever sometimes. My company started to let me go (they actually did for a day, but back dated my new contract so that it shows as continuous employment) because of a billing dispute with the client. That brought the client back to the bargaining table because they didn't know where to turn. Anyway, the younger developers cringe at the thought of doing my job.

I think I understand you, but I still hold to the maxim that they should never teach engineers to read.

Anyway, there was this software engineer who worked for a famous cracker maker (really) and immigration was after him because he had an old visa that was reuped 6 times while he waited for his green card. Nicest guy you would care to meet. He came to me for a seventh extension, and I told him that it would be a fun play but NO ONE ever received such an extension and his time had run out.

He insisted so I sent it in. But before I did, his employer sent me a letter to give to immigration. His employer explained that it used really old computer legacy applications to run its plant and that this guy kept the whole thing together with many patches. So without him, no more crackers. He received his extension.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

3,593 posts, read 1,971,650 times
As others have pointed out, depends upon the field you're in and your particular circumstances.

In Education, I agree 100%. Not only blocking younger, usually more energetic and productive workers but also kids simply don't relate as well to older people, regardless of how competent/skilled they are.

We had a husband/wife team in our school that fit the bill. Late 70's, wife a full time Spec Ed teacher and husband a retired administrator who became a regular substitute. Not only aged but also very poor at what they did and in no need of the extra cash whatsoever. Thankfully they finally gave it up one year before I did, at age 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement