U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 AM

4,268 posts, read 1,907,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I just laughed at the guy snoring at his desk in the afternoon. Why should I care if his supervisor didn't?
We've had guys that did that and we did laugh at them.
People would shoot rubber bands at them to wake 'em up. They weren't around long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 AM

13,819 posts, read 6,572,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
People would shoot rubber bands at them to wake 'em up. They weren't around long.
I donít know but one of the geezers I used to work with, he was 89, he dozed just in time and woke up just in time to give the presentation. Everybody knew about it. No firing.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 AM

2,163 posts, read 912,801 times
I'm sure the company appreciated your diligence and rewarded you for it appropriately. Where I worked the guys were left alone and collected a paycheck for years and retired when they wanted to. But most people didn't want to work for the company for 50 years, and got out while they were young enough to enjoy their pensions. Didn't seem to hurt the CEO any as he received a $60 million dollar bonus the year he cut raises to 2-1/2% for the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post

Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 AM

32,192 posts, read 20,284,595 times
We currently have more jobs than people who are on unemployment, so why does anyone need to "get out of the way"?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-13-2019, 06:34 PM

731 posts, read 269,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Why would I take a job for a quarter of what I make if I keep working?

I am far more productive in my job than the new hires. I can resolve issues in minutes that take them days, because experience counts. I am also willing to keep myself up to date on technology on my own time, rather than begging for a training class.
Exactly. Why would anyone want to give up job that s/he likes and is doing well with it, and s/he had worked hard all her younger life for something not in her/his profession and with much lower pay for somebody else. That doesn't make sense. The youngsters will have their turn after working hard for many years first.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:11 PM

13,091 posts, read 15,497,322 times
The youngsters are too busy taking selfies and Facebooking to actually work.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 PM

10,168 posts, read 12,464,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I donít know but one of the geezers I used to work with, he was 89, he dozed just in time and woke up just in time to give the presentation. Everybody knew about it. No firing.
Where I work I am known for nap times with snoring because everyone hears it.

Usually takes 5 minutes and never longer than 10 minutes so that isn't bad. On the upside I wake up refreshed, more productive and I am in good company.

The Napping Habits of 8 Famous Men

It's not even every day maybe once or twice a week especially if I have been under a lot of stress.

My only boss is the owner of the company and he doesn't care but if he did I would quit. When I hear him coming down the hall I pretend to be napping and he just ignores me.

Seriously, why should anyone care if you get your job done?

Old 08-13-2019, 09:25 PM

617 posts, read 375,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
The BIG Elephant in the Room A little off topic but necessary to put out there is all those youngsters out there waiting for those employed geezers to retire. Get out of the way. Take a hike.

Geezers hanging on in a job because they can get their wrinkled old a**e* out of bed and out the door is not reason for them to block everyone "below" them from advancement.

"From a geezer."

Utter nonsense. Ambitious young people of today are not so dumb as that.
Today's ambitious young people in business all know that you advance by taking jobs at growing new companies, not by waiting for someone to "get out of the way".

Also, if the younger folk want to get ahead, they can do what our generation did when they wanted to get ahead, which is start their own company. Or get an education and become a professional such as doctor, lawyer, engineer, programmer.
And the ambitious young folks today do just that. Where do you think all these internet companies came from?

Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM

21,683 posts, read 14,554,132 times
I've been far more often self-employed throughout my life than I've worked for others, so I've never been a career threat to anyone. It's a condition I've never experienced.

Retirement for me is only a convenient word, as I still do most of what I've always done for my income, but I don't do it all anymore. Out of choice.

Thankfully, I've always been fortunate to make money on all the things I like to do the most. When I stopped doing some of those things, I had the time to spend developing new things to do that are easier for me as I age, and they too have made a little income once in a while.

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

3,767 posts, read 949,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
These crummy jobs may seem crummy hence their constant openings but remember, it's not all about the money. Allowing the younger generation a chance, making the difference in the lives of others, a little extra spending$.
Sometimes companies with full-time openings, benefits, and tuition assistance want to see at least a year in SOME job, anywhere, before considering a candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement