U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:32 AM

318 posts, read 94,277 times

Advertisements

Given that the most desired job among our youth today is "You-Tuber" (a topic in the Current Events thread), I say to the OP - and employers - you best hang on to the geezers as long as you can. Personally, I don't see much of a work ethic in 80% of our youth today. They're too busy and obsessed with getting "likes" and dodging actual "work".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:59 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,673,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
From my experience.....older people have better work ethic`s, then the young people of today.
Exactly.

My OH ( age 60) is a lowly grocery store cashier at one job, naturally for minimum wage of course.

The summers my OH usually got cut from 5 4-5hour days to 3 4-5hour days, to allow for college kids to work. Sucks.
This summer, however, my OH got cut from 5 days to one 4hr day a week, in favor of the stupid college kids, who:
1) expect (and get) $2-3 more an hour than my OH; 2) who really DON'T want to be there; 3) who CANT really DO the job ( in some cases because "it's "beneath " them); 4) who DONT really WANT to do the job 5) who DONT care to do the job; 5) who call off "because its a nice day" or " because johnny is having a party" or "OMG! THeres a fair going on. You don't expect me to WORK then do you"??; or are hung over from Johnny's party LAST night! 6) who pull no call, no shows, and STILL somehow have a job.

Older workers are a love /hate relationship fir the young generation running things.
1) older workers DO have an excellent work ethic...love
2) older workers are...so..OLD...hate
3) older workers actually get the job done...love
4) older workers have experience...love
5) older workers are one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel...hate
6) older workers aren't so...up on modern tech...hate
7) older workers got their degree (if applicable) when dinosaurs still roamed tge earth, long before tye millenial hiring manager was born.

And etc etc etc

If i were running a business, id WANT to hire older workers for the reliability, the work ethic, etc but what fo i know???

Makes me wonder a few things:

1) if millennials are all about FIRE, what happens whdn they all retire at age 35???
Who will run things then?
2) will the younger ones EVER develop the work ethic that current older workers exhibit???
3) what happens when the youngers who FIREd early run out of money, and have to go back yo work in TJEIR fifties???

Things that make you ponder...

HOO-RAY FOR THE OLDER WORKERS!!!

Old Today, 10:16 AM

8,064 posts, read 4,930,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Given that the most desired job among our youth today is "You-Tuber" (a topic in the Current Events thread), I say to the OP - and employers - you best hang on to the geezers as long as you can. Personally, I don't see much of a work ethic in 80% of our youth today. They're too busy and obsessed with getting "likes" and dodging actual "work".
I was reading this morning about the growing pushback against YouTube/Twitter/Instagram influencers.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/ic...rnd/index.html

^This guy has their number: The so-called followers and likes? You can buy those. They're not real people, not real views, not real likes. So they don't help your business.

Another woman with a clothing store found influencers to be a ripoff:

https://www.azfamily.com/news/scotts...8efe22a5c.html

There are going to be an awful lot of disappointed would-be style icons, deprived of free stuff and free money.

Old Today, 10:18 AM

8,064 posts, read 4,930,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
And the ambitious young folks today do just that. Where do you think all these internet companies came from?
Venture capitalists.

None of those "ambitious young folks" are willing to bootstrap.

Old Today, 01:40 PM

55,904 posts, read 74,940,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
hating the elderly? Where did that come from?
How strange everybody else got it

Old Today, 04:28 PM

5,209 posts, read 8,744,921 times
Smile Love your attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
Don't know how big the elephant is but the younger guys and girls where I work are glad to have us geezers around. We help them learn their new jobs, preach to them about paying off their debts early and saving money in their 401K's. Several didn't have a clue what a 401K was till they came out here to work. Hopefully when we do retire they will pass on the things we have told them and taught them to help those who replace us. They're just a great bunch of people I am very very thankful to know and be around!

Our job is highly technical, very stressful, and requires long hours. If we have weak ones we help them up and start them walking ASAP because they are our teamates and this job absolutely requires that people put aside their undesirable qualities and work together. We are all so lucky to be with each other.

I'm looking forward to retirement though, I'm getting tired.
I'm sure they are lucky to have you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement