Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 02:02 PM

1,142 posts, read 578,798 times

Advertisements

These crummy jobs may seem crummy hence their constant openings but remember, it's not all about the money. Allowing the younger generation a chance, making the difference in the lives of others, a little extra spending$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 02:40 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
There is something to be said for playing fair regarding good jobs wanted and needed by the younger generation. Especially Gov't, State & County jobs.
If you are financially set but still desire to work, quit your good job and go part time in a needed field. Care-giving, Security Guard, Restaurant worker, Uber driver, Motel/Hotel Worker, Demo person (handing out samples at the grocery) Truck Driver, Custodian, or work the various seasonal jobs which usually have plenty of openings.
but why would I be content at earning $10 an hour when I can earn $40 or $50?

Old 08-11-2019, 03:10 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,557 times
When I retired at 65 I was the oldest person on the work force in our specialty unit. There were people just wanting me to hurry up and get out of their way. 5 years after my retirement not one of those people that were working there at that time or took my place were working there at all. That just about tells you what the reality of the young folks today.

ps I might have worked longer but for those backstabbers that wanted my shift and position. Just didn't want to put up with it any longer.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Haha, I have to wear bullet proof vest for the backstabbers at work.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
There is something to be said for playing fair regarding good jobs wanted and needed by the younger generation. Especially Gov't, State & County jobs.
If you are financially set but still desire to work, quit your good job and go part time in a needed field. Care-giving, Security Guard, Restaurant worker, Uber driver, Motel/Hotel Worker, Demo person (handing out samples at the grocery) Truck Driver, Custodian, or work the various seasonal jobs which usually have plenty of openings.
The reason I am still working at 67 is that I love my job as a middle manager. Yes, it pays well with great benefits but the daily challenges and problem solving are what Keep me at it. None of those jobs that you mentioned would be of any interest to me even if they paid $50/hour.

No one retired early to create space for me in my 20’s. I got my first real job after graduate school by beating out the other applicants, and when I became a supervisor at age 24 several of the people I supervised were in their 60s.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
but why would I be content at earning $10 an hour when I can earn $40 or $50?
It's not necessarily a requirement to work for $10 an hour. I earn about double that and am paid .50cents a mile for mileage. How? I would see ads on Craigslist for housekeepers & Job Coaches. I combined the two to be paid simultaneously.

Started a housekeeping business in my husbands name (so he can have the SS credits) and applied for the job coach position under the condition the clients work for my husbands housekeeping business. Since it's difficult to find employers who want to hire developmentally disabled adults anyhow, as they must pay them min wage though there are some incentives, and difficult to find a stable employee who can afford to work for min wage as a Job coach, it worked out great.

I only charge my clients min wage per hr when cleaning their home. Since that is considered very low cost in our area, we have a list of folks waiting for our services.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:04 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
I disagree. Geezers have been through all the nonsense companies can dish out for decades. Let them profit before they retire. When I was a young guy no one got out of my way or even looked to give me a start. It took years to get to a decent position. It's called paying your dues. It builds character and street smarts. Like another poster said, I was more productive as I got older, but I worked smarter not harder. I accomplished more because I knew more, not because I worked as hard as I did when I started. Was there deadwood that did next to nothing? Sure. But no problem for me. I just laughed at the guy snoring at his desk in the afternoon. Why should I care if his supervisor didn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I doubt anyone would disagree but I also doubt this is very common. Businesses do whatever it takes to increase profit and if that means advancing a younger person ahead of an older person, then that's what it means.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:35 PM

828 posts, read 465,550 times
Don't know how big the elephant is but the younger guys and girls where I work are glad to have us geezers around. We help them learn their new jobs, preach to them about paying off their debts early and saving money in their 401K's. Several didn't have a clue what a 401K was till they came out here to work. Hopefully when we do retire they will pass on the things we have told them and taught them to help those who replace us. They're just a great bunch of people I am very very thankful to know and be around!

Our job is highly technical, very stressful, and requires long hours. If we have weak ones we help them up and start them walking ASAP because they are our teamates and this job absolutely requires that people put aside their undesirable qualities and work together. We are all so lucky to be with each other.

I'm looking forward to retirement though, I'm getting tired.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:53 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
The BIG Elephant in the Room A little off topic but necessary to put out there is all those youngsters out there waiting for those employed geezers to retire. Get out of the way. Take a hike.

Geezers hanging on in a job because they can get their wrinkled old a**e* out of bed and out the door is not reason for them to block everyone "below" them from advancement.

"From a geezer."

Well, as a "geezer" who works 40 per week, I would not have this job if the youngsters behind me could do it better. Young people lack focus, experience, drive, and are not dependable. They only have one thing going for them, they will work CHEAP. Customers look for me because they know I will give them the service they need and I know what I am doing.

So, do you want cheap labor, or do you want someone who knows their craft and who works his butt off ever day, and who shows up every day?

You are welcome to come and try to take my job, but you will have to earn it.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:28 PM

Great points in this thread!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement