U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,366,827 times

Advertisements

The BIG Elephant in the Room A little off topic but necessary to put out there is all those youngsters out there waiting for those employed geezers to retire. Get out of the way. Take a hike.

Geezers hanging on in a job because they can get their wrinkled old a**e* out of bed and out the door is not reason for them to block everyone "below" them from advancement.

"From a geezer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM

6,620 posts, read 8,102,921 times
Where is the C-D heavy laughter emoji?

The young should not need the geezers to get out of their way. They should have created something new and hopefully brilliant and be carving their own paths. We call that innovation.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM

4,104 posts, read 1,160,505 times
I did my best work in the last 5 years before retirement. I got more done, and had better results then almost all of the previous 25 years. I guess I'm a slow learner, but when I was in a position to assert authority and fully use my creativity I took advantage of it. The last couple months before retirement, I got kind of burned out and was ready to go, but not before that.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,091 posts, read 54,929,169 times
I have been spending a lot of time interviewing and hiring lately. Few have been retirements, most have been due to younger (26-35) year old employees leaving either for promotions to other departments or poached by Amazon, Starbucks or Microsoft. The latest starts Monday, age 28, replacing someone age 32. I have no guilt from still working at 67, I enjoy the many challenges solving problems and training new people. We will all retire eventually, but don’t blame us for the younger people struggling to find good jobs, plenty of them have been successful, the others may not have the skills and experience to fill the vacancies whether from retirements or not.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,366,827 times
Default It's complicated

All of the responses to this thread have been pro-senior employment for one reason or other.
But (as PeeWee says, there is always a big but) it depends where that senior is employed.

Let's see, there are 2.1 million federal employees, 640,000 postal workers (who are not federal employees), and an unknown number of state and municipal employees. These positions hold just a certain number of job slots. So retirement age individuals could and do retard employment and employment advancement in these positions.

Some employers discriminate against their older employees, put them on a greasy slide, in an effort to hire younger, cheaper, more healthy, more easy to manage, new hires. So there is wide spread discrimination against older employees.

We have broken down this discussion into senior and non-senior,(on an age basis), but that isn't true. The Tech industry would rather hire a recent STEM graduate for the reasons mentioned above and because advancements in technology are moving so fast that if an engineer is 5 years out of school, without continuing education courses or advanced degrees, that engineer is old school.

It's complicated.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

1,061 posts, read 242,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Geezers hanging on in a job because they can get their wrinkled old a**e* out of bed and out the door is not reason for them to block everyone "below" them from advancement.
I doubt anyone would disagree but I also doubt this is very common. Businesses do whatever it takes to increase profit and if that means advancing a younger person ahead of an older person, then that's what it means.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

13,755 posts, read 6,534,991 times
Not everybody wants to be a federal employees. In private, the oldsters get kicked out sooner.

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,923,436 times
Makes me want to get a job just to pi$$ off the kiddies.
Been retired a while and I enjoyed my work ,might be worth it to get back to work again.
I'd be making more than when I retired .
I've had past bosses asking if I'd come back to work . the kids they had hired to replace me aren't doing so well.
Tough to let businesses you've helped build, struggle with incompetence .
But then I remember why I left.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

2,482 posts, read 1,704,548 times
DH is still working. He was recently chosen for advanced training at a facility in Europe. A younger member on his team asked him directly why he was picked when he will be retiring. DH is a natural teacher and mentor and shares information readily, qualities his manager was after and the younger team member doesn’t possess.

The younger co-worker doesn’t see that. He sees someone else who got what he wanted and is nearing retirement, adding insult to injury. Even worse, DH’s response was that he didn’t know, but was happy for the opportunity. The young buck doesn’t realize it takes more than a rude question to push any buttons and get a reaction from DH. It took me years to learn that.

Last edited by jean_ji; Yesterday at 11:10 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

1,444 posts, read 692,259 times
From my experience.....older people have better work ethic`s, then the young people of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement