Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 09:43 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Teachers, cops, mail carriers, I don't know any that were still working at 60.
I didn’t know teachers retire that young. The ones that were my kids’ teachers retired pretty old. Like 60 at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 10:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Thoughts on Retiring Early to Play, Travel etc...

Don't burn up a bunch of time over-thinking this...

"Retire Early, Retire Often..."

Staying home when the kids are around (Or ASAP) is a great idea. (traveling, teaching, exploring, growing a home business...) Kids will be gone soon enough, then you can go back to work (if you must).

I was out of the workforce (for the 3rd time) at age 49. (using a single income night shift factory job and supporting a family (including disabled parents))

Ideally... I would have had the sense to replace my wage income by about age 20, with an inflation protected and growth positioned income source.

Post 'retirement' we travel about 50 - 80% of the time (While we can.) Once we get to age 65, it will be even easier to pull up roots.

During working / home school years we often traveled 50%+ of the yr as a family. (some was work related travel / international assignments + Leave of absence + volunteer service.)

We stayed home more when farming and when helping our kids build their houses (age 14 - 15), but would follow each significant project / harvest with a 6-12 week trip.

Being a "Wage - Slave" is not a very bright idea. (Additive, Wages will not grow wealth (wages only enable wealth building strategies)... wealth building requires the use of multiplication)

Go NOW, Life will work out the minor details.
Don't lose a minute with your kids... Poof, they are GONE!

My kids didn't have any 'teachers', until they went to free FT college at age 16.
They mastered a lot of skills long before they left for college.
To get into college at age 16, they had to pass a college entrance exam at age 14 (That was not difficult). 10's of thousands of kids do it every year. (for last 30 yrs in our state).

Let's see...
1) spend your life / hours / energy selling your hours to a 'for profit' company that is only looking for lowest cost for most value (contribution to THEIR profits / shareholders)...

or...

2) invest your time in 'growing' your kids (or community) and opening up their minds and opportunities and equipping them for their future service to your community and service to others.....

Easy decision.
It's a No Brainer.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-10-2019 at 10:29 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 01:54 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
The US navy booted me out onto pension when I was 42.

At the same time, our investments were enough to buy us a rural farm.

This year I turned 60, we have been living on my pension for 18 years.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:23 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemee View Post
Anyone have thoughts on Retiring Early so they can travel, play or just chill...while you are still healthy. If you find you need more money later, get a little Job to support yourself!!
It's suprising how much we can live on if we are happy and don't feel the need to fill our lives with material goods etc..

We traveled and played while working. We were both lucky to have jobs where we could take extra time off for longer or additional trips

You neglected to give us your age

There is a BIG difference between buying "material goods, etc" and having enough socked away for later in life.

BTW, we both retired at 70 and we still constantly travel

Old 08-11-2019, 02:26 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
I plan to retire next year at age 56. Been working with the government for 33 years now and I am done. I have know so many people who waited to retire and either died before or shortly after they retired. There are guys I work with who are in the mid to late 60's and still working. I don't want that to happen to me. My wife is 62 and on disability so we want to have time together because you never know when the grim reaper will come calling.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:29 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
There are lots of people working at all ages whether one knows them personally or not. There are also lots of people retired before what others consider normal retirement age whether one knows them personally or not.

I happen to know people who fit in one or the other of those categories and there is no one right and only right choice, there is only what's right and best for the individual in *their* circumstances.

Ultimately it's no one else's business what some other random adult chooses to do with their life, time, and career.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:18 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The US navy booted me out onto pension when I was 42.

At the same time, our investments were enough to buy us a rural farm.

This year I turned 60, we have been living on my pension for 18 years.
Thanks for your service and glad you have been able to enjoy the time afterwards.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:51 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I didn’t know teachers retire that young. The ones that were my kids’ teachers retired pretty old. Like 60 at least.
I’m a teacher and will not be able to retire before age 62 if I want a pension without a reduction. Where I am that means age 55 with 30 years at the earliest, or age 62. If you have 30 years you get 60% of FAS (final average salary). I started later, so I will be working later. As a side note many of my colleagues work summer jobs, and many continue doing that after retired from teaching.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:20 PM

663 posts, read 433,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
It's too late for me to retire "early", but I did make a real conscious effort to see & experience a lot of different things & travel a lot while I was healthy & still employed.
We also made sure we traveled before we retired. My husband retired 10 years before I did. When I was working I was earning 5 weeks of vacation a year and we took advantage of the time with at least one long trip a year along with several long weekends. Now that I am retired we continue to travel at least that much.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:48 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
just an update:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...es-suddenly-62
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement