U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 PM

17 posts, read 4,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
You should go to the FIRE forum which discusses early retirement endlessly. For many people the idea of "getting a little job" when you are say, 70, because you ran out of money is not a good situation. But some people don't care. There is no one answer that works for everyone as to when to retire. We are all different.
It's not about "Having" to get a job because I ran out of money, I've been putting money away and investing since I was 22... to me it's about needing less "Stuff" so one can live a simple easy life and enjoy your time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Geez - I was about to reply with a nearly identical post...I'm counting down two more years to age 56, and plan to go out as soon as I can; like trihiker, I've seen far too many coworkers over the years who kept working long past when they could have retired, only to pass away within a few years after they finally did retire. I also can remember three coworkers who kept working when they could have been retired decades earlier and ended up passing away at their desk, at work. I long ago decided that wasn't going to be me.
That's a high rate of people dying at their desk!! I'm same age as you and literally putting the plan together now.... best of luck to you.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 AM

124 posts, read 60,635 times
I retired at age 46. While I could have boosted my pension another 16% by working until age 55, the thought of throwing away those 9 years when I could be enjoying them to the fullest, just wasn’t worth it to me. As I approach 4 full years of retirement, I haven’t regretted that decision even once.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The sheer jealousy and resentment burns hotter than the sun. The idea of someone being able to and actually stopping work before age 65 is an abomination to many people. They'd be a lot more okay with it if you said you were between age 55 to 60 as that's deemed not too too young in some circles.

But in your 40's?

R e t i r e d?

How dare you! Don't you know you're not allowed? That breaks the laws of C-D that proclaims retirement simply cannot ever be before age 50, under any circumstances.
That's pretty Funny, and Sadly very true for many.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:01 PM

30,847 posts, read 49,739,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemee View Post
That's pretty Funny, and Sadly very true for many.
There are still careers that offer a 20-year pension.

Start at 18 and go onto pension at 38.

I took a break and went to college for 4 years, so I did not get my pension until I was 42.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:35 PM

100 posts, read 27,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemee View Post
Anyone have thoughts on Retiring Early so they can travel, play or just chill...while you are still healthy. If you find you need more money later, get a little Job to support yourself!!
It's suprising how much we can live on if we are happy and don't feel the need to fill our lives with material goods etc..
It's my plan. That's what retirement is all about - a life filled with travel, hobbies, and other leisure activities which you can participate in at your discretion. You can do it on a budget too. Hiking and kayaking don't cost much if you live in an area where you can engage in those kinds of activities.

Investing a good chunk of your paycheck all through your "career" while remaining frugal and then retiring sometime in your 40s to a low COL area in the U.S. or abroad is the way to go.

Alternatively, you can waste 40-50 years of your life taking orders from bosses, constantly worried about what they think of you and wondering when the ax will drop, dealing with all sorts of petty drama and gossip, all the while having to wear a fake smile and pretend to like the people that you work with while wading through monotonous "work" in some dreary cubicle.

I'd rather retire poor and frugal than deal with that BS any longer than I have to.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:39 PM

6,859 posts, read 3,793,444 times
I retired early because I saw my parents go into a decline and spend most of their retired years as mentally and/or physically disabled and in a nursing home. I decided that in my 40s and retired at 52 and my wife retired about the same time. She died when I was 58 so I would have retired alone if I had waited. We were blessed with seven good years together in retirement.

I got a part-time job for a few years with the conditions that I not supervise anyone and not be required to attend meetings. They agreed and I enjoyed that job more than my last few years before retirement. It was just for pocket money and social contacts and mostly outside in the community.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM

3,088 posts, read 1,082,542 times
I’ll retire next year at 62. Looking at maybe retiring for a few years in Spain for travel and lower health costs. When on a scouting visit this summer and will return again before I retire

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

157 posts, read 71,419 times
Life has a funny way of working out, what works for 1 person might not work for another. I am retired it has worked for me. I do have a pension, that helps a lot. I live pretty frugal, that helps even more. I just put in for my social security online.(it was very easy) they just mailed me a package with all the info and how much I am getting and when I am getting it. I own my own home out in the country all paid off so life is good. I got a good old dodge pickup that will last me a long time. I like having my time instead of more money. I could have got a lot more money if i waited but i could drop dead any day so....... I am going fishing, drinking and most likely even some dabbing cause after all I am retired. Just do what you want to do, I did it and it is great!

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

421 posts, read 169,115 times
I started cleaning a 1950's child's chair made of chrome with a light blue plastic seat. It is for my grandson, and I think I paid $3.24 for it at the thrift store. I started cleaning it, then went out to lunch w DH and rested for an hour. DH asked me if I was going to finish the chair today. No, I couldn't do that because we had to go to a "wake" for a friend at the local cemetery.

I always tease him and say that retirement is doing whatever I want everyday, including TODAY.

Ditto for tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or