Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 05:14 PM

8,319 posts, read 4,365,585 times

Advertisements

There is a different thread on "regrets in retirement".... well, I just avoided one retirement regret today! For a very long time, I have been planning to take a voyage up and down the fjordy Norwegian coast, and had a very specific ship in mind. It belongs to Hurtigruten company, and the name of the ship is Lofoten. It is a small primarily cargo ship that also takes about 100 passengers, and it is OLD - has been sailing for 55 years, has the 1960s decor, does not have any "luxury" bells and whistles (a big plus from my point of view), no crowds, but has a status of historic national treasure in Norway. But, today I found out that they are retiring the ship at the end of 2020 (apparently because it does not have accommodations for people with limited mobility). Oh no, because I almost finalized some other travel plans for 2020... but oh yes, I managed to get one of the 5 last available cabins for the sailing dates that I wanted! And pretty cheaply! So, I will not miss this one after all! Alrightttt!

My age: 59 (will be 60 when I take this trip). My retirement status: partly retired since 49 (for the purpose of travel & other forms of personal freedom), still work on temporary contracts (but less and less - it is harder and harder to go back to work after each episode of freedom).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 05:17 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,147,152 times
If you can afford to pull the plug and live your life, go for it. Time is our most precious resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement