Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 04:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I disagree!

DH owned a business and I had a job that required 60 hour workweeks. Yes we travelled when we could, but our trips were short as we both needed to be back on the job.

I had an opportunity to retire at 50 (he was 51)....he hesitated at first as his business was going gangbusters. In the end we cashed out and were able to take long trips to where we can enjoy a new culture, a new cuisine, gave us a new look on life. It's a different sort of travel compared to squeezing in a week here and there when you have busy careers.

We are 66 and 67 now and not one regret. Still traveling, enjoying life.
Get a regular job then. There are many ways to solve a problem. You got tied to a government job, so you can get a big pension. Why not get a regular job. My daughter owns a business and she gets a hole month off every year. But it sounds like you did travel, so why the heck do you disagree with my statement. Of course, I had kids, that means my schedule is even more restricted than yours, but I still did some travelling. The idea that you have to quit your job cold turkey to travel is a farce. Enjoy your life in moderation. Otherwise, what’s good is your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 04:10 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
How early is "early retirement"?

Some people would say anytime below age 55 is early; others would say 60 and below. Still others would opine under age 65 is early. And some think early retirement is someone below age 45, but not consider above that to be early. Ask 10 people and you might get 10 different answers.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:18 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"...thoughts on Retiring Early..."
my wife said to. she saw two of my friends
die before 67. she said get some while you can.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:22 PM

645 posts, read 1,540,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemee View Post
Anyone have thoughts on Retiring Early so they can travel, play or just chill...while you are still healthy. If you find you need more money later, get a little Job to support yourself!!
It's suprising how much we can live on if we are happy and don't feel the need to fill our lives with material goods etc..
Hallelujah, and my philosophy for many decades. I retired at 46 and live on very, very little. Everything I own would fit in a 8'x10' room. I have always fixed my own older vehicles, cooked my own healthy food, cut my own grass (and what's left of my hair), shovel the snow, home repairs, etc, etc. Also started investing when I was in my early 20's by myself, never allowing some 'financial expert' to scam me of a 1-2% of assets under management fee... Making them rich while after 40 years I would have had only about 60% of what I could have by virtue of their compounding fees.

Now I'm in the position where basically I could do about anything I want, most importantly anything I want to do when I want to... I'm almost giddy with delight of not having to fight any traffic, have to go to work/shopping/anything when the roads are bad from snow, or putting up with so much of an atoms worth of B.S. from a boss, co-workers, anybody. I can always potentially make $$$, but try and buy a seconds worth of time. When you start to get older, even in your early 50's you start to see so many people you know pass away, many around your age, and your mortality really starts to become clear.

Now I have time to exercise twice a day when I want with no worries, kick back and have a cup of tea watching all of the wildlife behind my home, and have everyday feel like Friday night. I have never been bored, and it especially fits well for a super introvert such as myself. I have had flack from some in other CD threads where I mention my age as retired, and they start flinging insults as if I am lying, calling it BS, etc... Well, live under your means, don't be addicted to new expensive crap (esp vehicles), stay well as best you can, and invest early in low cost methods to make the most of compounding. Only issue that really sucks is the crazy, ****ty state of health care cost in the USA. I am using the ACA, and when I first started with it, it was OK; now it's not by virtue of the exponential rise of premiums and copays/deductibles. Madness.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:46 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
I have had flack from some in other CD threads where I mention my age as retired, and they start flinging insults as if I am lying, calling it BS, etc...
The sheer jealousy and resentment burns hotter than the sun. The idea of someone being able to and actually stopping work before age 65 is an abomination to many people. They'd be a lot more okay with it if you said you were between age 55 to 60 as that's deemed not too too young in some circles.

But in your 40's?

R e t i r e d?

How dare you! Don't you know you're not allowed? That breaks the laws of C-D that proclaims retirement simply cannot ever be before age 50, under any circumstances.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:50 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,712 times
Quote:
Anyone have thoughts on Retiring Early so they can travel, play or just chill...while you are still healthy. If you find you need more money later, get a little Job to support yourself!!
It's suprising how much we can live on if we are happy and don't feel the need to fill our lives with material goods etc..
I wouldn't do that if there was any chance I might need a little money. Besides, I don't have a huge need to travel. I find google maps street view is pretty satisfying - in fact I can see more of the world than if I spent a month traveling.

I've been "playing" since I was a kid. Still do. Play sports at lunch, have hobbies, post on CDF, work in the yard....I'm already doing what I want. In fact, I've met several people in their 70s who became bored with reitrement - didn't like golf or fishing, so they came back to work in a less stressful role, part time.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The sheer jealousy and resentment burns hotter than the sun. The idea of someone being able to and actually stopping work before age 65 is an abomination to many people. They'd be a lot more okay with it if you said you were between age 55 to 60 as that's deemed not too too young in some circles.

But in your 40's?

R e t i r e d?

How dare you! Don't you know you're not allowed? That breaks the laws of C-D that proclaims retirement simply cannot ever be before age 50, under any circumstances.
I don’t think there’s any law here about that. The military people retire very young, like Submariner.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:20 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
I plan to retire when I will financially able to do so. That will enable me to travel, play, or just chill. I already know what I can live on... but the traveling and playing and doing whatever the hell I want… That cost a little more. Thats what I want to do, so That’s what I’m saving for.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:31 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don’t think there’s any law here about that. The military people retire very young, like Submariner.
Teachers, cops, mail carriers, I don't know any that were still working at 60.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I plan to retire when I will financially able to do so. That will enable me to travel, play, or just chill. I already know what I can live on... but the traveling and playing and doing whatever the hell I want… That cost a little more. Thats what I want to do, so That’s what I’m saving for.
You don’t fancy live in a van?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement