U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

30,322 posts, read 47,597,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
My biggest problem so far in getting a Will together so things get done when I'm gone has been trying to find two people to be witnesses who are not named in the Will. Other than that, small, simple estate. Mostly money accounts with beneficiaries or already set to "Transfer on Death." I just need somebody for the hospital or the cop or ambulance crew that finds me to be notified then notify everybody else, go through my place and throw everything out maybe see the car.

There's not much stuff or much to do now and if I get another 20-25 yrs there will be even less to deal with.
In fact I just talked with an estate administrator and they said the Will in my case is mainly just to designate a person to notify. Nearly everything else is s fait accompli
You can use anyone as a witness—neighbors, friends, the secretary in your doctor’s office, people working at the post office—
Anyone who is willing to witness you signing the will—
They don’t need to know what it includes

Our attorney had two people paid to be witnesses come to his office—
Look at our IDs and witness us signing our wills and other documents like power of attorney
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

761 posts, read 209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would never ever do a will on my own after experiencing not one but two wills in life with defective wording
Were those wills done by a lawyer?

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

72,628 posts, read 72,480,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Were those wills done by a lawyer?
yes but not estate attorneys ... both were done by lawyers who were just general practitioners and used canned documents .
these were two different people

our estate attorney saw the issues in a flash

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

72,628 posts, read 72,480,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You can use anyone as a witness—neighbors, friends, the secretary in your doctor’s office, people working at the post office—
They don’t need to know what it includes

Our attorney had two people paid to be witnesses come to his office—
Look at our IDs and witness us signing our wills and other documents like power of attorney
witness's should be young and healthy people ..... you never know when your heirs may need to find them .

Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

30,322 posts, read 47,597,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
witness's should be young and healthy people ..... you never know when your heirs may need to find them .
Yes—and our witnesses had their names/contact info on part of the documentation I think
This was done via attorney
You should also use people who are adults—
I know that might seen obvious but...

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

2,354 posts, read 2,469,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My dad left my son his mechanics tool box. Things soured with the family after my dad passed from cancer, the tool box was sold by my mother. My son was devastated. He was the apple of both of my parents eyes, never thought my mother would do this to him but she did because my 2 siblings told her to...
Imagine how happy your son and your dad would have been if he'd had given him the tool box while he was still alive?

Me, I'll probably die with nothing left but real estate and and investments, because I give away my personal property like candy to my grandkids.

They're happy and I'm happy. Win/win.

Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

8,457 posts, read 9,222,703 times
Quote:
And it costs money to create a trust
A trust can be set up incorrectly just like a will can contain faulty wording
A trust usually requires paying an administrator a fee in relation to the time and effort to administer the trust
My attorney (wife) does trusts for about $1500 to $2000. You avoid the cost of probate, which could be well in excess of tens of 1000s of dollars. Plus probate could take a year or two to distribute the estate. With a trust the distribution could be as quick as 41 days in most states. But of course you’ll be dead so it won’t matter to you.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

536 posts, read 319,472 times
Quote:
See, the boldface is the hard part. I cannot ask someone I hardly know to do something like this.

BUT... I was thinking of going to a lawyer instead of using Legal Zoom or one of the online "will makers" simply because I figure he can rustle up some warm bodies as professional witnesses. I'm sure lawyers have these people on retainer the way Perry Mason always hired Paul Drake do his foot work for him.

With a short, sweet, uncomplicated will it shouldn't cost much more than the $100 or so bucks Legal Zoom charges

Last edited by fallstaff; Yesterday at 06:07 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

13,798 posts, read 6,554,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
My biggest problem so far in getting a Will together so things get done when I'm gone has been trying to find two people to be witnesses who are not named in the Will. Other than that, small, simple estate. Mostly money accounts with beneficiaries or already set to "Transfer on Death." I just need somebody for the hospital or the cop or ambulance crew that finds me to be notified then notify everybody else, go through my place and throw everything out maybe see the car.

There's not much stuff or much to do now and if I get another 20-25 yrs there will be even less to deal with.
In fact I just talked with an estate administrator and they said the Will in my case is mainly just to designate a person to notify. Nearly everything else is s fait accompli
This is why I went to a lawyer and got a trust instead of. I couldn’t find anybody to witness, I guess I could use my neighbors, but I was wondering whether the witness has to be alive or dead. At least at the lawyers office, there are multiple people.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM

536 posts, read 319,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This is why I went to a lawyer and got a trust instead of. I couldn’t find anybody to witness, I guess I could use my neighbors, but I was wondering whether the witness has to be alive or dead. At least at the lawyers office, there are multiple people.
How is a trust easier than a simple will with "professional guest witnesses"? And with a trust vs will, who is the executor or whatever it's called in this case? There still needs to be a body with legal authority to start pushing the right buttons when you're gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or