U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 11:07 PM

23,501 posts, read 28,515,970 times

Advertisements

At the Smithsonian in Washington, DC, a couple from the town where I live. It was extremely crowded and amazing that we could even see each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:47 AM

7,096 posts, read 3,940,744 times
When I was in the Army I ran into a guy in the snack bar on base in Korea who lived two blocks from me on the east coast who I didn't even know was in the Army.

My NY landlord in an airport leaving Florida who had been at the same resort I had been for a week.

Two friends from New York on a pier in San Francisco.

My brother from Texas who was in the same restaurant, rode the same cable car and was staying in the same hotel as I, also in San Francisco.

Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM

4,367 posts, read 6,096,546 times
At a candy store a few hours away, a woman called out my name. I looked into her face and came up blank. She was a Facebook friend from over 1,000 miles away who I never met personally. She said she recognized my husband's face first. I post a lot of pics of him.

Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM

5,917 posts, read 4,923,765 times
I lived in CA and ran into a co-worker in a gift shop in Belize. I had no idea he would be there the same time I was there on my honeymoon.

I recently met a couple who live a few blocks away here in TN. They answered my ad in which I asked if anyone had Euros to sell before we left on our trip to Spain. It turns out they both went to my high school in NorCal 40 years ago. They were a few years older, so we never really knew each other, but the school was closed about 3 years after I graduated, so not that many other graduates around, and certainly not in TN.

Last edited by TheShadow; Yesterday at 06:27 AM..

Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM

5,465 posts, read 1,363,178 times
I was at the most remote place I have ever been in my life....a high end resort in a very small island in Hawaii. There are only two hotels on the entire island. I was sitting by the pool and I noticed a woman staring at me. Finally, she came over and asked if I was _____ and I said yes and she was someone I probably hadn't seen since I was 14. I was 37 at the time.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

4,497 posts, read 2,670,348 times
Any time I bump into someone I know in the men's room, especially when traveling.

Men in the men's room are like people in an elevator, you DONT talk, you DONT look anywhere but at your business, and you get in/out as fast as you can.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

410 posts, read 157,989 times
Amazingly high perception facial recognizers!

There was a joke in my small town NOT to take a winter trip to Caribbean with anyone except your spouse, you will be seen. We never had enough money to do that in early years but we heard about people who got caught cheating.

It's pretty common for Floridians to run into people in cooler places like Canada and Alaska in the summer. We camped next to people from Florida next town over while in Cape Breton National Park Canada and they had just run into Florida locals in Newfoundland (distant island only accessible by ferry).

I have fairly good facial recognition but have never run into friends/etc in a distant location. Maybe they saw me and did a 180 haha.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

2,785 posts, read 1,589,740 times
A few years back, I had a business trip to Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand, all planned around business needs. Ended up in Bangkok the same time as my mother, who was at the end of a Himalayas trip.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM

93 posts, read 7,973 times
We live in the Chicagoland area. A number of years ago we ran into an old neighbor of mine that I met in grade school when we were vacationing in Saugatuck, MI. I hadn't seen her in years.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

30 posts, read 7,356 times
2 instances

A few years ago I ran in to a guy I was in the Marine Corps with, same platoon, lived across the hall from each other in the barracks...hadn't seen him in 25 years. He just happened to hold the same position as me in a different region of the country (there are only 20 of us doing our specific job nationwide), we were having a conference and there he was.

Another instance...

About 10 years ago I ran in to a former co-worker while I was walking out of the Super Bowl, I was having a casual conversation with his son and had no idea that I knew his Dad. I was living in TN at the time, the Super Bowl was in Tampa and I worked with the guy in AZ so, it really was one of those "small world" moments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or