U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:16 AM

637 posts, read 294,679 times

Advertisements

I was at a dog show once and kept noticing a woman standing at a fence a few yards away. She looked SO familiar.

Finally got up the nerve to approach her and realized that she sat behind me in highschool homeroom 30 YEARS AGO and more than 600 MILES AWAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 AM

2,811 posts, read 6,494,714 times
Have had a handful of experiences:

- as a teen, on a long cross-country road trip, my school bus driver from NC was camping next to us in San Antonio.

- I ran into a photographer friend who lives in Baltimore at a record shop in Brooklyn while I was vacationing in NY.

- I ran into a former coworker while hiking back in The Needles district of Canyonlands National Park. He’d worked in the Silicon Valley office of the company I used to work for (I was in RTP). What made it especially funny was that we both were carrying the same “swag” day backpacks that the company had given us.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:02 AM

11,024 posts, read 5,151,151 times
I left Florida in 1978 and moved to Long Island. I was at the disco "Uncle Sam's" when I ran into an old boyfriend from Florida.

My husband worked with a guy in California in Silicon Valley named Jim. My husband moved to Long Island where we met, then we moved to Fort Myers, Florida. He was working at a car rental agency at the airport. He was getting a new boss. Turns out it was Jim. Such a small world sometimes.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:22 AM

467 posts, read 465,489 times
I live in California. Ran into my sister outside of the Musee d’Orsay. She was getting off a tourist bus. We had no idea we were both in France.

In line to pickup will call tickets for Phantom in London. The guy in front of us was the father of my daughter‘s best friend. Sure enough seconds later a whole family came in. Despite never syncing calendars, we also ran into that family in Maui and Florence, Italy.

The weirdest I ever heard was my good friends were on their exotic honeymoon. For this hop they took a small sea plane to a tiny island on the Great Barrier Reef to stay in a tiny exclusive resort they had reserved a year earlier. They got there and their luxury hut was not ready, the previous tenant wasn’t ready to leave. Into the hospitality blusters the malingerer, who happened to be their boss. Amazingly, the boss immediately realized how this would look to his minions, and decided he would, in fact, be leaving. They all shared a drink while he waited for his plane.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:19 PM

137 posts, read 57,182 times
Hotel lobby in Hong Kong. My friend and I were walking out to lunch when we almost bumped into a couple we knew from LA. Neither of us knew the others were there. It was so cool to be 16,000 miles from home and just happen to run into friends!

Old 08-13-2019, 01:20 PM

456 posts, read 78,676 times
The weirdest was I was walking down the street in Crystal City, VA to get something to eat and I was passing a strip club as my former boss from maybe 5-6 years earlier was walking out, I was working in NOLA and he was in IL at the time. A little awkward.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:04 PM

7,273 posts, read 4,049,056 times
We were in Guatemala walking on a road with little shops. Someone across the road yelled my husband's name. Turned out to be one of his patients at county mental health, a real crazy guy. We left early the next day and managed not to see him again.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:45 PM

16,585 posts, read 6,561,893 times
Two more that come to mind:
  1. Meeting my stepbrother in the stairwell of a White Plains parking lot; and
  2. Meeting an old camp friend from the summer of 1972 at a weekend camp for adults in Connecticut.
About the latter, when he introduced himself I made jokes about Lincoln Farm involving him and he was dumbfounded.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:45 PM

7,238 posts, read 3,986,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
Whether that be an old friend , an old boss or an old teacher

I was on hoilday in Thailand when I bumped into someone I worked with in Germany .
I was getting an ultrasound in radiology at hospital for a problem pregnancy (I spontaneously aborted not long after). I was very distressed at the time, of course, and my belly was exposed. I was literally on the table, with the radiologist running the device over my belly, while we looked at the radiology image being shown. A sister of a friend worked in radiology, and stands in the doorway and calls out, all smiles & friendly, "Hey, Bpollen! How are you? You're looking good. Where are you working these days? So great to see you!" I tried to smile and be friendly, but I don't know if I pulled it off.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:35 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,310,720 times
15 years after our next door neighbors moved away to a different city 8 hours away from my home town, I was on a trip having breakfast in a motel restaurant 9 hours drive away from our hometown. These former next door neighbors walked past our table to have breakfast. I recognized them immediately.

I walked over, said "Hi, are you the McMillans?" and he said "Yes, and who the hell are you?" LOL

They still looked the same (but older of course) but I was just a kid the last time they saw me, so I had changed a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or