U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 05:59 PM

1,604 posts, read 578,164 times

Advertisements

On my honeymoon on the West Coast. My wife noticed some guy yelling at us from behind. She was concerned. I turned to potentially confront this individual only to find out we graduated Grammar School 20 years prior on the east coast. He moved to the west but was able to recognize me as we were walking away from where he was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 PM

11,404 posts, read 8,660,130 times
A gay bar and neither of us were gay but we immediately thought.... It was in the 70s.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,612,290 times
In 2018 I drove from New Mexico to Phoenix to attend their Modernism week, which included a tour of mid-century modern homes. At the last home on the tour there was Air Force/Thunderbird memorabilia on the walls. I looked closely and realized the pilot had an unusual name that I had recalled from years before. I tracked down the lovely woman who owned the home and asked her what relation she was to the pilot. She said it was her dad.

Back in the late '70s I was a teenage Air Force brat living in Florida. I had been this woman's babysitter when she was just an infant.

Last edited by jakabedy; 08-13-2019 at 09:38 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 05:45 AM

93 posts, read 55,990 times
At 15 living in Australia, I had a holiday visiting an older cousin in Goroka, a town in the highlands of New Guinea. (50 years later, it is still a life highlight!)
Walking down a dirt street, I met a boy I went to school with 4 years earlier that I had not seen since my family moved to another state.
Sad bit was it took about 2 minutes to realise we still did not like each other....

Old 08-16-2019, 07:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,545 posts, read 55,589,687 times
We went with our daughter, her husband and the grandkids to Disneyland a few years ago, and ran into my wife's sister and her husband there. Neither knew the other was going there at that same time.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:05 PM

89 posts, read 20,840 times
A suburb of Shanghai. I was with a colleague and he wanted to stop by a Chinese friends apartment. I walk in and it was the home of a man I had work with 15 years before when living in Joplin Missouri. It can be a small world.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:20 AM

3,026 posts, read 5,063,343 times
1975 flying home to Maine from tech school at Chanute AFB, Ill. My flight from O'Hare to Boston was late and had to catch a space available seat in 1st class. Once we were in the air to Bangor the stewardess (back in the day) took our drink orders. I heard a familiar voice in the row behind me. Turned out to be a friend from home along with another guy from 30 miles up the road; both on leave from Great Lake Training Center in Chicago. The reunion last longer at Bangor as all of parents and girlfriends had come to pick us up.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:03 AM

6,667 posts, read 8,259,375 times
Tokyo airport. Ran into a co worker who was returning to the US from Sakhalin Island in Russia while I was headed to Singapore.

Ran into brother in law deplaning in Newark NJ from the plane I was waiting to get on. Small world. He lived in Dallas and I lived in Houston at the time.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM

8,772 posts, read 9,849,640 times
Reading these posts reminds us that it is, indeed, a small world. I've never run into people in "strange" places but once, in a restaurant, I ran into a woman I used to work with. The 'odd' thing was we knew one another in Phoenix and met up in Detroit! Surprise!! Another one was running into my ex-dh at a state park. Both of us traveling north and about 500 miles from where we lived when married. We had been divorced for 20 years at that time but recognized one another instantly.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:55 AM

990 posts, read 154,729 times
There are two people I knew who didn't know me, two celebrities, that I've literally bumped into in my lifetime. One was in Whelan's Drug store, across the street from Rockefeller Plaza/NBC Studios in Manhattan, about fifty years ago, when I was a teenager. It was Paul Lynde. I was going up the aisle, he was coming down the aisle, and bam. He seemed very leery about being recognized and just wanted to get away so I said "Excuse me" and kept walking. In that second or two when we collided I could see his makeup. He was probably on a break, filming something across the street (Hollywood Squares, most likely).

Incident #2: Once upon a time I worked as an usher for a college graduation ceremony at the Boston Park Plaza. I entered the ladies' room briskly at the very moment another lady was exiting briskly and we collided. We immediately exchanged profuse apologies and checked to make sure the other was all right. It was Isabel Sanford, who played "Weezie" on The Jeffersons. She was the keynote speaker for the graduation that year. We stopped and chatted about the upcoming event for a while after brushing ourselves off . She was the sweetest, nicest, warmest, classiest woman! I'll never forget those few minutes we got to meet.

Last edited by barb712; 08-26-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or