U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 06:16 AM

4,807 posts, read 4,937,321 times

Advertisements

two times on a cruise ship. The first time a retired coworker. I had not retired at that point but he had. Second time I bumped in my boss on a cruise ship. To be honest he was just my military boss and he was celebrating with his family prior to departure for a war zone deployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 11:07 PM
JRR

3,886 posts, read 2,328,728 times
My wife and I were talking about concerts we have gone to over the years and this came up in the conversation.

Many years ago we went to an Anne Murray concert at the Ocean Center in Daytona Beach. We were in about the fifth row and a couple of rows in front of us was a young women with an older man. She must have made a refreshment stop on the way as she was really obnoxious. After every song, she would yell at the top of her lungs "Sing Snowbird"! The man with her tried to quiet her down but to no avail. Eventually Anne said that she would sing the song when she was darn well ready to do it.

Fast forward to another Anne Murray tour a year or so later and we went this time to the Lakeland Civic Center to see her. If I remember correctly the center had about 8000 seats. So we go to our seats and guess who is sitting right beside me; only this time with a man about her own age. And she was just as quiet and polite as could be. I even commented about how much I enjoyed the concert in Daytona and she said that she did also. Little did she know that we were thinking about what a jerk she was that other night.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:28 PM

13,121 posts, read 15,597,271 times
Ran into cousin at a NASCAR track halfway across the country from where we both lived. We lived four hours’ drive time apart.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:13 AM

109 posts, read 141,652 times
I met two former friends within two hours.

I was early for an appointment at the Veterans Hospital. To kill some time, I went to the vending room area and ran into a high school classmate.

After the doctor's appointment was over I was going to my car, I met a guy I served with in Vietnam.

That's two people within two houra.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:27 PM

2,468 posts, read 2,542,382 times
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it - Stephen Wright

Old 09-20-2019, 08:42 PM

2,648 posts, read 1,586,380 times
I was living in Virginia, and I met a co-worker I'd known for years on the ferry between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. I went to Newfoundland thinking "I bet nobody ever goes there on vacation."

Old 09-20-2019, 08:50 PM

16,583 posts, read 6,561,893 times
I went to Turks and Caicos Club Med in late October 1987. I met someone named Steve. He was 26 and I was 30. We played tennis a few times. I got into a nasty argument with a girl there. I suppose we both had a bit too much liquor in our system. Steve and I did not talk after that. I was humiliated by my behavior. I was uncharacteristically belligerent and it was just not like me.

Exactly a year later, we both wound up on the same trip, in Turks and Caicos. We signaled that this time I would be nice and I actually was a much nicer person a year later than before. Steve and I are still pretty close friends. I went to his wedding in North Carolina in January 2000 and his younger son's Bar Mitzvah in September 2015. We speak about four times a year.

Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

14,186 posts, read 8,867,186 times
My friend's wife tell this story:
June is a fitness instructor. He is an engineer in Ft Worth. Together, they took a trip to Hawaii.
On the private beach, everyone was topless. June was a little shy about it, but everyone else was topless, so, "Oh what the hell". Off came the top, out came "the girls". To make herself comfortable, June placed a magazine over her face. (If I can't see people, they can't see me, right?)

Her husband suddenly greets someone! Ye Gads, it's someone from work in Texas! They are conversing pleasantly, and June is hiding under her magazine silently screaming, "Don't introduce me"! He didn't, and the two friends parted ways promising to stay in touch.
June made her husband promise that he would never, under any circumstances, introduce her to his friend.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

3,790 posts, read 2,901,966 times
Not me but my father.

He worked in a public school and had a friend, Louie, who never stopped talking. The guy always had a joke and comment for every circumstance.

One day we were in Boston, and for some reason my father decided late int the day that he wanted to see the whole city. Apparently you could see it best back then(in the 1950’s) from the observation deck of the John Hancock Insurance Building.

So at 4:45 PM, 15 minutes before it closed, he went up on the last allowed elevator to the deck. There was only one other person there; you guessed it: Louie. The both stared at each other for 30 sec. Neither could believe that they met each other. And amazingly, my father was the first to speak.

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

2,468 posts, read 2,542,382 times
Years ago I was working the night shift and we got a call about a disturbance at a local lesbian club.

We started pulling people apart, and I realize I've got my old high school girlfriend in cuffs in the back of my car.

I knew it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or