U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 02:09 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,384,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Both of my parents got the vaccine in their 60's- dad (who was an MD) STILL got shingles in his late 70's and it almost killed him.

Dad did tell us that the vaccine will NOT prevent you from getting shingles- it only reduces your chances somewhat.

Your dad got the first shingles vaccine in the 60s.

Shingrix was developed because the original vaccine (Zostavax)was only partially effective

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/new-shin...grix-zostavax/

Quote:
Shingrix is 97% effective at preventing herpes zoster (shingles) in folks over 50 whereas the Zostavax shot is 50-64% effective in preventing shingles in those 50-70 and even lower for those over 70. Shingrix also stays effective for longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Sorry...maybe thread should to moved to health then

NO, because vaccines are not permitted to be discussed in H&W

Old 08-16-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I did have chickenpox as a child. Do I still need the new shot?

Yes, more than if you didn't

When you have Chicken Pox, the virus continues to lie dormant in your nerve endings until something triggers them to "wake up" and you will then develop shingles.

You cannot get shingles unless you previously had chicken pox.

Also, the Zostavax that you previously received is about half as effective as Shingrix

Get your two doses of Shingrix

Old 08-16-2019, 04:20 PM

6,427 posts, read 3,651,921 times
Shingrix.

First shot just a sore arm.

Second shot a three-quarter inch high and four inch wide red swelling for a week. I felt listless and went to see the doc. She said I was allergic to the vaccine.

Glad I did it and would do it again. I've watched family members suffer for over a year with the shingles.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:59 PM

5,525 posts, read 2,821,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Your dad got the first shingles vaccine in the 60s.

Shingrix was developed because the original vaccine (Zostavax)was only partially effective

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/new-shin...grix-zostavax/
I think he meant his parents got the shot while they were in their 60s, not during the 1960s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Shingrix.

First shot just a sore arm.

Second shot a three-quarter inch high and four inch wide red swelling for a week. I felt listless and went to see the doc. She said I was allergic to the vaccine.

Glad I did it and would do it again. I've watched family members suffer for over a year with the shingles.
My arm also turned red after the first shot at the injection site. It turned out to be cellulitis. I ended up going to Urgent Care and getting a prescription for antibiotics.

I forgot all about that. But I'm pretty sure the cellulitis didn't have anything to do with the vaccine.

I also forgot to say I got the Shingrix vaccine, too.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:32 PM

87,173 posts, read 103,138,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you donít want to get shingles, yes. Only people who have had chicken pox are likely to get shingles.

But speak with a doc about this.
It's not necessary to talk to a doctor. The CDC says:
"You should get Shingrix even if in the past you

*had shingles
*received Zostavax
*are not sure if you had chickenpox

There is no maximum age for getting Shingrix.

If you had shingles in the past, you can get Shingrix to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific length of time that you need to wait after having shingles before you can receive Shingrix, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has gone away before getting vaccinated.

You can get Shingrix whether or not you remember having had chickenpox in the past. Studies show that more than 99% of Americans 40 years and older have had chickenpox, even if they donít remember having the disease. Chickenpox and shingles are related because they are caused by the same virus (varicella zoster virus). After a person recovers from chickenpox, the virus stays dormant (inactive) in the body. It can reactivate years later and cause shingles.

If you had Zostavax in the recent past, you should wait at least eight weeks before getting Shingrix. Talk to your healthcare provider to determine the best time to get Shingrix."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html
Mod note-govt. website

Old 08-16-2019, 06:00 PM

2,188 posts, read 639,612 times
Hope they work this crap out by the time I turn 50 in about 20 years.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:27 PM

5,341 posts, read 3,699,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Hope they work this crap out by the time I turn 50 in about 20 years.
I have heard of young folks getting shingles. I heard it from a druggist its not common, but apparently it does happen, so you should should hope you don't get shingles before you are old enough to get the shots.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:46 PM

24,498 posts, read 8,581,808 times
Hey everyone look back at post 113 from the moderator, talk ONLY to the OP's question. Am I the only one who read the comments in RED.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:14 PM

21,829 posts, read 14,512,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I have heard of young folks getting shingles. I heard it from a druggist its not common, but apparently it does happen, so you should should hope you don't get shingles before you are old enough to get the shots.
There have been multiple people commenting (not sure if it is this thread or not) about getting it in their early thirties. Even if this shot was not completely free I would have paid for it after reading the horror stories about Shingles I have read on this forum. In fact, I probably would not have even gotten vaccinated myself if it were not for these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement