U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 08:40 PM

22,070 posts, read 14,631,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I already mentioned that I had to stay in bed the day after the second shot.

However, I don't care! That's because of an aunt who got shingles. The pain is hard to imagine and until she finally died, all she could do was lie on a couch with no clothes and just a sheet rigged so that it covered her but never actually touched her. She had tried all kinds of pain killers but they didn't work. She even tried acupuncture and that didn't work either.
I don't understand this, are you saying your aunt died after getting shingles? What did she die from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 10:30 AM

11,017 posts, read 21,652,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks. I'm concerned because I had lasting side effects from a medication pump; dealt with serious headaches for over a year. Various meds have also left me with bad side effects like feeling like acid is running thru my vein on my left leg. I'm also allergic to various meds and med fillers, even steroids.

I'm going to the pharmacy Wednesday. If he has the vaccine I'll get it. If he doesn't then I'm going to take it as a sign and think about it some more.
Went to my pharmacy today, they have the vaccine but the pharmacist who gives them is put for 2 days. I then went to my local Walmart to see if they had it in stock. They do but their computers were down, they weren't able to do anything. They couldn't even tell me how much it costs.

I guess my Angel's are trying to tell me not to get the vaccine. I don't know what I'm going to do. I do have to go back to that pharmacy because one of my scripts needs authorization. If the pharmacist that gives them is there I may get it; if he's not; I'm going to consider that 3 strikes and I'm out.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:33 AM

5,757 posts, read 3,046,581 times
There is no superior being telling you to get or not get the vaccine.

It is your responsibility to weigh the pros and cons and decide based on the facts.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:41 AM

87,422 posts, read 103,555,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
There is no superior being telling you to get or not get the vaccine.

It is your responsibility to weigh the pros and cons and decide based on the facts.
Agreed!

Old 08-21-2019, 01:38 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,760,723 times
I believe in the theory that the first impulse is always correct. You need to get the shot.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:42 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,304,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I don't understand this, are you saying your aunt died after getting shingles? What did she die from?
I don't think she died from shingles. She never recovered though and didn't live much longer. I don't know exactly what she finally died from. She must have been very run down and she was elderly.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:47 PM

1,681 posts, read 1,032,660 times
Update:
I posted way back on the first page. My only reaction to the first vaccine was a mildly sore arm and some tiredness. 33 hours ago, I received my second vaccine. The pharmacist who injected me said I was likely to experience the same reaction to this one as my first.

I am more tired (lethargy), my arm is sore and I have just a small amount of body aches. So, not so bad. I was expecting th3 worst but was lucky and only experienced very mild discomfort both times.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:06 AM

135 posts, read 97,601 times
I got my first Shingrix shingles vaccination a couple hours ago. No problems so far.

I did have the old shingles vaccination about 6 years ago, but don't recall any unusual reaction to it. I'll keep you posted what happens with this shot.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:37 AM

135 posts, read 97,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I got my first Shingrix shingles vaccination a couple hours ago. No problems so far.

I did have the old shingles vaccination about 6 years ago, but don't recall any unusual reaction to it. I'll keep you posted what happens with this shot.

Good news! I slept very well last night. No fever. No chills. No freezing. No pain. I was expecting the worst, but actually feel quite good this morning. There is a slight soreness in the shoulder muscle at the injection site, but it's hardly worth mentioning.

It has been almost 24 hours now and I suppose that I could start feeling worse later, but as of right now my reaction to the shot has been pretty much a zero.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:00 PM

2,030 posts, read 5,048,487 times
I had the old one in 2014 and then the double dose of Shingrix in 2018. 1st one was painful arm for a few days and a few hours of "eh" feeling, like I hadn't had enough sleep or was coming down with something, not much appetite. Sort of stayed in the house and read magazines, drank a lot of liquids. Second day I was fine, still had a sore arm, like a bee sting; hard, red, warm for about 3 more days, but felt fine.

Second dose 3 months later~no reaction except sore arm for about 24 hours. I had a whopper case of chicken pox as a kid, and am doing all I can to prevent Shingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement