U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 03:11 PM

728 posts, read 225,625 times

Advertisements

No, no reaction cause I dont get the vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 04:09 PM

534 posts, read 461,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
No, no reaction cause I dont get the vaccine.
Given that the thread does not apply to you, why the compulsion to respond to it?

—————

Back to the original topic - I took my second dose last week. The reaction was stronger. Had one miserable day (body ache, possibly fever) but it then went away. Not great but beats getting shingles.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:05 AM

11,082 posts, read 21,700,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Pharmacy day today. Greg the owner was there, the vax was $8. He was expecting it to be $50-$100 due to my insurance but I'm out if the donut hole. So I did it.

My arm is sore. My upper gums and the roof of my mouth started tingling before I even got to my car. As I started driving, my tongue and throat started tingling. I really hope it goes away and doesn't turn into an allergic reaction.

He wants me back in 2 months. I'll get the 2nd in December as long as I'm ok from this one.
My left arm was killing me all night. My throat is also sore; I woke up with a bad headache. Will see how the day goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Given that the thread does not apply to you, why the compulsion to respond to it?

—————

Back to the original topic - I took my second dose last week. The reaction was stronger. Had one miserable day (body ache, possibly fever) but it then went away. Not great but beats getting shingles.
Upping their post count maybe?

Old 09-19-2019, 05:52 AM

6,730 posts, read 3,485,543 times
My husband had his second shot last week — no reactions except mild arm pain for a day.
His first shot he had a mild headache for a day.
I had to get my Prevar 13 shot so won’t get my second shingrix shot for another month.
No reactions to Prevar 13 shot.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:05 AM

534 posts, read 461,443 times
As mentioned above, my second shot was a bit harder. Started feeling feverish with body pain on the day I had the shot. On the morning of the second day, I was prepping breakfast and felt a bit faint. Had to sit down to avoid falling. Started sweating big time and feeling very hot (a bit like hot flash of some sort). It went away after a while and all returned to normal when I had the breakfast. It’s possible that it was due to not having had anything to eat - but definitely not normal. The rest of the day was some body pain and perhaps fever that I never checked. Woke up some time at night and felt the fever had broken. The third day I was almost back to normal.

None of this should discourage anyone. None of this was terrible and I’d do it again in a heartbeat for this purpose.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:56 PM

17,653 posts, read 17,920,323 times
I had my first shot yesterday and had absolutely no reaction (not even a sore arm).

Old 09-20-2019, 10:30 PM

22,164 posts, read 14,684,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
When I inquired at my Walgreen's, a fairly small suburban store, a few days ago they said they had Shingrix in stock.
Sure, just about all of these stores have it in stock, but unless things have changed, they get 10 doses per month. That's only 10 people per month that can get the shot. At the Walgreens I checked there were 50 people on the waiting list, which meant a 5 month wait, but my doctor had it and I scheduled my first one for the following week.

I'm in good physical condition and felt terrible for about 6-8 hours after the second shot, felt fine after the shot until I went to bed, and then I felt like I had the flu when I woke up, and had to leave work early. If you're still working like I am, I'd schedule your appointment for a day you're off, or leave work early to get it done.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:30 AM

11,082 posts, read 21,700,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Sure, just about all of these stores have it in stock, but unless things have changed, they get 10 doses per month. That's only 10 people per month that can get the shot. At the Walgreens I checked there were 50 people on the waiting list, which meant a 5 month wait, but my doctor had it and I scheduled my first one for the following week.
I didn't realize they only get 10 vaccines a month. I chose the pharmacy I did because it's privately owned and not a Walgreens or Rite Aid. I don't think he gets many people wanting or needing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm in good physical condition and felt terrible for about 6-8 hours after the second shot, felt fine after the shot until I went to bed, and then I felt like I had the flu when I woke up, and had to leave work early. If you're still working like I am, I'd schedule your appointment for a day you're off, or leave work early to get it done.
I told my cousin that works that he should try to get it on a Friday in case he has a reaction. I've followed 3 or 4 threads here on this vaccine; the 1st shot mostly gives arm pain but the 2nd one is the one that gets most people down for a few days with flu like symptoms. Seems to be a handful of people that lucked out with no reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My left arm was killing me all night. My throat is also sore; I woke up with a bad headache. Will see how the day goes.
My arm pain finally went away over night. I still have the headache. Hoping today is the last day of having a headache.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:05 AM

5,805 posts, read 3,084,661 times
People’s symptoms reported have not been as bad as having shingles.

I will get the second shot on a day after which I can rest, if necessary.

Where I used to work and got free flu shots, the company provided them only on a Friday. I think at that time, the vaccines contained live but weakened flu viruses.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:55 PM

23,716 posts, read 28,881,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
People’s symptoms reported have not been as bad as having shingles.

I will get the second shot on a day after which I can rest, if necessary.

Where I used to work and got free flu shots, the company provided them only on a Friday. I think at that time, the vaccines contained live but weakened flu viruses.
The shots have always been killed virus. The nasal mist contains weakened virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement