U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 10:28 PM

23,805 posts, read 28,983,331 times

Advertisements

On availability:

https://gskpro.com/en-us/products/sh...C55ADF0AD&pid=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 09:56 AM

4,600 posts, read 5,579,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The new vaccine is different. It is a two shot series.

Did you see your doctor about the sore? It is difficult for me to attribute it to the vaccine.
Thanks for your reply.

I never had a sore like that in my life. It was very red, deep, and painful and has not appeared again after all the years. The next time I saw my doctor I told him about the reaction but by then it was healed. I suspect it was a mild form of shingles.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:06 PM

23,805 posts, read 28,983,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I never had a sore like that in my life. It was very red, deep, and painful and has not appeared again after all the years. The next time I saw my doctor I told him about the reaction but by then it was healed. I suspect it was a mild form of shingles.
That sounds more like a boil, which is a bacterial infection, than shingles, which causes clusters of small blisters along the path of a nerve.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...ngles-pictures

Old 09-27-2019, 03:35 PM

11,159 posts, read 21,759,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Sorry about this experience and perhaps the advice. I suggest you get a second opinion as one shot will not be sufficient. Also, it is perhaps best to get the second shot, should you get one, in a hospital setting.

When I received a shot (in a pharmacy located in a major hospital), I was advised to stay in the general area for 20 minutes after the shot. The pharmacist advised me specific symptoms to look for during this period - and be back if I noticed anything remotely resembling them. He said that they are prepared to address an adverse reaction, should one occur. Here is some information from CDC. I am sure you can get further details by googling it.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html

All the best!
Thanks but I'm going to pass on the 2nd shot. I don't want to push my luck. I had the vax 10 days ago and am still dealing with side effects. I've felt like I had a mild case of flu that started after getting it.

I did report my side effects but I doubt anything will come of it

Old 09-27-2019, 05:24 PM

2,833 posts, read 796,425 times
I got a flu shot today (a little earlier than I expected, but I was there getting a stitch in my finger after cutting it with a knife) and I told him about my and my husband's severe reactions to Shingrix. He was a little surprised, but didn't deny there could be major reactions. Then he said that people with good immune systems are more likely to have a quicker and stronger reaction to vaccines than those with weaker, less developed immune systems. I had never heard this, but my ego liked the idea that I have a superior immune system!

Old 09-28-2019, 12:02 PM

1,906 posts, read 867,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I sent my GP a message to tell her I had the vaccine; also told her about the side effects. She told me not to get the 2nd shot because she's afraid I'll have anaphylactic reaction; she said at this point the vaccine could possibly kill me. I'm going to think about it for the next few months then make a decision.

My headache finally went away today.
Listen to your doctor, don't get the second shot. The reaction you encountered is not normal. What is normal is flu like symptoms, headaches.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:12 PM

1,906 posts, read 867,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Years ago when I had a shingles shot I developed a huge sore on my face which was very painful and lasted more than a week. I suspect it was the result of the shot since it started only a day two after I had it.

You folks are confusing me. I'll ask here since my doctor was less than informative. If I had a shingles shot maybe ten or so years ago, is that the first shot, or is the new vaccine a two shot series? Since the supply is so limited I haven't been able to find it so the question may be moot.

Thanks!
What you got was Zostavax. It was a one time shot and is not as long lasting. Doctors are recommending getting the newer vaccine (2 doses) Shringrex if you got Zostavax. I got Zostavax maybe 5 years ago and haven't gotten the new one yet.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:27 AM

145 posts, read 70,740 times
ms gamboolgal and i just had our 2nd Shingles shot.

We also got the Flu shot in the other arm at the same time.

Arms abit sore on ms gamboolgal from the Flu shot.

Not much reaction for us - fortunately.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Listen to your doctor, don't get the second shot. The reaction you encountered is not normal. What is normal is flu like symptoms, headaches.
I decided the other day I'm not getting it. Kicking myself. I knew I probably shouldn't get it. I'm thankful the 1st one didn't mess me up as much as it could have. My body has been so weird since the shot. Still dealing with feeling like I have a low grade fever. I was throwing up bad for a few hours last night. Couldn't even get out of the bathroom. So glad we have 3 for others to use.

I'm thankful I never got the old vaccine after I turned 50 4 years ago. They turned me away. I totally forgot about it until I told my cousin the other day after he told me he had the old vaccine. I'm sure that one would have done me in. I then ended up having shingles at 51.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Funny there shouldn't have been shortages this year because they say they've been shipping more vaccines starting in Dec 2018. I guess they're still not shipping enough to some pharmacies. It's not doctors vaccinating, it's the public going to pharmacies. My doctor doesn't stock it, does anyones

From your link.

Quote:
SHINGRIX: Supply Update

The accelerated adoption of SHINGRIX has led to an unprecedented level of demand.

Healthcare professionals have adopted SHINGRIX and are now vaccinating against shingles at a much higher rate than in previous years.

Supplying the US market remains our highest priority, and we are committed to increasing and accelerating SHINGRIX supply. For 2019, we plan to bring significantly more doses to the US compared to 2018.

GSK plans to consistently release large shipments of doses into the marketplace 2 times a month starting in December of 2018.

As healthcare professionals are vaccinating with SHINGRIX at an unprecedented rate, ordering limits and allocations should still be expected and individual customer resupply experiences will vary.

While demand still exceeds supply, the increased and consistent supply should provide reassurance that patients will have an opportunity to complete the 2-dose series within the 2-6 month dosing window.

The CDC has guidance on the 2-dose window for SHINGRIX—click here for full dosing information.

There have been no manufacturing issues.

Thank you again for your partnership and commitment to protecting appropriate patients from shingles. Please do not hesitate to contact GSK with any further questions. You may reach us at 1-800-772-9292 or contact your GSK Vaccines Representative today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement