U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 11:13 AM

1,906 posts, read 868,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I decided the other day I'm not getting it. Kicking myself. I knew I probably shouldn't get it. I'm thankful the 1st one didn't mess me up as much as it could have. My body has been so weird since the shot. Still dealing with feeling like I have a low grade fever. I was throwing up bad for a few hours last night. Couldn't even get out of the bathroom. So glad we have 3 for others to use.

I'm thankful I never got the old vaccine after I turned 50 4 years ago. They turned me away. I totally forgot about it until I told my cousin the other day after he told me he had the old vaccine. I'm sure that one would have done me in. I then ended up having shingles at 51.
Well while you can get shingles twice it is rare more than twice so perhaps with part one of the flu shot and having shingles your immune system will fight it off. How come they told you not to get the original one? BTW CDC does not recommend anyone who got a reaction like you did to get the second shot. As your doctor said, it could be quite life threatening. I wonder what is in it that causes allergic reactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 12:36 PM

11,163 posts, read 21,763,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Well while you can get shingles twice it is rare more than twice so perhaps with part one of the flu shot and having shingles your immune system will fight it off. How come they told you not to get the original one? BTW CDC does not recommend anyone who got a reaction like you did to get the second shot. As your doctor said, it could be quite life threatening. I wonder what is in it that causes allergic reactions.
I wish I knew what is in it that I'm allergic to. Normally morphine closes my throat or whatever was in the long acting morphine did it. I have a connective tissue disorder.

I really don''t want it again. I'm lucky it didn't take out my eye but I saw my Dr quick. They got me right in that day and to an eye Dr the next

Old 09-29-2019, 01:26 PM

23,839 posts, read 28,992,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Funny there shouldn't have been shortages this year because they say they've been shipping more vaccines starting in Dec 2018. I guess they're still not shipping enough to some pharmacies. It's not doctors vaccinating, it's the public going to pharmacies. My doctor doesn't stock it, does anyones

From your link.
I am not sure what your point is. The part you quoted also says,

"While demand still exceeds supply, the increased and consistent supply should provide reassurance that patients will have an opportunity to complete the 2-dose series within the 2-6 month dosing window."

That means pharmacists will put patients needing the second dose ahead of those getting the first dose.

Many doctors do not stock vaccines because of the expense of buying and storing them. Refrigeration temperatures must be monitored and a back-up power supply is needed in the event of an outage.

If you want the vaccine covered by insurance you still need to have a prescription even if the shot is actually given by a pharmacist, so you still have a physician involved.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:05 PM

6,110 posts, read 9,690,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
. . .

If you want the vaccine covered by insurance you still need to have a prescription even if the shot is actually given by a pharmacist, so you still have a physician involved.
The pharmacist where I went (a CVS in California) provided the prescription for me, and my insurance was fine with that.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:59 AM

4,963 posts, read 3,441,784 times
I had the second shot yesterday.

Doing good.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:53 PM

4,568 posts, read 3,904,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have been following this thread closely. I had the older shingles vaccine. I want to get the 2 part shot but, living alone, I have a great fear of being sick. But from what I am reading, it only lasts a few days if at all. So I guess I will schedule both shots on Fridays and have the weekend to recover.
I have know quite a few people who got shingles and I don't want to get it.

There is still the problem of availability of the shots, in this area.
I knew several people who got shingles. You do not want to get it and living alone could make it a lot harder on you if you do. I would get the shot. I did.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:48 PM

I had gotten that first shot years ago. When I heard there was an improved vaccine for shingles, I knew I would get them (2 shots).

My son texted me a couple of months ago..... he has shingles and they were very painful. Fortunately he got to a doctor who gave him meds to help with the pain. They (the shingles) lasted a long time.

I'm glad I have gotten my shots.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:15 PM

4,757 posts, read 4,674,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
...As I mentioned in a previous post I did not have any type of reaction with the first dose except for a sore arm...
Because of this thread, getting the Shingrix inoculation has been on my mind the past few months. Last week, my doc's receptionist said to go to the pharmacy, which I did this morning. I wanted them to contact my insurance to see how much I would have to pay. Not much, so they went ahead and gave me the first dose this morning.

Similar to what others who have reported in this thread, my upper arm is a bit sore, but otherwise no effects. I'm a "side sleeper" and will probably be sleeping on my right side tonight, (shot was in the upper left arm).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-07-2019, 06:29 PM

549 posts, read 467,391 times
Unfortunately the day after the vaccine is when you might feel something. I felt flu like symptoms. My wife also got the vaccine today!

Old 10-07-2019, 07:00 PM

My son just went through a wicked case of shingles. He is 55 and lives out of state.

He gave me a pretty descriptive idea of what he was going through. Shingles are very painful, they seem to last forever, and other things I can't remember right now.

If I had to choose between a sore arm/flu-like symptoms and shingles, I would take sore arm/flu-like symptoms any day of the week.

Don't let the fear of some discomfort keep you from getting the shots. Guaranteed, you will not like what you suffer if you get shingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement