U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:31 AM

2,788 posts, read 1,593,239 times

Advertisements

I had no reactions to the shots, but did get shingles anyway a few years later. Fortunately, it cleared after a few months. No residual pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 AM

1,197 posts, read 777,010 times
no

Old 08-12-2019, 07:49 AM

10,860 posts, read 21,507,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I had no reactions to the shots, but did get shingles anyway a few years later. Fortunately, it cleared after a few months. No residual pain.
Since you said a few years ago, I assume you had the older shot, called Zostavax not the new Shingrix. Even after having the older vaccine, you can have the newer one that's supposed to offer better protection. I actually have stats in one thread in the health section. I wasn't to say that it protects 35% of the people that do get it but it does not stop everyone from getting shingles. It's another reason that I may end up passing on it because I could end up with life long side effects with a vaccine that may not even help.

I'll see if I can find the other thread with the stats I found.

*Note, I'm not against the vaccine. I am seriously considering getting it but it's not an easy decision for me.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:13 AM

2,788 posts, read 1,593,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Since you said a few years ago, I assume you had the older shot, called Zostavax not the new Shingrix. Even after having the older vaccine, you can have the newer one that's supposed to offer better protection. I actually have stats in one thread in the health section. I wasn't to say that it protects 35% of the people that do get it but it does not stop everyone from getting shingles. It's another reason that I may end up passing on it because I could end up with life long side effects with a vaccine that may not even help.
Correct, but I knew that. I just confirmed the statistic that it wasn't 100% effective.

At the time, Shingrex was in very short supply, so it wasn't an option. How is the supply situation now?

What long term side effects? I can't find any, and the short term side effects are far better than shingles, which often does have severe long term side effects.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:39 AM

1,748 posts, read 3,213,383 times
Got my first shot last Friday and my wife received her second. Both of us have the sore arms for a few days as well as feeling a little down the first full day. Wife said this second time was a bit worse than the first.

We were lucky to find it at one pharmacy when everyone else had been out for weeks. Was told that by the time I get my second in 2-6 months there should be no supply problem and it will be easily available.

We’ve had several close friends and family that have had shingles and with what they described they went through, it was an easy decision to get the vaccine.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 AM

21,800 posts, read 14,500,013 times
Ill let you know what happens after the second shot, I get it tomorrow. I went in for the first shot suffering from the lingering effects of an upper respiratory virus which made me sick for 6 weeks (never experienced anything like that in my life, never had been sick for more than a couple days) so I can’t say it was the shot that made me feel bad but I did experience some flu like symptoms. Now I feel fine and I’ll know for sure if it’s the shot or not if I feel bad.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:56 AM

2,126 posts, read 1,242,827 times
The results have been excellent for the newer Glaxosmithkline vaccine compared to the older Merk version. Looks like my dividend is safe. I am mid 50s, and am debating waiting for Medicare to pay at 65. A friend said he had shingles and the wind blowing on his face was excruciating. I haven't heard of adverse reactions from either vaccine, but know quite a few who had bad reactions from flu shots and or got the flu anyways, so I have never got one of those. Don't like the bs marketing, either, a huge Cash cow for CVS and all those clinics that make a killing off them.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:07 AM

3,674 posts, read 1,609,695 times
No reaction to shingles vax or yellow fever, btw. Or any others. (either of us)

Old 08-12-2019, 09:12 AM

5,587 posts, read 2,935,461 times
I had shingles in 2009 and got the old vaccine after someone told me he had had shingles TWICE, and the second case did permanent damage.

Thought I was done when “they” said shingles was a one-time thing, then thought I was done after getting that vaccination.

Hah! Wait till they tell us that we need yet another vaccine even if we had Shingrix. Stay tuned...

Old 08-12-2019, 09:19 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,304,068 times
I had that first shot years ago but did ask my doctor if I should get the newer ones. She said yes, and then I asked the pharmacist (I like more than one opinion). Pharmacist agreed, yes I should get it, so I got the first of two shots about a month ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement