U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 AM

5,928 posts, read 4,928,765 times

Advertisements

I got both mine at Walmart. You don't need a scrip, and most insurance will pay for it now if you're over 50. Walmart seems to get a large supply, and they will take your name on a list if they are temporarily out, and then call you when a resupply comes in. They can check quickly if your insurance will cover it. Without insurance, it's about $170 per shot, and you must have two shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:50 AM

5,928 posts, read 4,928,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I do hope everyone getting the shot has actually had chicken pox. Because if you haven't there isnt any need to.
There is no harm in getting the shot if you didn't have chicken pox. Many people don't know if they had chicken pox, or had a very mild case. I was exposed twice by siblings who had it, literally sleeping in the same room with me, but it never developed in me. I got the shots because of my exposures.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 AM

4,450 posts, read 2,673,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I do hope everyone getting the shot has actually had chicken pox. Because if you haven't there isnt any need to.
I don't recall having chicken pox and my sister does not recall that I had it either. So I asked my doc for a chicken pox titre which will tell if I had had it. It came back positive. Doc said kids can get mild cases of chicken pox and not realize they have had it.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:58 AM

106 posts, read 102,726 times
Not of age to get the shot but have given a whole load of them within the past year. Haven't had anyone complain of anything more than a sore arm, which can be expected from any injection, even when specifically asked.
I have come across people who received either the first dose or complete course from others who didn't get as lucky...

Old 08-13-2019, 08:02 AM
mlb

3,275 posts, read 2,900,310 times
As a kid I had chicken pox more than once- as if my immune system did not register it. And both my husband and I had family members contract shingles so we knew we were going to get the shots. The first vaccine came out years ago and we got it without complications.

The second - shringrix- we got the first shot right before I retired in Utah....and then when we moved to California got the second within 7 months.

That second shot - administered by a Walmart pharmacist - wholloped my husband putting him in bed for 3 days. He felt like hell. I only had a painful injection site.

Still....after all that, it’s waaaaay better than getting shingles.

Last edited by mlb; 08-13-2019 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-13-2019, 08:11 AM

5,593 posts, read 2,935,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I actually tried to get the vaccine around the time I turned 50 but they wouldn't give it. I wasn't old enough they said. I then got shingles a year later. I haven't tried to get the vaccine yet because I'm on the fence.

Someone mentioned they had a script from their doctor. Is a script needed?
There was no waiting list for mine last week, but I had to call ahead so the pharmacist could prepare the vaccine, about an hourís notice in this case.

After I had shingles in 2009, I got the then-current vaccine. I was too young to qualify for the insurance to pay for it, so I paid it myself. I think it did require a prescription then.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:14 AM

480 posts, read 435,618 times
What is the best choice of gap between the first and second shots and whether it affects the reaction. I and my wife got our first shot about a month ago - had a mild reaction the day after the shot but nothing terrible. We were advised to get the second shot between 2 to 6 months after the first shot. I am tempted to get the second shot after 2 months to get it over with but wondering about the correlation between gap and the severity of reaction. Even outside of that, does anyone have any information about whether it is better to be closer to 2 months or 6?

Old 08-13-2019, 08:18 AM

5,593 posts, read 2,935,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
What is the best choice of gap between the first and second shots and whether it affects the reaction. I and my wife got our first shot about a month ago - had a mild reaction the day after the shot but nothing terrible. We were advised to get the second shot between 2 to 6 months after the first shot. I am tempted to get the second shot after 2 months to get it over with but wondering about the correlation between gap and the severity of reaction. Even outside of that, does anyone have any information about whether it is better to be closer to 2 months or 6?
I was told the second one should happen between 2 and 6 months later. I wonder if getting the flu shot around the same date will cause problems? The brochure said that it does not. I was hoping to get both done in one visit, in early November.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:08 AM

5,511 posts, read 2,815,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Why is everyone taking Benadryl? Isn't that an antihistamine for allergies?
I keep Benadryl around in case I have an allergic reaction to shrimp. I love shrimp and I'll risk the reaction and eat them anyway. The last time I had a reaction to them was about 10 years ago and in 20+ years, I've only had about three or four reactions all together, even though I eat shrimp all the time (somebody told me the shrimp are getting dirtier, especially those raised overseas and that may be causing my reactions to them).

Benadryl is also much better than any sleeping tablet I've ever taken, so sometimes I use them just for that. Not very often (they're expensive), just once in a blue moon. The blue moon in this case being the day I got that second shingles vaccination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm 81 and don't believe I'll end up with them...My parents lived into 90's and never had the shots, I don't even believe they had them back in those days. There are many ways to keep a healthy immune system.
It doesn't really have anything to do with the immune system. Once you have chickenpox, the virus goes dormant in your body and it can be reactivated anytime, but usually reactivates with stress. 'Course, these days, just watching the news can cause a person major stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I actually tried to get the vaccine around the time I turned 50 but they wouldn't give it. I wasn't old enough they said. I then got shingles a year later. I haven't tried to get the vaccine yet because I'm on the fence.

Someone mentioned they had a script from their doctor. Is a script needed?
I always though it was stupid when they wouldn't let you get the vaccine at age 50, since most people who are going to get shingles get them then. I also tried to get the vaccine when I was 56 and they refused.

I didn't need a prescription. I just went into the pharmacy and got the shot (when they finally had the vaccine in).

For those of you wondering, I'm on Medicare and the cost for my vaccination each time was only $8.50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I don't recall having chicken pox and my sister does not recall that I had it either. So I asked my doc for a chicken pox titre which will tell if I had had it. It came back positive. Doc said kids can get mild cases of chicken pox and not realize they have had it.
I remember having chickenpox as a child only because of how sick I wasn't. I was delighted to stay home from school and not actually be "sick". In my 8-year-world, I would have welcomed chickenpox every week. So for me, it was also a very mild disease.

Shingles on the other hand...I had them around my mouth, my nose, up my cheek, lower and upper eyelid, and into my hairline. There's a nerve called the otic nerve which is on the tip of your nose and if a shingle lands there, it can affect your vision. I had to get my eyes checked twice to make sure I would be OK, since I had shingles sores so close to that area.

The worst part though, was my doctor originally misdiagnosed it, giving the shingles a two day start. I went back in because the sores were starting to blister and I knew that wasn't right. I saw another doctor and he diagnosed them right away, but because there had been a two day delay in treatment, I had them longer.

At one point a couple weeks after all the sores healed and I was back at work, I was driving in one morning and on the highway, I had a pain just lance across the side of my face. It was so horrible I had to pull over on the road and just sit there until it went away. I understand that's called TN pain (pain in the trigeminal nerve) and for some people who get shingles, that pain never goes away. Many people who have TN commit suicide and after what happened to me on the highway, I don't blame them a bit. I know I couldn't live with pain like that.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:35 AM

48 posts, read 29,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I was told the second one should happen between 2 and 6 months later. I wonder if getting the flu shot around the same date will cause problems? The brochure said that it does not. I was hoping to get both done in one visit, in early November.
There should be no conflict. I'm scheduled to get the second shot in November, in conjunction with my annual flu shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement