U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:36 AM

3,738 posts, read 1,911,578 times

Advertisements

Benadryl is also much better than any sleeping tablet I've ever taken, so sometimes I use them just for that. Not very often (they're expensive), just once in a blue moon. The blue moon in this case being the day I got that second shingles vaccination.

My doctor told me one time, when I complained about not sleeping, not to take a TylenolPM, just take a Benedryl as that was the PM part of the med....no need to have the Tylenol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 10:30 AM

106 posts, read 102,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
What is the best choice of gap between the first and second shots and whether it affects the reaction. I and my wife got our first shot about a month ago - had a mild reaction the day after the shot but nothing terrible. We were advised to get the second shot between 2 to 6 months after the first shot. I am tempted to get the second shot after 2 months to get it over with but wondering about the correlation between gap and the severity of reaction. Even outside of that, does anyone have any information about whether it is better to be closer to 2 months or 6?
Not necessarily an answer to your question but even though the optimal window is 2-6 months the series is not restarted if the window is missed.

I haven't heard of any correlation between severity of reaction and the delay in the second dose.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:19 AM

9,623 posts, read 6,373,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
After reading various threads I was so worried about getting this shot. It sounded like the side effects were terrible. I was even making plans not to go to work etc. I had the shot and had no reaction at all except my arm was sore for a couple of days.

That's the normal reaction, if any

Old 08-13-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I actually tried to get the vaccine around the time I turned 50 but they wouldn't give it. I wasn't old enough they said. I then got shingles a year later. I haven't tried to get the vaccine yet because I'm on the fence.

Someone mentioned they had a script from their doctor. Is a script needed?

Get off the fence. You can get shingles more than once

You don't need an Rx.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
What is the best choice of gap between the first and second shots and whether it affects the reaction. I and my wife got our first shot about a month ago - had a mild reaction the day after the shot but nothing terrible. We were advised to get the second shot between 2 to 6 months after the first shot. I am tempted to get the second shot after 2 months to get it over with but wondering about the correlation between gap and the severity of reaction. Even outside of that, does anyone have any information about whether it is better to be closer to 2 months or 6?

The recommended time between doses in 2 to 6 months. I advised patents to wait until closer to 6 months. But, with the shortages today, I now recommend to get back in line at 2 months

Old 08-13-2019, 11:56 AM

2,659 posts, read 1,401,314 times
Most people report upper arm soreness after the Shingrix vaccine. This is normal with an IM (intramuscular) injection, as per the medical books. So it's not necessarily the vaccine, just the method of delivering it.

We did have slight "just don't feel so great today" symptoms, as well as the injection site soreness, more so after the second shot. But in a day or two all was fine.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:37 PM

3,923 posts, read 1,531,967 times
from my original post from last year on the local page:

well, it was more intense than the other inoculations i have had.
i am glad i got it, and i wanted people to be aware of the afterwards.

the story:
the Chapel Hill area drug stores are "out" of the new Shingrix vaccine. a Walgreens tech told me they started a waiting list, but it got to 125 and they quit. so, i was in Burlington, stopped in and they had it and i got it. (there are TWO shots needed. my follow-up is in October). my arm hurt just like a regular flu or tetanus or pneumonia shot. the shot was given around Noon. by 6PM my arm hurt enough that i did not want to raise my hand above my head. if my arm was by my side, it did not hurt at all, and when i say "hurt", i mean like a flu shot "tightness" that is 3X more intense. that night i had fever symptoms. shivering then sweating. over and over. i am glad i did not have to go to work the next morning. took some aspirin about 5AM, and slept until 10:30 AM. i was groggy, but better. the arm soreness went away that day, and everything is fine now......BUT when i get the 2nd shot, i will not plan anything for the next day.

i am not complaining. i will do it again. i have seen shingles. the after effects are worth it if it works.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:00 PM

6,534 posts, read 3,643,475 times
My husband had shingles 2 years after getting the vaccination. My SIL had it at 32 as the father of a newborn. My daughter had it at 38 on her face and thought was acne. NONE of them said it was extremely painful just itchy. My daughter said it did not even itch.

I had a rash on my back last year. Looked like prickly heat. It itched but only if my clothing or bra touched it. Was it shingles? Who knows? I do not go to doctors. It cleared up on it's own in a couple of weeks.

I am not going to a doctor to get a shingles vaccination, or anything else. I too would have to pay full price because I do not have drug coverage. Husband hasn't gotten the new one. Certainly, my SIL and Daughter are far TOO YOUNG to be given it, unless they want to spend a few hundred dollars which they can use for something else in their lives.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:04 PM

6,534 posts, read 3,643,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
from my original post from last year on the local page:

well, it was more intense than the other inoculations i have had.
i am glad i got it, and i wanted people to be aware of the afterwards.

the story:
the Chapel Hill area drug stores are "out" of the new Shingrix vaccine. a Walgreens tech told me they started a waiting list, but it got to 125 and they quit. so, i was in Burlington, stopped in and they had it and i got it. (there are TWO shots needed. my follow-up is in October). my arm hurt just like a regular flu or tetanus or pneumonia shot. the shot was given around Noon. by 6PM my arm hurt enough that i did not want to raise my hand above my head. if my arm was by my side, it did not hurt at all, and when i say "hurt", i mean like a flu shot "tightness" that is 3X more intense. that night i had fever symptoms. shivering then sweating. over and over. i am glad i did not have to go to work the next morning. took some aspirin about 5AM, and slept until 10:30 AM. i was groggy, but better. the arm soreness went away that day, and everything is fine now......BUT when i get the 2nd shot, i will not plan anything for the next day.

i am not complaining. i will do it again. i have seen shingles. the after effects are worth it if it works.
I have seen it 3 maybe 4 times. How many times have you seen it?

Old 08-13-2019, 02:21 PM

1,690 posts, read 1,886,537 times
I've never had a flu shot and never gotten the flu but the shingles shot seems like it is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement